Confused

Reaction score
I have been skimming through the 3dr solo thread at rc groups which appears to be a troll fest, with very little useful information.
I am trying to decide between buying a solo or a phantom and would appreciate any feedback about why the solo is a better platform than the phantom.

Has 3d resolved the teething problems that they had with the platform or have the issues been blown out of proportion on other threads

thanks in advance

Craig

I have been skimming through the 3dr solo thread at rc groups which appears to be a troll fest, with very little useful information.
I am trying to decide between buying a solo or a phantom and would appreciate any feedback about why the solo is a better platform than the phantom.

Has 3d resolved the teething problems that they had with the platform or have the issues been blown out of proportion on other threads

thanks in advance

Craig
Here you go...Solo vs The "White" guy... | 3D Robotics Drone Forum

Reactions: Craig67
Forget RC Groups for Solo specific info, as you correctly determined, it's a troll fest over there.

As for issues, all of these things have issues - Solos, Phantoms, Inspires, Typhoons, etc. They're all extremely complex machines doing what just a handful of years ago would have been unbelievable outside the military, research or major productions with huge budgets.

The issues with all of these systems have largely been blown out of proportion. That's not to say some haven't been effected by serious issues, but far more fly without major issue than not.

I can't speak 1st hand to others, but the only problems I've had with my Solo have been the early occasional loss of power to the gimbal, which was quickly fixed in a firmware update, small vibrations getting into the video, which can happen on any multirotor and I'm still working on balancing the motors/props and experimenting with lighter cabling. I haven't yet determined if the cables are the problem or not. And lastly, my gimbal faced right about 10 degrees for some reason. For this, I contacted 3DR, they immediately and without question provided me with an RMA number and a paid FedEx shipping label to return my gimbal for a replacement.

Actual flying performance has been flawless. I've never lost signal, I've never lost GPS, I've never had an in-flight glitch of any kind.

As for technical abilities, video performance, etc., I think they're all so close as to be entirely equal. Where some are better (better camera), it comes at a cost - literally. It shouldn't surprise anyone that a $2000+ camera add-on to a $3000 drone would outperform a $400 GoPro. You have to compare apples to apples.

My opinion - yes, there are issues, although mostly minor. If you want a system with zero issues, you'll probably have to wait at least 5 to 10 years for the technology to mature. If you can accept some minor issues, the next question becomes how important product support is. In this respect, I don't think it can be argued that 3DR is anything but exemplary. That they can, have and will replace entire drones, gimbals AND cameras with hardly and, at times, not a single question is pretty amazing.

Support was one of the biggest factors in my choosing the Solo, and my experience so far tells me I made the right choice. Also a factor was that the Solo is based on the Pixhawk flight controller, which is open source (the original, not the Pixhawk 2 in the Solo, but they share most of the capabilities) and the Pixhawk has a huge following and active development which I feel makes the Solo far more future-proof than closed source systems from manufacturers that would love you to buy each yearly version of their system they release.

Just my 2c.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44