Breaking The Drone-Code: 336, 333, 107 (Part 1)

Reaction score
I wrote this article as the result of questions I was asked at NAB this past couple of weeks.
It was certainly a pleasure to meet a few of you in person! Hopefully the article will clear up some of the questions about what exists and what is about to exist in terms of UAS regulation.

http://tinyurl.com/BreakingDroneCode

Nice article. It's a complex subject for the legal aspects of flying a drone commercially and recreational.

I'm interested to know more on the 107...

No need for previously licensed FAA pilot as operator. The Part 107 aeronautical knowledge test contains only segments from the Private Pilot test that are relevant to sUAS operations and nothing more.

How long have you been a member of DronesPlus?

Awesome, even though that yesterday i was flying my solo by the beach everything was perfect no restrict area,i call the nearly local airport to letting know that i was gonna fly they give me 1 hr to fly i was in the border of 5 miles from the local airport so everything was good until one helicopter from the navy fly near to me my solo was barely 120ft up and 89ft foward so i was freakout and i bring my solo to land and while i was packing my drone 2 guys come to me and ask my for my 333 and i say that i dont need that bc i only used ny drone to fun, they ask me for the FAA registracion and i give them the paper and they let me go, even when they say that thats why they no want no body flying bc they cant tell if theres a civilian drone or somethings else

Awesome, even though that yesterday i was flying my solo by the beach everything was perfect no restrict area,i call the nearly local airport to letting know that i was gonna fly they give me 1 hr to fly i was in the border of 5 miles from the local airport so everything was good until one helicopter from the navy fly near to me my solo was barely 120ft up and 89ft foward so i was freakout and i bring my solo to land and while i was packing my drone 2 guys come to me and ask my for my 333 and i say that i dont need that bc i only used ny drone to fun, they ask me for the FAA registracion and i give them the paper and they let me go, even when they say that thats why they no want no body flying bc they cant tell if theres a civilian drone or somethings else

I'm trying to make sense of what you're saying. They told you they don't want anyone flying because it's difficult to know what's commercial and what isn't?

I wrote this article as the result of questions I was asked at NAB this past couple of weeks.
It was certainly a pleasure to meet a few of you in person! Hopefully the article will clear up some of the questions about what exists and what is about to exist in terms of UAS regulation.

http://tinyurl.com/BreakingDroneCode
Once again I think the Feds are out of control. All this regulation for a little drone.
I bought a Browning M2 (Ma Deuce) heavy machine gun with only two gov't forms. And their are really no "legislated" places I can't shoot it. (Inside city or town limits are generally off limits). The rest is left up to common sense.

I'm pretty sure it could damage an airplane more heavily than a drone.

Reactions: bjswx
Once again I think the Feds are out of control. All this regulation for a little drone.
I bought a Browning M2 (Ma Deuce) heavy machine gun with only two gov't forms. And their are really no "legislated" places I can't shoot it. (Inside city or town limits are generally off limits). The rest is left up to common sense.

Your Mad, Dog! Lol. Sounds like a big ass gun.

Reactions: Maddog
I know it is not popular, but I am hoping there is a spot for trained pilots who obtain a license and get better access to fly.
Not a fan of big government, but we all know we cannot self police.
And while I agree they are making more of an issue out the safety factors that they need to, I also agree these things can and will be used in dangerous ways by people with and without ill intent

I know it is not popular, but I am hoping there is a spot for trained pilots who obtain a license and get better access to fly.
Not a fan of big government, but we all know we cannot self police.
And while I agree they are making more of an issue out the safety factors that they need to, I also agree these things can and will be used in dangerous ways by people with and without ill intent

I'm also about having trained people following safe practice, but isn't this only giving advantage to people who can actually afford the high cost of becoming a licensed private or commercial pilot?

I know that if I could afford it I'd be lining up at my local flight school tomorrow. I would love to become an actual pilot but that ain't going to happen anytime soon unless it was free.

The reason this industry is so appealing to many people who have a love for aviation but could never afford to become a pilot is the low cost of owning a drone, that is giving them the opportunity to get even a small taste of a childhood dream.

Reactions: Rex Barlow
Yes it is ashamed some have to ruin it.
Sadly, while no fan of regulation I do not see how you bring responsibility without it

Reactions: Jubalr
It doesn't matter what subject, topic, hobby, profession. There is always one idiot who will ruin it for everyone else. I could write a page full of examples but you only have to turn on the news to find them.

Always another idiot pops back up as soon as the reign one in. I guess its about not wanting to be that idiot. If regulation is the only cure well it's game over for a lot of us out there who do the right things but will get cut out with regulation. Catch 22 either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: pyrate
@EyeWingsuit

Absolutely, Please keep us informed on this "107" part 1.

It feels like Government wants us to train for something that we can not ever use? 90%
The only relevance I can see, is about 100 FT. of air space that that we may share.

If regulatory administrators are willing to save our Hobby/Business, than perhaps, if they limit UAVs to 300 ft?
I would consider that as a fair compromise.

Reactions: pyrate

Yeah.

These requirements are onerous and I am not looking forward to dealing with this.

Vetting for security? WTF!

So anyone with a dicey past gets pushed out of a hobby where they were just trying to have some fun.

Lets take away everything.

A flock of 20 pound geese took out a plane in NYC, how is my Solo going to do the same damage?

All of this sucks in my opinion.

Reactions: Maddog
I thought they recommended against the silly useless TSA background check and recommended against having the test administered at a testing center?

Also, please note all that testing and certification stuff is only for commercial operations. Personal hobby use is essentially unchanged. In fact it is even relaxed a bit in some aspects.

Yeah.

These requirements are onerous and I am not looking forward to dealing with this.

Vetting for security? WTF!

So anyone with a dicey past gets pushed out of a hobby where they were just trying to have some fun.

Lets take away everything.

A flock of 20 pound geese took out a plane in NYC, how is my Solo going to do the same damage?

All of this sucks in my opinion.

I guess it depends on your viewpoint. I don't find 107 onerous at _all_. Having people need to learn to read a chart? No different than having to learn to read roadsigns. Having people demonstrate knowledge before they fly? No different than having to do a driving test (except there is no plan nor resources for the FAA to start physically testing UAS operators). Having to demonstrate insurance if flying for commercial purposes? No different than any other driver being required to operate their vehicle with at minimum, liability insurance.

To date, I've observed three videos of drone pilots chasing tourist helicopters, drone pilot getting in the way of law enforcement helis, one drone pilot flying over an active runway. I've observed these with my own MK1-Eyeball, not via the news. A collision with a windshield on a small piston plane will likely be a fatal. A drone ingested into a jet engine has been proven to cause catastrophic failure, and one only hopes a pilot can manage the emergency properly. Not all pilots are Sully. ;)

while they may be merely "toys" to some, drones come in a variety of sizes, shapes, and uses. Looking at the bigger picture, it's easy to see that the sky will be filled with drones. There are already nearly as many registered UAS in the US as there are registered manned aircraft. Given that at any given moment, 40% of the registered fleet is grounded, there is the potential for more UAS in the sky than aircraft. Given that a HUGE number of UAS pilots intentionally break the law on a daily basis (Spend a couple hours in the Phantom forums, as but one example, or visit any number of Facebook pages on UAS, including Solo), and boast about it in public. Toss in the several incidents real and fake that we find on the internet, and of course it's a growing concern. The FAA didn't exist during the heyday of ballooning, but so many people died that government got in the way to slow down the trend. IMO, government is handling it correctly, albeit slow.

The 107 knowledge test won't be any big deal. It allegedly won't cost anything. Anytime you're tossing an arguably dangerous object into the public sector (like a car, motorcycle, boat) I do feel that there is an obligation to demonstrate knowledge on it's use. However, until humans have evolved to have eyes on top of and behind their heads, and until we have an obstacle avoidance system that can ASSURE that UAS will not ever strike a manned aircraft, testing is necessary.

I do understand opinions on this will differ, and that's OK too, as it generates useful dialog.

Reactions: Jubalr and pyrate
I guess it depends on your viewpoint. I don't find 107 onerous at _all_. Having people need to learn to read a chart? No different than having to learn to read roadsigns. Having people demonstrate knowledge before they fly? No different than having to do a driving test (except there is no plan nor resources for the FAA to start physically testing UAS operators). Having to demonstrate insurance if flying for commercial purposes? No different than any other driver being required to operate their vehicle with at minimum, liability insurance.

To date, I've observed three videos of drone pilots chasing tourist helicopters, drone pilot getting in the way of law enforcement helis, one drone pilot flying over an active runway. I've observed these with my own MK1-Eyeball, not via the news. A collision with a windshield on a small piston plane will likely be a fatal. A drone ingested into a jet engine has been proven to cause catastrophic failure, and one only hopes a pilot can manage the emergency properly. Not all pilots are Sully. ;)

while they may be merely "toys" to some, drones come in a variety of sizes, shapes, and uses. Looking at the bigger picture, it's easy to see that the sky will be filled with drones. There are already nearly as many registered UAS in the US as there are registered manned aircraft. Given that at any given moment, 40% of the registered fleet is grounded, there is the potential for more UAS in the sky than aircraft. Given that a HUGE number of UAS pilots intentionally break the law on a daily basis (Spend a couple hours in the Phantom forums, as but one example, or visit any number of Facebook pages on UAS, including Solo), and boast about it in public. Toss in the several incidents real and fake that we find on the internet, and of course it's a growing concern. The FAA didn't exist during the heyday of ballooning, but so many people died that government got in the way to slow down the trend. IMO, government is handling it correctly, albeit slow.

The 107 knowledge test won't be any big deal. It allegedly won't cost anything. Anytime you're tossing an arguably dangerous object into the public sector (like a car, motorcycle, boat) I do feel that there is an obligation to demonstrate knowledge on it's use. However, until humans have evolved to have eyes on top of and behind their heads, and until we have an obstacle avoidance system that can ASSURE that UAS will not ever strike a manned aircraft, testing is necessary.

I do understand opinions on this will differ, and that's OK too, as it generates useful dialog.
But ya just can't do nuthin about stupid...

Reactions: russianwolfe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig