Breaking The Drone-Code: 336, 333, 107 (Part 1)

The stupid people will always be stupid, not matter what regulations you put in the way. They're going to ignore them and do their own stupid shit anyway. I don't think anyone believes this will stop all idiocy. However the intelligent and non-idiots aren't just magically born full of drone and aviation knowledge. If the intelligent and responsible ones among us can be given a reasonable and non burdensome education on how to do this responsibly, I'm all for it.

Most of us on this forum are not a good example of who would benefit from this because we already know the answers and have experience. Think about it from the perspective of someone with little to no exposure and experience. Well intentioned, not wanting to break rules or cause problems. This process will make them safer and responsible commercial operators.

Reactions: Maddog
But ya just can't do nuthin about stupid...

You're right, you can't. But you can do something about trying to reduce the amount of ignorance that is separate from stupid.

Were there no training and testing related to stopping at a stop sign, I'd submit a vast number of drivers would blow right through them.

You're right, you can't. But you can do something about trying to reduce the amount of ignorance that is separate from stupid.

Were there no training and testing related to stopping at a stop sign, I'd submit a vast number of drivers would blow right through them.
Can't argue with that!

I know it is not popular, but I am hoping there is a spot for trained pilots who obtain a license and get better access to fly.
Not a fan of big government, but we all know we cannot self police.
And while I agree they are making more of an issue out the safety factors that they need to, I also agree these things can and will be used in dangerous ways by people with and without ill intent
Guys...I made a business decision to go get a Private pilot license to run a commercial for hire UAV business. I'm in a flight school in the Houston area and have progressed 32% into the Part 141 certified program. Thursday I was out with my instructor and we were advised by Ellington ATC that a UAV was operating near the Exxon Mobil plant in Baytown.We switched our radio frequency to the CTAF for the little Baytown airport where I was going to shoot touch and goes for an hour..and we heard the UAV operator describing his location and flights to a pilot who had just taken off from the Baytown airport...and that is was an FAA authorized NOTAM he had filed and in spite of his legal status the pilot flying over the plant said.."I don't like it"...
I saw the manned aircraft this pilot was flying over the sprawling Exxon complex and asked my instructor why the heck he'd be over that plant...regulations require manned aircraft to be a minimum of 1000 feet above congested areas and infrastructure such as the third largest oil refinery in the US.
I also talked to the UAV operator on the Baytown CTAF frequency and asked him his location and if he had a NOTAM...I hadn't seen it on the Houston TAC that morning...at any rate...the UAV operator was legal, knew he needed an aircraft band vhf radio to talk to local air traffic and atc, and was flying below 400 feet. We were 600 feet above his ops altitude and all was safe.
So...even if you are 100% legal...expect to take some "guff" from the licensed pilots out there. Btw...I shot 5 touch and goes in that Baytown airport pattern. Piloting my Iris and Solo is a piece of cake in comparison but also similar to the kind of safe flight mindset you need when flying manned aircraft..There is a LOT to learn about airspace before you can think about passing an FAA test guys...and trust me, it will be a comprehensive test!

here's a pic from the flight I described

Attachments

• V__8E7E.jpg
    V__8E7E.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 12
Guys...I made a business decision to go get a Private pilot license to run a commercial for hire UAV business. I'm in a flight school in the Houston area and have progressed 32% into the Part 141 certified program. Thursday I was out with my instructor and we were advised by Ellington ATC that a UAV was operating near the Exxon Mobil plant in Baytown.We switched our radio frequency to the CTAF for the little Baytown airport where I was going to shoot touch and goes for an hour..and we heard the UAV operator describing his location and flights to a pilot who had just taken off from the Baytown airport...and that is was an FAA authorized NOTAM he had filed and in spite of his legal status the pilot flying over the plant said.."I don't like it"...
I saw the manned aircraft this pilot was flying over the sprawling Exxon complex and asked my instructor why the heck he'd be over that plant...regulations require manned aircraft to be a minimum of 1000 feet above congested areas and infrastructure such as the third largest oil refinery in the US.
I also talked to the UAV operator on the Baytown CTAF frequency and asked him his location and if he had a NOTAM...I hadn't seen it on the Houston TAC that morning...at any rate...the UAV operator was legal, knew he needed an aircraft band vhf radio to talk to local air traffic and atc, and was flying below 400 feet. We were 600 feet above his ops altitude and all was safe.
So...even if you are 100% legal...expect to take some "guff" from the licensed pilots out there. Btw...I shot 5 touch and goes in that Baytown airport pattern. Piloting my Iris and Solo is a piece of cake in comparison but also similar to the kind of safe flight mindset you need when flying manned aircraft..There is a LOT to learn about airspace before you can think about passing an FAA test guys...and trust me, it will be a comprehensive test!

Congrats on your progress! Yes, there will be some grief from pilots out there from time to time; particularly for those in common navigation areas and sea coasts (they make for easy skylanes/navigation). You have no idea how big the smile is reading this sort of post, particularly after having just come from the Phantom forums on this server where people are advocating illegal flight, "fu** the FAA" and "the FAA truly doesn't care about us right now." It's those sorts of morons, unfortunately the sorts of morons that can afford only the bottom-end systems that have caused the vast majority of the issues we all have to respond to within our communities.

Reactions: Jubalr
I wrote this article as the result of questions I was asked at NAB this past couple of weeks.
It was certainly a pleasure to meet a few of you in person! Hopefully the article will clear up some of the questions about what exists and what is about to exist in terms of UAS regulation.

http://tinyurl.com/BreakingDroneCode

What is your feeling on a June date for this? And how long do you think it will take to get the testing system in operation? I am not in any position to get a PPL right now, but very much would like to fly UAVs commercially

At the most recent event, the date of September is now being floated. I still feel like end of June is likely. One thing about the 333; you won't be expected to test out (according to most on the inside of the FAA)

What is your feeling on a June date for this? And how long do you think it will take to get the testing system in operation? I am not in any position to get a PPL right now, but very much would like to fly UAVs commercially

At the most recent event, the date of September is now being floated. I still feel like end of June is likely. One thing about the 333; you won't be expected to test out (according to most on the inside of the FAA)
By test out, what do you mean? Do you mean holders of a 333 won't have to take the initial test?

By test out, what do you mean? Do you mean holders of a 333 won't have to take the initial test?
I think that is what he was referring to. Makes sense, since 333 holders already have a PPL or better.

Do they have a test set up, or is it going to be another 6 months before that is ready? Realistically pushing this to Q1 2017....

Everyone in the industry is of the expectation this will launch before the elections. I have seen some of the test criteria, and believe it will be executed "soon."

OK, one last one for now. I picked up the "Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge" from Sporty's to read up on the different airspace rules, any other areas that I should read up on?

Thanks!

OK, one last one for now. I picked up the "Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge" from Sporty's to read up on the different airspace rules, any other areas that I should read up on?

Thanks!

I'm also interested in what is vital reading for the non ppl holders. Any suggested topics / publications?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig