Distance issue

Reaction score
ok guys I read all over distances of 4k, 5k or more with the fpvlr antenna which I have, however I cannot get 2k of feet from mine? Doesn't matter if I'm in the country. What's wrong?

What altitude are you flying. I have achieved 3K at 200' with a bar or 2 left. The higher the altitude the better the connection and longer range.....that is what I have found.

I have the FPVLR, and got to 5K at 150'. I still had 2 bars left.
I think it all depends on the terrain, WiFi conjestion, cell towers in the vicinity. I live in the country and have gotten to nearly 4K with room to go further, just haven't pushed it yet.
Right now with Dove season going not sure I want to yet.

Reactions: Camron L Carter
That is so true,Raybro. I should have mentioned that I was in an area with no wifi on my analyzer, and it was very open. I could have gone a bit farther, but I saw some telephone poles on my tablet, and decided not to risk wires I could not see.

Raybro is right. Near my house in an abandoned housing development I get around 3k feet or so before RTH. There is power lines and other housing around so I'm sure there is plenty of wifi interference. On a cattle ranch in the middle of nowhere with no tall trees or structures I've gotten over 2 miles with just the FPVLR and no booster or other wifi mods.

Reactions: Raybro
Just for grins I replaced my stock antennas with two antennas I had from an old dead Linksys router. They are about three times longer than the stock antennas so I gave it a shot. WOW, I went out to 3,700 ft two times just to make sure it wasn't a fluke. My stock antenna would cut out about 700 ft. I'm a happy camper and didn't have to spend any extra cash.

Reactions: Lamda
I would add that humidity has a lot to do with it also. Humid air "conducts" more of the radio signal to ground,The "attenuation" shows up most here as limiting your distance. What is your humidity?

Last edited:
Just for grins I replaced my stock antennas with two antennas I had from an old dead Linksys router. They are about three times longer than the stock antennas so I gave it a shot. WOW, I went out to 3,700 ft two times just to make sure it wasn't a fluke. My stock antenna would cut out about 700 ft. I'm a happy camper and didn't have to spend any extra cash.
The Alfa is basically a wifi router antenna. I was ecstatic too @4,323ft:

image.jpeg

And this is the type of wifi interference I have in this area (lots of high-rise aparment buildings to the right):

image.jpeg

Reactions: Raybro

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44