Close calls, got any pics?

Reaction score
Website
morongobillsbackporch.blogspot.com
New Solo owner here. No previous RC or even Xbox etc experience. This is all new to me.

Couple crashes under my belt, drone landed in a creosote bush first time I attempted to fly it and the other time bounced off a window screen at my house(outside) and the prop nicked my shoulder area in 3 places.

But those weren't close calls.

The other day I rode out to the Palm Springs area to get the Orbit and Selfie moves down, which I did, and then decided to see how far this thing would fly out before losing signal- anyway, I saw the transmission lines out there and knew that at around 100+ feet altitude, Solo should clear them. Besides I could watch my phone screen and make adjustments.

Unfortunately the sun was too bright to view the screen well. Good for me that 106' was barely enough as these
two pics show. I only found this out a couple days ago when I finally viewed the video.

Next time, 150' up.
upload_2016-10-30_8-35-13.png

This next shot is the scariest to me. Pretty close.
upload_2016-10-30_8-36-0.png

Let's see some of your close calls!

Reactions: Ralph E. Johnson
Personally, I try not to get into any "close call" situations. I know they can happen to anyone, but I do my best to scout out any potential problems before they happen. I know we all were curious to see how far Solo could go before losing signal (me included), but to me that is just looking for trouble. Your pics remind me of my "how far can I go" experience. I was out over a mile, and then saw some old telephone poles. Luckily, I stopped there, because when I drove out that way afterwards, there were small wires crisscrossing between the poles I could not even see on my screen. Now, I fly LOS, and feel much better about it. Good luck, and safe flying.

Reactions: Ralph E. Johnson
Hi morongobill- welcome to the forum. You're not likely to get much response here as we go to great lengths NOT to have close calls.

First, I would recommend you practice and learn to fly in FLY:MANUAL so you can control Solo in the event the automation fails. If you haven't already, please download and read the owners manual.

Second, flying near power lines with your level of inexperience is a recipe for disaster. No telling what kind of damage to the line could result from a drone strike- not to mention the bad press for the entire drone community. There are "drone haters" out there who would use photos/videos of "close calls" to assist in their quest to ban all drone usage.

Third, fly safe and have fun! Post some videos of some cool "non-close call" stuff.:)

Solo vs tree.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: J R
Some times, things can look closer than they are. Now there are some legitimately close calls, but for example, towards the beginning of this video, it looks like I'm extremely close to the top of the tree. When I flew it, I knew I was going to get a little close, so just flew it looking at the Solo, and at no point was I closer than about 3 feet.

I was shocked when I got home how close it *looks* like I got, because in reality, I was a decently safe distance.

I'd say most of my "close calls" have been caused by misjudging distance. We have some fascinating light poles in my village that have been painted at the very tippy top by people who're suicidally artistic... I absolutely cannot bring myself to bring Solo any closer than twenty feet of their lamps unless I'm standing directly underneath and can actually see things well. For some reason, I just can't tell when I'm close through video feed alone.

Some times, things can look closer than they are...
Exactly what I was going to say about the OP's pics - there is no way to see how much ACTUAL clearance remains in those pics. I've observed the same things as you, flying over trees.

When doing 3D 'movies' (2-camera, Dual Hero System), I try to get closish to objects to enhance the 3D effect. I've got to have something in the foreground occasionally. :eek:

I'd say most of my "close calls" have been caused by misjudging distance. We have some fascinating light poles in my village that have been painted at the very tippy top by people who're suicidally artistic... I absolutely cannot bring myself to bring Solo any closer than twenty feet of their lamps unless I'm standing directly underneath and can actually see things well. For some reason, I just can't tell when I'm close through video feed alone.
I used Solo to inspect a malfunctioning light pole outside my house once. I made sure to fly above the pole and angle the gimbal down in case a gust of wind blew Solo towards the pole.

I agree that the video alone lacks the visual cues you need to accurately judge distance.

Maybe Obstacle Avoidance could be modified to give a readout of distance to an object directly in front of the drone. Something like the laser tape measure I have in my workshop.;)

Some times, things can look closer than they are. Now there are some legitimately close calls, but for example, towards the beginning of this video, it looks like I'm extremely close to the top of the tree. When I flew it, I knew I was going to get a little close, so just flew it looking at the Solo, and at no point was I closer than about 3 feet.

I was shocked when I got home how close it *looks* like I got, because in reality, I was a decently safe distance.

Great video!

Warning. Turn down soundif you don't like props. I was in a hurry.
I made it through and that is a hawk in the tree in the background. I was taking some pictures of the new triflex mowing the green.

Last edited:
Morongo,

I had planned out a long run but after getting out quite a bit I had second thoughts about whether I could make the whole trip so I initiated a Return To Home. I had been flying in a different area the day before and didn't check my RTH altitude at the new site. Needless to say, I got very lucky.

Jerry

Yeah I learned a lot about angles and distance judgment. I was sure I was clear of the tree! Not!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New Solo owner here. No previous RC or even Xbox etc experience. This is all new to me.

Couple crashes under my belt, drone landed in a creosote bush first time I attempted to fly it and the other time bounced off a window screen at my house(outside) and the prop nicked my shoulder area in 3 places.

But those weren't close calls.

The other day I rode out to the Palm Springs area to get the Orbit and Selfie moves down, which I did, and then decided to see how far this thing would fly out before losing signal- anyway, I saw the transmission lines out there and knew that at around 100+ feet altitude, Solo should clear them. Besides I could watch my phone screen and make adjustments.

Unfortunately the sun was too bright to view the screen well. Good for me that 106' was barely enough as these
two pics show. I only found this out a couple days ago when I finally viewed the video.

Next time, 150' up.
View attachment 4504

This next shot is the scariest to me. Pretty close.
View attachment 4505

Let's see some of your close calls!
I recommend you put away your toy for now. Flying towards a high voltage line may get you in jail.

Please learn to fly safely.

Again thanks to those who put up their examples of close calls and those who gave well deserved advice and criticism.

There will be no more close shaves near transmission towers.

As I stated, in the bright desert sun, I really couldn't view the screen at the time, not a good excuse to give the deputies as they cuff me, but the best one I had at the time. When I watched the video, I instantly knew just how close I came to being on tv or in the news in a very bad way.

That's it for me with the thread.

Morongo,

I'll bet that everyone here has made some mistakes while flying. I've certainly made my share, It's part of the process. As long as we learn from them and continue to become better and more responsible pilots it's a good thing. Unfortunately, too many people do stupid things with no regard for others or the impact on this community. I believe that your thread was/is a good reminder for new and seasoned pilots as well. Thanks for sharing your "close call"!

Jerry

Again thanks to those who put up their examples of close calls and those who gave well deserved advice and criticism.

There will be no more close shaves near transmission towers.

As I stated, in the bright desert sun, I really couldn't view the screen at the time, not a good excuse to give the deputies as they cuff me, but the best one I had at the time. When I watched the video, I instantly knew just how close I came to being on tv or in the news in a very bad way.

That's it for me with the thread.
Under the current political environment and heighten security concern regarding public safety and needed to protect the infrastructure, I am surprised you didn't get into bigger trouble with the law.

Desert is a good place for flying, how lacking distinguished landmark and the monotonous of the landscape can get you in trouble if you are not prepared for it. Get a mental picture of your flying field and beware the thermal. Launch your drone against the wind and watch the battery, when it is at 70% start the return. Start landing when you reach 30%.

As you gain experience, you will notice Solo is sluggish at lower voltage.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc