Cannot control Hero3+ Black in Apps (Solo & Solex)

Reaction score
All,

I recently got back into flying after a short hiatus. I have three Solos, all fly great. I have three GoPros, two 3+ Black and one 3 Silver. I can run both Solex and Solo apps but prefer Solex. All GoPros work flawlessly off Solo. I also have a detachable screen which works on all three GoPros. Here is the problem:

If I use my normal startup sequence (Transmitter, Solo, App) I am unable to get video even though the GoPro powers on (red light on front). I have to turn the GoPro off then shortpress the power button to get video feed. This functions identically on all Solos, all Gimbals, all GoPros with both apps. If this were the only trouble Id probably just live with it (Im used to manually recording with the 3 Silver). HOWEVER, I want to be able to control the 3+ Black cameras with the app but am NEVER able to do so. I get video feed (with the fiddling described above) but do not get camera control. Interestingly I found that If I cycle through the options on the camera (power button) the setup icons actually display on the Solex app screen (large icons matching those shown on the GoPro lcd.

What am I doing wrong? Why wont the apps control camera settings and recordings? Did I forget or miss a setting on the GoPro that allows control from the gimbal connector? Plugging in the GoPro detachable screen works fine.

ANY thoughts or suggestions would be very much appreciated. Im ripping out what hair I have left. I don't remember it being this difficult last time I flew (two years).

Thanks in advance!

Is you GoPro seating fully? Both the needing manual power-on and the non-control point to not having th heroport fully seated....

Thanks for the response!

They have been removed and reinstalled sooooo many times I'm absolutely positive that one of them had to be seated correctly (at least once).

UPDATE: I updated the Hero 3+ Black firmwares and now all I see on the screen is horizontal lines of color. So, it seems the latest (though very old) firmware doesnt even work to provide video to Solex. I have not yet tested on the original Solo App.

I removed and reinstalled the Solex app and still no joy.

This is starting to make me wonder if Solo ever really worked correctly with GoPros... :-(

pretty sure you can't control gopro hero 3 on the solo...only the 4's work.
I've never gotten the 3 to work anyway.

hmm I'm not sure maybe mine is 3 silver...I'll have a look and get back

Yeah. My Hero 3 Silver has to be manually set to record. However, the 3+ Black is supposed to be fully supported.

Hero 3+ Black is ~supposed to work...
Did something change?

The Solo User Manual, on page 14, first paragraph, second bullet, says that only Hero 4 models support remote starting and stopping of recording. Also, on page 21, the paragraph just below the image of the gimbal says that "functions like Start Recording and Stop Recording" is for Hero 4 models only. Also, page 30, section 5.1.4 says "If have the Solo Gimbal and the GoPro HERO4, you can start and stop recording midflight."

Thanks for the response!

They have been removed and reinstalled sooooo many times I'm absolutely positive that one of them had to be seated correctly (at least once).

UPDATE: I updated the Hero 3+ Black firmwares and now all I see on the screen is horizontal lines of color. So, it seems the latest (though very old) firmware doesnt even work to provide video to Solex. I have not yet tested on the original Solo App.

I removed and reinstalled the Solex app and still no joy.

This is starting to make me wonder if Solo ever really worked correctly with GoPros... :-(
Horizontal lines of color usually indicates something has gone awry somewhere in the video pipeline....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo