Controller, auto shut off?

Reaction score
So I went to chinamans hat on Oahu (on holiday from winter in Australia) 3 drone batteries, spare props, fpvlr amped (with new holder), sun hood.

Dead controller battery. Doh!

I had an extended battery on order which is yet to come.

It was full I thought, it was in a bag, temporarily with all the fpvlr, holder, amps etc. Probably the on button got squished long enough to turn on? Plausible I guess. Or it just depletes quickly when not on, doubt it. Most likely thing is I left it on I guess. How about an hour inactivity shutoff or something?

Has anyone experienced any auto shutoff?

I presume it's not on for good reason, and once I can get a 2nd battery for the controller one less thing to watch out for. I do like a single press whilst off shows you the battery level

Not sure if this has changed in the new firmware but the controller should turn off after a certain amount time when it cannot find the Solo "Waiting for Solo"

My shutoff with maybe 10 minutes of no activity. I had it powered up waiting for the band to take the field. If I remember correctly it beeped and flashed. Stopped once I moved the stick.

Thanks for the tips all. Dunno then. Maybe flew more often on the one controller bat than I thought. Hope to find a window to go back to that spot and orbit the island.

It's a 1/3rd of a mile over water to get there. Then probably a slow orbit sped up in post as no gimbal yet. Better watch that battery :)

You said you have an amped FPVLR setup? Any chance of getting some pics of how you mounted the amps?

What's the maximum range you're getting on that fpvlr amped setup?

Next time u turn off the controller, look at the back through the grill and if the LED light on the controller board is still on, that's gonna drain your battery. I've seen that happen on mine twice. Had to pull out the LIPO battery and plug it back in again to shut it off completely. Or don't plug it back in again if you're not gonna be using it for a while.

Janmit,

It's the one designed by Jjones86 works well. He has some pics too on his lanyard clip thread.

M.t

Nice info. Will check it. Maybe that's it

Sky doctor

Haven't pushed it or used it until I went back to get that island orbit this morning. 1-2bars still at 500m (1640ft)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 20
Next time u turn off the controller, look at the back through the grill and if the LED light on the controller board is still on, that's gonna drain your battery. I've seen that happen on mine twice. Had to pull out the LIPO battery and plug it back in again to shut it off completely. Or don't plug it back in again if you're not gonna be using it for a while.

So dead controller battery struck again. My spare is still on order with 3dr for more than a month. I'd been unplugging the controller battery power cable as you suggested. Then so I didn't put bend in that cable I'd had it only just pulled out. Must have still had contact, dead battery again.

My backpack is getting more full with an amped fpvlr in a holder sitting ontop of the controller . Maybe it's pushing the on button?

I did a test if you hold down the on button for long enough (earbud and zip tie ) after searching for solo times out (10 min). Whilst it's trying to then turn off, if you've still got the power button held, it can't turn off!

Anyone can replicate this just by starting from on, holding the controller on/off button for more than say 2min. If it still has not shutoff, release the button then it does.

My guess is this is just a behavior programming bug or has to do with the ability to do a short press on from off to check battery levels.

Could someone else try a long held off button from on state in the controller and see if it hangs shutting down? Make sure it's just not my controller. If so this might explain it turning on in the backpack cycling to auto power off after 10m then never shutting off till dead.

About 3 weeks back I managed to brick the controller and after a call to 3DR the following day, managed to get them to RMA the controller. Once they sent me the RMA#, I packed the controller, brought it down to Fedex and shipped it to San Diego. At the same time, they sent me a new controller. So in the span of about 3 days, I got a brand new controller from 3DR. .You should do the same.

Hmm. I'm in Australia now so missed chance for a quick turnaround on that. It's not as annoying to be without controller for a length of time. Maybe I can contact the battery manufacturer in China and get a spare from them... If I order 5000 :(

Could someone try the hold the power button on controller long time thing?

Maybe I can get a fw fix if it's everyone's controllers.

If the battery dies doesnt that mean its...ya know? Dead? So if we drain any lithium battery 100% then their not gonna recharge and if they do they wont fully charge if much at all?

Nice pic of Mokoliʻi too btw! Im not feeling too bad for you though by not having a functioning UAV in Hawaii though. :)

Hmm. It seems to have a balance charger built in the controller battery (hence all the wires), probably has a low voltage cutoff as part of that. Doing this test won't make it dead. If someone holds their off button from on state for like 3 mins, it won't shutoff (it does when you release it), then they are all the same and they could fix it in fw

Ya. Back in oz now. Need to get around to cutting that footage

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44