Buy now or pass?

MTH

Reaction score
Hi all,
New here and have a question. Have a chance to pick up a 3dr solo dirt cheap. Want to up grade from a Syma HD8500 HW. Thinking of getting the solo to fly while I wait to see what the new Autel will be. The solo I'm looking at has only been flown a couple of times. Never crash and hasn't flown away (yet).

Yes I know....just about anything would be an up grade from the Syma. I still need to ask; is the 3dr worth picking up? Are batteries and props going to be available in 6 months? About how much does it cost for the all the mods to make this bird trustworthy? For those who have owned one for a while, knowing what you know would you buy one today?

Thanks
Mitch

I would. For the price, it is the best buy out there for what it can do. If you read the manual and take your time, Solo should work for you right out of the box. There are a lot of mods mentioned on here, but which ones you might want can be addressed after you learn what Solo can do, and what you need it to do down the line. It is anybody's guess as to how long batteries and other OEM parts will be available, but there is already a lot of 3rd party vendors with parts for Solo, and some are better than OEM. The choice is yours, but if you compare the open platform of Solo, as well as the autonomous features already built in, you can't beat it for the price. Good luck.

I would. For the price, it is the best buy out there for what it can do. If you read the manual and take your time, Solo should work for you right out of the box. There are a lot of mods mentioned on here, but which ones you might want can be addressed after you learn what Solo can do, and what you need it to do down the line. It is anybody's guess as to how long batteries and other OEM parts will be available, but there is already a lot of 3rd party vendors with parts for Solo, and some are better than OEM. The choice is yours, but if you compare the open platform of Solo, as well as the autonomous features already built in, you can't beat it for the price. Good luck.
Hey, thanks.
From the little bit I've read and heard OEM part, even now, are hard to come by. As long as 3rd party batteries and props are out there I would feel better about it. The mods are still a bit of a concern though. I've heard that the gps in the solo is not the greatest, if an up grade would keep the bird from flying away that would be something to do sooner than later.

Thanks again,
Mitch

Hey, thanks.
From the little bit I've read and heard OEM part, even now, are hard to come by. As long as 3rd party batteries and props are out there I would feel better about it. The mods are still a bit of a concern though. I've heard that the gps in the solo is not the greatest, if an up grade would keep the bird from flying away that would be something to do sooner than later.

Thanks again,
Mitch

First post! Just joined the 3DR family, hoping for a long and prosperous journey. Anywho, after lurking a bit about the gps issues with the Solo, I've found that a replacement gps chip by a brand with old staff from 3DR is almost necessary. I believe it's $80. Small price to pay for peace of mind imo.

mRo GPS u-Blox Neo-M8N / 3DR SOLO Upgrade

Grab it. You won't be sorry.
As for props and batteries, aftermarket props are already available. The batteries might be a bit tight for a while but we should see some aftermarket stuff soon. Remember, the OEM batteries were $150 at one point.
If Money is tight you don't need to replace the GPS, just do the 'cardboard' mod (preferably with something plastic) and go fly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi all,
New here and have a question. Have a chance to pick up a 3dr solo dirt cheap. Want to up grade from a Syma HD8500 HW. Thinking of getting the solo to fly while I wait to see what the new Autel will be. The solo I'm looking at has only been flown a couple of times. Never crash and hasn't flown away (yet).

Yes I know....just about anything would be an up grade from the Syma. I still need to ask; is the 3dr worth picking up? Are batteries and props going to be available in 6 months? About how much does it cost for the all the mods to make this bird trustworthy? For those who have owned one for a while, knowing what you know would you buy one today?

Thanks
Mitch
How much?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks