Close calls, got any pics?

Hawkeye on Solo. Did it attack?
That was the most dramatic picture in attack mode, she changed her mind and flew just underneath ! ! ! She tried again later (with claws out) from the rear, but sadly I was flying in slow pan mode and could not turn around fast enough to get a picture ! ! !

PS she also changed her mind on the rear attack, too many whirling things

Reactions: J R
Nice shot man. Yea it's almost impossible to get a shot intentionally when they are protecting their turf.

Some times, things can look closer than they are. Now there are some legitimately close calls, but for example, towards the beginning of this video, it looks like I'm extremely close to the top of the tree. When I flew it, I knew I was going to get a little close, so just flew it looking at the Solo, and at no point was I closer than about 3 feet.

I was shocked when I got home how close it *looks* like I got, because in reality, I was a decently safe distance.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Love the colors. Where is this? What state?

Love the colors. Where is this? What state?

Thanks, yea, I think I hit the absolute peak of the colors. That was last fall, in the Mohonk Preserve in New York. The following day, it turned windy and rainy for a few days, and when it was over, the leaves that were left on the trees were all brown. Didn't manage anything like that this year, it was just the right combination of the peak of the colors and a bright, clear morning.

Anyone tried flying around a wind farm generator.
Panorama mode?
There should be much electromagnetic interference and turbulence.
Sounds like a close call?
I would appreciate any practice in this regard.

Anyone tried flying around a wind farm generator.
Panorama mode?
There should be much electromagnetic interference and turbulence.
Sounds like a close call?
I would appreciate any practice in this regard.
That is something that I plan on doing. Out near Palm Springs are thousands of windmills. As long as the drone stays off the property, there shouldn't be any problems. Provided you keep it on the side so that the unrelenting winds push you away from the farm, of course. There is a rail line also for train video as well.

That is something that I plan on doing. Out near Palm Springs are thousands of windmills. As long as the drone stays off the property, there shouldn't be any problems. Provided you keep it on the side so that the unrelenting winds push you away from the farm, of course. There is a rail line also for train video as well.
Thanks for the feedback. I would appreciate any feedback and/or footage when you shoot the videos.

I find depth perception can be challenging at times with these. I have some power lines that run behind my property that I typically pass over after getting to an altitude above. I was landing over same wires one day and didn't realize how close I had gotten. Never have hit them, but the video review after was a wake-up call. I was looking up at the Solo while landing and thought I was much further away. I give them more space now. The line is about 3/8 inch thick to give you some idea of how close. You can see the shadow of the Solo on the line.Over_wire_sml.jpg

Reactions: J R
This is from July of 2015 (Pre Gimbal Days). I was shooting in a steep canyon trying to get a shot for a realtor and backed into a tree..

Reactions: Solo Keith and J R
This is from July of 2015 (Pre Gimbal Days). I was shooting in a steep canyon trying to get a shot for a realtor and backed into a tree..
Good recovery! Looks like you just nicked the top?

Good recovery! Looks like you just nicked the top?
No, actually I was backing into it with larger tress behind it. It was a steep hill going up behind Solo. A little too close for comfort.

Made it out to the windmills. Bad news, never got the wifi to connect. Got the bird in the air and let it hover while I tried to hook up, nothing. Oh boy, when it rains it pours. Will try to get the wifi figured out and then will retry for the windmill pics.
Really too bad as the winds were not too bad so I could have easily hugged the property line for the video. Next time I doubt they will be that light.
IMG_20161115_130906.jpg

Made it out to the windmills. Bad news, never got the wifi to connect. Got the bird in the air and let it hover while I tried to hook up, nothing. Oh boy, when it rains it pours. Will try to get the wifi figured out and then will retry for the windmill pics.
Really too bad as the winds were not too bad so I could have easily hugged the property line for the video. Next time I doubt they will be that light.
IMG_20161115_130906.jpg
I am sorry for the oppoertunity missed.
BTW that was one of the things I was concerned with - electromagnetic interference. Next thing I am concerned with is turbulence from the windmills.

I am sorry for the oppoertunity missed.
BTW that was one of the things I was concerned with - electromagnetic interference. Next thing I am concerned with is turbulence from the windmills.
Major effort but I got the controller reset and the wifi issue solved with the app working on both my phone and tablet. The plan is to return tomorrow and again try to film the renewable energy windmills as well as one of the passing freight trains.

Pretty sure this time I will have a wifi connection as well as good video!

Major effort but I got the controller reset and the wifi issue solved with the app working on both my phone and tablet. The plan is to return tomorrow and again try to film the renewable energy windmills as well as one of the passing freight trains.

Pretty sure this time I will have a wifi connection as well as good video!
Good luck!
Awaiting spectacular posts!

IMG_20161115_130906.jpg
I'm missing something, obviously - how did you get into the air (and back down again) without wifi? Or do you mean just feed to your device?

Reactions: SARDG
Okay made it out and thought I took a pretty good video of the windmills. Took the video off the property line and the drone handled the wind gusts with aplomb. Flew for about 15 minutes. No turbulence or any electronic interference from the windmills.

Here is the link to the video at my Youtube channel. Another video of 8.5 minutes will go up soon. Sorry, no close flyby the windmills in it.

Somehow only 3 seconds of video was recorded.

Reactions: Stealth
I'm missing something, obviously - how did you get into the air (and back down again) without wifi? Or do you mean just feed to your device?
It will fly and land without it per tech support.

Obviously no camera feed and all I did was go up, out and back a short way, and the pushbutton landing.
You mean that you didn't connect the App/device with WiFi - right?

Okay made it out and thought I took a pretty good video of the windmills. Took the video off the property line and the drone handled the wind gusts with aplomb. Flew for about 15 minutes. No turbulence or any electronic interference from the windmills.

Here is the link to the video at my Youtube channel. Another video of 8.5 minutes will go up soon. Sorry, no close flyby the windmills in it.

Somehow only 3 seconds of video was recorded.
Thanks, appreciated!
Though your Wifi problems seem strange if Solo is in the air.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc