Differences between iOS and Android

Reaction score
I hope this thread will contain a definitive list of differences to help others be informed.

Here's an example of what I found.

On the Android version of the Solo App, you can set the Solo's wifi password up to a maximum of 43 characters (I'll confirm again later). However, on the iOS version the max is 23 characters long.

Because of this difference, you may run into problems such as being unable to change the wifi password from an iOS if it was set with an Android and a password length of 24 characters or more.

Any of you notice this behavior and have any other bugs or differences to share?

P.S. I will mention the AR and geofence later. Needed to keep this brief for now.

Todo: convert below into a table

----
iOS Specific
  • Ground control systems: (to be listed)
  • iPhone's built-in barometer is used but only iPhone 6 and up are compatible. This is a great feature to have when using Follow Me since the Solo can automatically adjust for AGL altitude changes automatically

Android Specific:
  • Tower is available only on Android
  • Device's built-in barometer, even if it exists, is not used.

Last edited:
Barometer is used only in ios (more modern devices, 6 and up), which allows auto changing altitude during follow me.

Barometer is used only in ios (more modern devices, 6 and up), which allows auto changing altitude during follow me.

What about an iPad? If an iPad can use the barometer, what versions/generations?

No Barometer or Altimeter

Are you referring to what PdxSteve is talking about? If not, could you add more details?

What about an iPad? If an iPad can use the barometer, what versions/generations?
Not sure, here was the announcement for 2.4: 3D Robotics Announces Transformative New Software for Solo — 3DR News

Follow now offers a “leash” mode, where Solo will always follow from directly behind the subject. This can also be useful for obstacle avoidance; if the subject travels along a path with obstacles on either side (at a reasonable distance), Solo will take the same route. In addition to leash mode, Solo will also account for altitude changes (available on iPhone 6 and above) when following a subject climbing or descending slopes.

My total *guess* would be that anything released at the same time the iphone 6 was released, or since then, would work, as long as it's the cellular version of the device and not wifi only.

• on android map view is accessed by swiping left to right vs right to left.
  • on android you can use mapbox as a map tile provider
  • on android you can only cache maps by using mapbox and manually downloading. on ios, caching is done automatically.
  • on android you can go to wifi settings directly from the app to connect to solo wifi and return to the app by clicking the click to resume notification. on ios you have to manually go to wifi settings, but you can return to the app by clicking on the the notification.
  • on android you can select controller style, ios you can't.

thats all i can think of for now.

Reactions: Tamj
  • on android map view is accessed by swiping left to right vs right to left.
  • on android you can use mapbox as a map tile provider
  • on android you can only cache maps by using mapbox and manually downloading. on ios, caching is done automatically.
  • on android you can go to wifi settings directly from the app to connect to solo wifi and return to the app by clicking the click to resume notification. on ios you have to manually go to wifi settings, but you can return to the app by clicking on the the notification.
  • on android you can select controller style, ios you can't.
thats all i can think of for now.
Frank, I don't know why but I have no problem using Google maps on my Nexus 7. The maps from Mapbox don't look as good as Google.

Interesting. It's pretty vague.

I looked up the specs of the iPads. So far I found the following to have a barometer: iPad Mini 4 and iPad Air 2.

Dynamic altitude works great with the Mini 4, I have been using mine with Solo. Be sure you get the 4g version with GPS and barometer though.

Reactions: Tamj and Maddog
These are some great contributions. I'm surprised there are so many subtle design differences between the two. I had always assumed that the experience would be exact up til 2.4.

Does anyone know how to insert a table in this forum?

I just got a Samsung Elite tablet. I was using an iphone. I noticed that I do not have the choice to store video to camera roll as I could on the iphone. Is there some setting I am missing or is that not possible with Android

Hit Fly Solo button then press the Settings button. It should be at the bottom.

Shows up fine on my Android. Let me know if you don't have this option. This would be a strange thing to not have.

Edit: Sorry for the dim image. Had a dark screen filter enabled to make my screen less bright at night.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-12-04-09-00-54.png
    Screenshot_2016-12-04-09-00-54.png
    140.4 KB · Views: 13

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado