Considering 3DR Solo - Kiteboarder / YouTuber

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I am considering buying the 3DR Solo - I love the design, speed and app. It was a very close battle between this and the DJI Phantom 3.

I have a few question very specific to my requirements

1) Kiteboarding: I am planning on taking this with me kiteboarding, I will have someone on the ground manning the drone, however, Ideally I would want to have a feature where it would follow close behind me, then returning to home when battery level is low. However, the Follow Me feature may not work optimally. Could I just keep my phone with me and have it follow me? I have a spare android device that I can get a water proof case for and carry it with me.

2) Car Videography: Have you guys had successful attempts following a fast moving vehicle? Obviously this would be done in a area with no traffic or obstacles. But I like the idea of having the drone follow behind

3) Wait for the AirDog? That seems more suited for action sports, but it just seems like delivery dates keeps pending, and it may be a few months before its even ready.

If you guys have any suggestions or tips that would be great.

1) In follow-me Solo follows your phone, tablet, etc. not the controller so it would follow you with the phone in your pocket.
Somebody would need to be manning the controller to adjust follow distance, position relative to you, etc., and to land when battery gets low. Solo will automatically land when battery gets low but you don't want to let it get THAT low as it can damage the battery. It's a last resort feature.

2) Check YouTube for car follow videos. Solo is limited to about 35 MPH when using GPS. 55 MPH If you are flying manually with no GPS, according to the manufacturer. At that speed your battery would probably limit you to under 10 minutes.

3) I don't know anything about Airdog.

Hope this helps!

Good to know, Do you for see any issues using it with kiteboarding? Is there anything I should be careful of? I dont suppose there is the option to use two devices (one to follow and one to view shot on ground)

What sort of enhancements do you see in the future? Do you think I can adapt the Solo to meet my needs, or is it best waiting for the right product.

Good to know, Do you for see any issues using it with kiteboarding? Is there anything I should be careful of? I dont suppose there is the option to use two devices (one to follow and one to view shot on ground)

What sort of enhancements do you see in the future? Do you think I can adapt the Solo to meet my needs, or is it best waiting for the right product.
I am both a kiteboarder and a Solo owner. But i have yet to do both at same time. Maddog is correct. Get an experienced pilot to steer your Solo while you keep your phone/tablet on you. I suggest the following:

1. Go to a beach that is uncrowded so you can practice this with your pilot.
  2. Go when you are sailing your big kite (15M to 17M) so that you are sailing in smaller winds.
  3. Plan your route with your pilot and make sure to always fly high enough to avoid your lines. (there is a youtube of a Solo pilot catching a kiters lines)
  4. have fun

Thanks - how have your shots looked?

Also is there any other drone that you would think better suits your needs e.g., airdog?

Thanks - how have your shots looked?

Also is there any other drone that you would think better suits your needs e.g., airdog?
Here is a video I did of my son fly fishing. Not sure about airdog, it is not available yet.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Here is a video I did of my son fly fishing.

Pogo,

Spot on! I spent some time in Oregon fishing streams and rivers just like that, lot's of rainbow trout on the fire at night! I live in South Dakota now and our murky rivers and streams produce a lot of catfish and bullheads. Good on you! Thanks for sharing, it brought back some cool memories.

Jerry

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo