dji Goggles and Solo?

Reaction score
Has anyone tried dji Goggles with the Solo? I have been on the fence about picking up a pair for my MP/P4P but if they operated well with the Solo that may tip me over the fence.

Nah, I tried to get the Gear Vr goggles to work but gave it up. Because of DJI's proprietary transmission system, I doubt it would have any chance of working. Besides, the signal from the controller to your phone/tablet is pretty weak. Hmm I wonder if you could modify the controller to tablet connection without interfering with the controller to drone connection?

Has anyone tried dji Goggles with the Solo? I have been on the fence about picking up a pair for my MP/P4P but if they operated well with the Solo that may tip me over the fence.
Sure it works. You need a micro HDMI to micro HDMI cable to connect the Solo controller with the HDMI port of the DJI googles.

Sure it works. You need a micro HDMI to micro HDMI cable to connect the Solo controller with the HDMI port of the DJI googles.

Aha! I totally forgot a bout that! Geez! I was only looking at it from the Mavic/ wireless perspective. Obviously you won't have any control functions like you do with DJI products but you can hook them up to a video game so why not the Solo?

Last edited:
Does it work in the sense that the Solo's gimbal provides adequate smoothness or is it like a roller coaster ride? I tried out a pair when I was @ dji HQ in Shenzhen this summer and liked them but man were they hot. It did not help that temps in Shenzhen were 90 with more humidity than I have seen in my life.

Does it work in the sense that the Solo's gimbal provides adequate smoothness or is it like a roller coaster ride? I tried out a pair when I was @ dji HQ in Shenzhen this summer and liked them but man were they hot. It did not help that temps in Shenzhen were 90 with more humidity than I have seen in my life.

I don't know about the DJI goggles but it's the same with the Gear VR goggles. How do you let in air without letting in light?

The Yuneec skyview googles are a good option. I don't think your going to get head tilt to work with the dji googles so you'd be better off using a more basic set.

I just got a set and yes, you need a Micro HDMI to Micro HDMI cable. You need one that's straight rather than right-angle because the right-angle connector interferes with the Solo controller's tablet mount. Why finding a wide variety of micro to micro cables is so difficult is beyond me because I'd prefer right angle on the goggles.

Now, with regards to the goggles themselves, their lack of diopter adjustment has been commented on numerous times and it's a pretty big deal if you don't have 20-year-old eyesight. Clearly, DJI didn't do enough market research on this because people with 40-50 year old eyesight are more likely to have the disposable income to be able to afford these goggles. But I digress. I use readers that are probably 1.75+. I need a lot more power than that to get decent focus. The strongest readers I could find are 3.0+ and they're pretty close. I plan to buy a set of lens inserts from www.focus-fixers.com. They make them in greater power so I may opt for a set of 4.0 inserts.

Why did I go with DJI instead of a Glyph? Well, I may end up going over to the dark side and get a Mavik or working with people who have them and I wanted to be able to take advantage of the head tracking feature for the gimbal. Don't get me wrong. I love my Solo and still think the design has a lot of advantages over DJI products. I'm seriously considering rolling my own heavy lift copter with Sololink and a Green Cube mainly because I don't like the MacGyver nature of multiple radio links and standard R/C radios. It makes me wonder why a company like Futaba that actually sells a $3000 radio (yes, three THOUSAND dollars) hasn't gotten into the UAV ground control station product world.

I just got a set and yes, you need a Micro HDMI to Micro HDMI cable. You need one that's straight rather than right-angle because the right-angle connector interferes with the Solo controller's tablet mount. Why finding a wide variety of micro to micro cables is so difficult is beyond me because I'd prefer right angle on the goggles.

Now, with regards to the goggles themselves, their lack of diopter adjustment has been commented on numerous times and it's a pretty big deal if you don't have 20-year-old eyesight. Clearly, DJI didn't do enough market research on this because people with 40-50 year old eyesight are more likely to have the disposable income to be able to afford these goggles. But I digress. I use readers that are probably 1.75+. I need a lot more power than that to get decent focus. The strongest readers I could find are 3.0+ and they're pretty close. I plan to buy a set of lens inserts from www.focus-fixers.com. They make them in greater power so I may opt for a set of 4.0 inserts.

Why did I go with DJI instead of a Glyph? Well, I may end up going over to the dark side and get a Mavik or working with people who have them and I wanted to be able to take advantage of the head tracking feature for the gimbal. Don't get me wrong. I love my Solo and still think the design has a lot of advantages over DJI products. I'm seriously considering rolling my own heavy lift copter with Sololink and a Green Cube mainly because I don't like the MacGyver nature of multiple radio links and standard R/C radios. It makes me wonder why a company like Futaba that actually sells a $3000 radio (yes, three THOUSAND dollars) hasn't gotten into the UAV ground control station product world.

Agreed on the diopter issues. I tried a pair with a MP when I was in China and they worked but I know I'll need some readers to get true focus. I'm just not sure if I would use them after the inital try. I used some HD fat sharks and even with those being light/ergo compared to the dji's I did not see myself wearing them long term.

I love my 18MZ and 14MZ for that matter but I much prefer my MP's rc's ergonomics especially for flying something that does not need a complicated setup (rates etc...)

Last edited:
Agreed on the diopter issues. I tried a pair with a MP when I was in China and they worked but I know I'll need some readers to get true focus. I'm just not sure if I would use them after the inital try. I used some HD fat sharks and even with those being light/ergo compared to the dji's I did not see myself wearing them long term.

I love my 18MZ and 14MZ for that matter but I much prefer my MP's rc's ergonomics especially for flying something that does not need a complicated setup (rates etc...)

True. I'd have to dig out my old rc unit as I haven't used it in years! I have to say that I really like the Mavic controller setup better than any other I've ever tried. especially after I bought the phone mount from Polar Pro.

Ok, you guys (gals) are like herding cats. I tried everything I could think of to get my DJI goggles to show me video. I only succeeded in getting an Imax quality 3DR logo. What's the trick to make them work. Boot sequence, resolution, nothing seems to work for me. Thanks in advance if you have an answer.

The cable is the usual issue. You want to use a quality aftermarket cable from my understanding.

Reactions: PaulyDude
Just to add to my "cats" reference, there are a hundred diffirent posts about the goggles, go check those out. How to make them work with SOLO is the concept here. Stay focused people... Check this diopter lens link, mine are on the way...
focus-fixers
Happy flying!!

Absolutely! Just a friendly bump to keep topics, well..., on topic! I wish to thank my friend Wayne for the focus fixers tip.

And Bruce thanks, geeks sometimes get narrowly focused and frustrated when looking for an answer! Sorry if it came out wrong.

Hi guys I use the Flysight SpeXman One (SPX01) with my solo and yes you need a HD HDMI cable. I live in Fl. and heat is a big problem, but these have a FAN, Mult Diopter lens and picture in a picture ( To look at the controller ) light and comfee,.Resolution 854X480, FOV 30 degree.

Enh. Just trying to keep it congenial here. Believe me, I get the narrow focus thing, more than I'd really like to admit.

My personal experience over the past couple of weeks flying with goggles is that I need to pipe the tablet video output into the goggles instead of what comes out of the controller because you don't get any telemetry information (unless there's a setting I missed somewhere). I need to know at a minimum what the battery is doing. Now, I'm using Solex which has some more useful telemetry display and I want that in the goggles. Sadly, this is where the balkanization of Android rears its ugly head. There are no hardware standards so while a Galaxy Tab A works, you can't get video output from it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig