Dear 3DR

You are on beta firmware right? If litchi scrambles your P3 will DJI pay for your bird? And these are not the same Smart shots DJI has been advertising.
I dont care if they ever make it in to the native app. The apps developers are publishing (except one ive tried) are significantly more stable than other apps . I had some issues with the solo app... Never a crash on the litchi. Regardless of alpha, beta, or GA release, its stable and its better..

Look, ive owned a solo, and i want it to succeed because i hate DJI, and I hate the stale phantom look. GO back and read my HUGE list of pros and cons (it was probably the most comprehensive posted here) I wanted solo to be it.
Had i owned it instead of a p3p (i had both) my entire flying season would be gone waiting for it to be a flying camera instead of a drone. thats all im saying.

buy DJI from amazon. 30 days there too.. i did it with the p2v+. My support experience when trying to return my solo (within the 30 days) was awful. I spoke to no less than 5 people, ALL of whom denied me my refudn. Rich STILL (a month or more) later does not have his money back, and they just billed him for the gimbal. I hope i never have to use DJI support as i KNOW its bad. I was hoping 3dr support was better, but my experience was not at all like that.
I am sorry but that is NOT the experience I have had. When my Solo broke, I was mad. They gave me an RMA to send to them AND an RMA to send it back to Dronefly. I took them up on the repair and had it back in less than two weeks.

That would NEVER happen with DJI, and I know. I am a customer, and have dealt with them.

Reactions: Ian [P13]
You are right earldgrayjr, DJI sucks at support, but my support as i said was just as bad.
I was promised 30 days, and did not get it. I talked to supervisors, as high as i could go, and i was told because I didnt pre order the gimbal from best buy (nevermind that best buy wouldnt allow me to, even though i tried) they would not refund my money.

Of course this was at a time when people were sending them back in droves and they were trying to hold on to revenue any way they can, but they sh*t on me, spent an hour convincing me that the solo was great and that i should keep it. false promises from support...
They are more reactive than DJI sure, but push comes to shove, they burned me..
Luckily someone reminded me of the Best Buy Elite Member return being 45 days and i happened to return it on the 45th day (just by luck)

I dont care if they ever make it in to the native app. The apps developers are publishing (except one ive tried) are significantly more stable than other apps . I had some issues with the solo app... Never a crash on the litchi. Regardless of alpha, beta, or GA release, its stable and its better..

Look, ive owned a solo, and i want it to succeed because i hate DJI, and I hate the stale phantom look. GO back and read my HUGE list of pros and cons (it was probably the most comprehensive posted here) I wanted solo to be it.
Had i owned it instead of a p3p (i had both) my entire flying season would be gone waiting for it to be a flying camera instead of a drone. thats all im saying.
Simple rhetorical question. If the app causes a crash in a smart shot, who pays for your P3?

You know the answer, but the same can apply to my experience with 3DR, im not convinced id ever see my money back there either. you have had different experiences, i havent.

ps. when running missions, etc the app can crash all it wants (it doesnt though). its already uploaded... autonomous at that point.

fact of the matter, we have had drastically different experiences with support, so we will never see eye to eye on this matter. im thrilled you are happy with your solo. like i said, i want it to succeed , it makes the hobby better.

You are right earldgrayjr, DJI sucks at support, but my support as i said was just as bad.
I was promised 30 days, and did not get it. I talked to supervisors, as high as i could go, and i was told because I didnt pre order the gimbal from best buy (nevermind that best buy wouldnt allow me to, even though i tried) they would not refund my money.

Of course this was at a time when people were sending them back in droves and they were trying to hold on to revenue any way they can, but they sh*t on me, spent an hour convincing me that the solo was great and that i should keep it. false promises from support...
They are more reactive than DJI sure, but push comes to shove, they burned me..
Luckily someone reminded me of the Best Buy Elite Member return being 45 days and i happened to return it on the 45th day (just by luck)
Look. I own both, but I don't like it when something I know to be "untrue" is said.

1, You can get your money back for your Solo before 30 days, no questions asked, no matter where you got it.

2. Assuming you preordered the gimbal (which most did) you can get your money back still, and for another 30 days after you get the gimbal.

3. The gimbal is delayed 3 weeks from the 3DR announcement.

4. All anyone have to do is call 3DR for a return and refund. I did it myself, and KNOW how it works... I just didn't take them up on it. I suggest you do.

Last edited:
Reactions: JOHN CUERVO
You know the answer, but the same can apply to my experience with 3DR, im not convinced id ever see my money back there either. you have had different experiences, i havent.

ps. when running missions, etc the app can crash all it wants (it doesnt though). its already uploaded... autonomous at that point.

fact of the matter, we have had drastically different experiences with support, so we will never see eye to eye on this matter. im thrilled you are happy with your solo. like i said, i want it to succeed , it makes the hobby better.

Yes I know the answer. With Solo, the smart shots are from 3DR. If they cause a crash (and not my error) they will pay for my Solo AND my camera.

PS: I know how Litchi works. It is a 3rd party app. And if it causes your P3 to crash (autonomously because of it's download), you will pay for the P3. The fact is, you will pay for anything since you have beta firmware.. And you always will pay with the 3rd party app, no matter what happens. I know you are avoiding that difference. But it is a difference, nonetheless.

Of course that is not that much of a difference for DJI, as with DJI, most everything is your fault :) I am still waiting to see if the stress cracks in the back arms of my new P3 are my fault... If I am lucky, I won't get a bill ( I say sarcastically since I owned it for 3 weeks), Of course I won't get any cumbersome explanations either, and none of the silly body reinforcement either.... And my warranty will not get extended for the 8 weeks it has been gone...

Like I said. I hope you have better luck than me.

Last edited:
Look. I own both, but I don't like it when something I know to be "untrue" is said.

1, You can get your money back for your Solo before 30 days, no questions asked, no matter where you got it.

2. Assuming you preordered the gimbal (which most did) you can get your money back still.

3. The gimbal is delayed 3 weeks from the 3DR announcement.

4. ll you have to do is call 3DR for a return and refund. I suggest you do.

Sorry, but you seem to be the type of person that will defend 3dr to the death no matter what.
If i had audio recordings of 5 people at 3dr telling me flat out NO on a refund, you still wouldnt believe it, so there is zero point in arguing the facts.
Try this with rmmccabe too, who still doesnt have his money back, and just got billed for a gimbal he cancelled long ago. regardless of your experience, it isnt the same for everyone, so sit back, relax and understand that everyone's view of the situation doesnt perfectly match your myopic take on the situation.

Reactions: rrmccabe
This Solo gimbal fiasco reminds me of a Kickstarter project I was involved with a few years ago. The item was (and still is) a good product. However, there was delay after delay, little (or no) communication from the company, outright "misinformation" that the product had shipped when it had not. Every imaginable excuse was given for all the delays and incorrect information. Their investors were extremely unhappy for all the above reasons. I don't why most companies have never figured out that customers would rather hear "bad" news that is the absolute "bottom line" truth than "good" news that is not. You can only put the carrot in front of the horse so may times!

dont even get me started on kickstarter. I'm still in litigation over a company and their falsely advertising their item.

I'm on... month 7 now.... sigh.

So i'm assuming you received the item in good working order then?

Sorry, but you seem to be the type of person that will defend 3dr to the death no matter what.
If i had audio recordings of 5 people at 3dr telling me flat out NO on a refund, you still wouldnt believe it, so there is zero point in arguing the facts.
Try this with rmmccabe too, who still doesnt have his money back, and just got billed for a gimbal he cancelled long ago. regardless of your experience, it isnt the same for everyone, so sit back, relax and understand that everyone's view of the situation doesnt perfectly match your myopic take on the situation.
The facts do matter.... Unless of course they aren't on your side.... Then they don't.... Right?

Sorry but you seem to be someone that makes irrational and emotional decisions and then works backward to try and make those decisions seem rational. At least to yourself...

-The gimbal was preordered when you bought the Solo. You knew you weren't getting it with the unit. That is just a fact.

- The gimbal will be a whopping 3 weeks late. That is a fact.

- Both of you have gone ballistic all because of that... Also another fact..

Now... If you are also with Michael Stevenson (who started this thread with a pretty absurd accusation) and are accusing 3DR of fraud and using "CGI" to create the demo real, then by all means... cuddle up...

In any case... Facts do matter...

You also forget that I am a customer of both 3DR and DJI, and have been for a while... I have dealt with both of them fairly extensively. I have no product loyalty and nothing to defend. From my perspective, 3DR is intent on making things right. I have seen the result of that personally, and as a consumer that goes a long way with me. As my dad used to say "want to" counts for a lot.

Conversely I have not seen that at all with DJI, and in fact communication with them is so sparse, and separated by so many days (and sometimes in Chinese) that it is down right painful,

I dare you to call 3DR tomorrow and ask them for a refund.. I double dare you. My bet is the give you an RMA to either send it back to them, or whoever you bought it from, and if you call early, they get it to you that day. That has been my experience.

You may not like the speed of refund, but I have yet to see anyone be out their money under the 3DR promise and bet I never do. And if you don't like 3DR speed, you are REALLY going to have a great time with DJI.... Remember these prophetic words...... "8 weeks for stress cracks". I won't even start on P3 NAZA flyaways... And a reminder: I OWN one, and by the way...a P2V+ until recently.

In any case, you are an ex owner right? Looks like I won't be hearing from you on this site much. I mean... Why spend time posting on a forum of a product you don't even own and sent back because you didn't like??... Why waist time bashing something you no longer even own, and don't trust the company? Right? They could fix the product, ,but if you don't trust the company, that is not repairable...Right? That would be illogical, and wreak of trying to justify your decision... And kinda.. Trollish...RIGHT?

Hey I might see you over on the Phantom side. Although I don't spend much time there, as those people are even angrier than you two are... :)

Again best of luck

Last edited:
The facts do matter.... Unless of course they aren't on your side.... Then they don't.... Right?

Sorry but you seem to be someone that makes irrational and emotional decisions and then works backward to try and make those decisions seem rational. At least to yourself...

The gimbal was preordered when you bought the Solo. That is just a fact.
It will be 3 weeks late. That is a fact.
And both of you have gone ballistic because of it... Also another fact..

If you are with Michael Stevenson (who started this thread with a pretty absurd accusation) and are accusing 3DR of fraud and using "CGI" to create the demo real, then by all means... cuddle up... Facts matter...

You also forget that I am a customer of both 3DR and DJI, and have been for a while... I have dealt with both of them fairly extensively. I have no product loyalty and nothing to defend. From my perspective, 3DR is intent on making things right. I have seen the result of that personally, and as a consumer that goes a long way with me. As my dad used to say "want to" counts for a lot.

Conversely I have not seen that at all with DJI, and in fact communication with them is so sparse, and separated by so many days (and sometimes in Chinese) that it is down right painful,

I dare you to call 3DR tomorrow and ask them for a refund.. I double dare you. My bet is the give you an RMA to either send it back to them, or whoever you bought it from, and if you call early, they get it to you that day. That has been my experience.

You may not like the speed of refund, but I have yet to see anyone be out their money under the 3DR promise and bet I never do. And if you don't like 3DR speed, you are REALLY going to have a great time with DJI.... Remember these prophetic words...... "8 weeks for stress cracks". I won't even start on P3 NAZA flyaways... And a reminder: I OWN one, and by the way...a P2V+

In any case, you are an ex owner right? Looks like I won't be hearing from you on this site much. I mean... Why spend time posting on a forum of a product you don't even own and sent back because you didn't like... Why waist time bashing something you no longer even own? Right? That would be illogical, and wreak of trying to justify your decision... And kinda.. Trollish...Right?

I might see you over on the Phantom side. Although I don't spend much time there, as those people are even angrier than you two are... :)

Again best of luck
Bravo..!!! Nicely done ..

I will not tolerate your lies!
and you telling me it's a lie? im 101% believe to 3dr because they good developer they make things right to make all customer happy. do not judge people choice because they have thier freedom to buy 3dr and you saying made by CGI? chris anderson invest million of $ to produce an aerial copter for various application porpuses such as AGCO. just enjoy your life send that dji to the sky and then if something wrong come back here and tell us about dji customer service your experience, my english not good becoz its not my primary language.

Last edited:
Reactions: SteveReno
-The gimbal was preordered when you bought the Solo. You knew you weren't getting it with the unit. That is just a fact.

- The gimbal will be a whopping 3 weeks late. That is a fact.

You obviously do not know what the facts are Earl.

I am pretty sure Ryan ordered his a couple weeks prior to when I ordered in April. I was not told the gimbal would not ship with my Solo when talking to sales and I know Ryan was not told that either. All I was told was my "order would ship the end of May".

3 weeks late? It's closer to 3 months late.

Check Retired2Fly's investor updates if you want to see the real gimbal delays.

And you are very correct. DJI is not going to cover a failure when using the Litchi app or any other 3rd party app. As a matter of fact there is a good chance they wont cover a failure on their own part because their support sucks.

However, I can buy a Phantom 3 and almost another complete Phantom 3 for a backup for what I have invested in the Solo, gimbal and Hero 4 black with custom lens to remove fisheye. But I am out flying it and making useful video now which is something we are still talking about "someday" 3DR doing.

On another note I have had 2 Solos. Both failed for issues that are common now. Both had to go back. Having great service really doesn't mean as much to me when you have to use it a lot.

3DR reminds me of old Harley Davidson. Great company and customer service. But leaked oil and had to work on them a lot. LOL

I can't wait to see end user gimbal footage from the Solo. I really don't care about selfie or orbit that much but am really interested in the cable cam.

dont even get me started on kickstarter. I'm still in litigation over a company and their falsely advertising their item.

I'm on... month 7 now.... sigh.

So i'm assuming you received the item in good working order then?

Yes, I did get the Kickstarter project item finally. It was many months past the promised delivery date. And they delivered what they said they would. It's still being sold. The problem was the way it was handled.

I think that 3DR will deliver a gimbal that meets or exceeds expectations... Exactly when is anyone's guess. I wouldn't get too excited about last nights announcement. It's the second or third one I have seen since I got my Solo on August 1. I want to get a gimbal when I can, but being a novice, I'm still in the learning process of how to operate and fly the Solo. So, there's no hurry for me. I think Solo is a really great product and my dealings with 3DR support has been excellent.

One cannot get upset over delays,and a promotional launch video especially if you are a producer, editor, and understand post production, then adding VFX to anything. I'm pretty sure the majority of the aerials were shot with the solo or even the iris attached with a gimbal to add on with any missing non working solo shots. Of course it has to be magnetically interesting to attract now and future customers overtime because it is a add. Everyone knows of the delays that has taken place, even if it were released on the original date, we still would be complaining of a non working incomplete gimbal product and ranting the same old "3DR is......" rants. Personally I am glad for the delay overall, because it gave them the chance to fix the mechanical and software imperfections if any. This is only my guess. :)

Reactions: 1264_Solo
I don't know how many units were sold "Solo's" guessing 3 to 5 K? some screw-ups bound to happens Sales/Hardware/Customer relations.
So looking for perfection isn't possible, but 3DR is trying to do right from what i see.
I ordered everything from B&H, in early July, I was told Gimbal ETA was August 17th. Got free extra battery, Free Bck Pak for GP4 Blk. And if Gimbal comes in soon, no problem. And not 1 single problem with Solo!.
Hate it when people got a problem & make it sould like EVERYONE must have the same problem. out of 5k Solos sold, there is maybe 25+ GPS problems Most user errors, "Bad area to get GPS" i can see from this site Not even 1%. How many stress crack on DJI?

Don't like SOLO, 3DR has a good return policy, USE IT.

Last edited:
Dear 3DR,

You put a video on the internet many months ago that was fake. You simulated the Gimbal with CGI that you passed off as "real." Your "Even a Monkey can fly it" video was fake.

Of course it was fake... Have you ever seen a Monkey fly anything? When you saw the video for the first time did you think "well if that monkey can do it I know I can"???

Return you Solo and quit this forum

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44