Boat Mode

I would venture to say the if 3DR opened up solo code it woud happen
but without that, it is over for boat mode

I've tried launching while tied completely off to a dock in a canal, so it's not just the lateral movement it's even the tiniest motion of the boat. Pretty frustrating considering I launched Phantom 2 while the boat was in gear. Had I known this would have been a deal-killer for sure. Now limited to just launching from the dock and landing on the boat offshore but I've absolutely gotten so far offshore that had it tried to go Home it wouldn't have made it.

Boat mode is delayed due being delayed in Arducopter to begin with, right? Is it even up and running there yet? Once it is up and running a stable Arducopter firmware, 3DR would need to rebase again, right? Who knows if they'll do that.

Reactions: Courtland
Boat mode is delayed due being delayed in Arducopter to begin with, right? Is it even up and running there yet? Once it is up and running a stable Arducopter firmware, 3DR would need to rebase again, right? Who knows if they'll do that.
I think we all know the answer to that question.

3DR would need to rebase period
If you rebase solo then you have a lot of options
that does not look likely at this point

Hi Guys. Really really waiting for boat mode.

I tried to launch from a boat yesterday and It was very frustrating as I think It was for almost everybody that has tried it. I was working with the Brazilian Humpback Whale Institute, 10 miles away from the coast, swell around 3ft, lots of whales but my bird has decided to stay on board and not fly. No mag interference was detected (fiber boat), but several times, before "searching for GPS" screen appears, the bird has entered in "calibrating sensors" for a life... I was able to launch Solo only one time (hand launch, manual mode, after innumerous unsuccessful trials).

At the first attempt, after start the bird, RC and Solo App as usual, App did not recognize that It was connected (msg: "waiting for Solo"). Toons of reboots (no results). I also tried to go for a new RC pairing but it did not work. Trying to connect using tower same bad result. I think this problem is not concerned with the boat launch but once in terra firme I flew without any problem.

I will also test a balance platform in a few days, but for now, I just need to be able to launch or, unfortunately, I think I will need to buy some Phantom (really do not want that, love my Solo, but my competitors are using in boats without so much problems). Thanks in advance for your help. Hope 3dr is fast enough to update App with boat mode and I can use my Solo to fly in the open ocean.

I will try to disable ARMING_CHECK (putting "0" or "-17") using tower and test again to see If It will work better. As soon as I try I will post the results.

Yeah I've about had it on waiting for this dang thing. Thinking seriously about getting Phantom 4 off amazon and be done with it. I've already missed the bulk of this year's summer fishing season just waiting and waiting, I'd at least like to get "some" offshore video before the fall. If I'd have know it would have taken this long for boat mode I'd have just gotten a Phantom back in the spring.

Hey here is a question..... If I do get the Phantom, I know it comes with it's own camera and all whereas I am use to using my GoPro etc. In terms of downloading and editing I just use Iphoto/Imovie on my macbook. With the Phantom, is pretty much just plug-n-play like when I plug in the sd card from my GoPro? I remember about a year ago a friend who has an earlier model Phantom had some video we were trying to use on my mac, and it wouldn't download. Or is there a gimbal I can buy for it where I can keep using my GoPro?

Hi Guys. Really really waiting for boat mode.

I tried to launch from a boat yesterday and It was very frustrating as I think It was for almost everybody that has tried it. I was working with the Brazilian Humpback Whale Institute, 10 miles away from the coast, swell around 3ft, lots of whales but my bird has decided to stay on board and not fly. No mag interference was detected (fiber boat), but several times, before "searching for GPS" screen appears, the bird has entered in "calibrating sensors" for a life... I was able to launch Solo only one time (hand launch, manual mode, after innumerous unsuccessful trials).

At the first attempt, after start the bird, RC and Solo App as usual, App did not recognize that It was connected (msg: "waiting for Solo"). Toons of reboots (no results). I also tried to go for a new RC pairing but it did not work. Trying to connect using tower same bad result. I think this problem is not concerned with the boat launch but once in terra firme I flew without any problem.

I will also test a balance platform in a few days, but for now, I just need to be able to launch or, unfortunately, I think I will need to buy some Phantom (really do not want that, love my Solo, but my competitors are using in boats without so much problems). Thanks in advance for your help. Hope 3dr is fast enough to update App with boat mode and I can use my Solo to fly in the open ocean.

I will try to disable ARMING_CHECK (putting "0" or "-17") using tower and test again to see If It will work better. As soon as I try I will post the results.

Just to update.
Once 3dr support said that I will be able to launch after change the ARMING_CHECK parameter, I return to test it on the ocean. Tried with 0 and - 17. Nothing has change and the bird still dead on the boat. Trying to fly with a p2 and also a p4 I was able to launch both in all kind of circunstance (moving, stopped, w and wo gps,..).

Just to update.
Once 3dr support said that I will be able to launch after change the ARMING_CHECK parameter, I return to test it on the ocean. Tried with 0 and - 17. Nothing has change and the bird still dead on the boat. Trying to fly with a p2 and also a p4 I was able to launch both in all kind of circunstance (moving, stopped, w and wo gps,..).
Not a surprise. This will not work.
The only way to launch from a (moving) boat right now is to run through the prearm checks at land, and then to carry Solo on the boat while keeping it powered on. Someone on fb added a remote power supply to keep Solo powered up when the battery needs to be swapped.

Reactions: RENATO TOME
Not a surprise. This will not work.
The only way to launch from a (moving) boat right now is to run through the prearm checks at land, and then to carry Solo on the boat while keeping it powered on. Someone on fb added a remote power supply to keep Solo powered up when the battery needs to be swapped.
Why wouldn't it work with the prearm checks disabled?

It's just doesn't is the best answer. Actually disabling those prearm checks does work on a DIY build running arducopter, but the Solo is different. Also, with 3.4 has boat mode features already built in, but the Solo runs on a branch of an earlier version.

We've had devs weigh in. We've had experienced arducopter flyers weigh in. We've tried some funky experiments. We even had the CEO of 3DR promise boat mode it was coming in the next software update (back in March before he was essentially pushed aside and demoted).

The only way to take off from a boat with Solo is if it's extremely calm. Or if you arm on land and keep it powered on while you go out on the boat (someone even created a backup power supply to make this easier).

As much as it pains me to say, if you want to fly from a boat, the P4 is your best option.

I don't know, but it doesn't work. Guys I'm just a hack and don't know the tech lingo etc that you guys do but earlier in the year just after I got my solo, I tried everything under the sun that everyone suggested, and NOTHING will work. The ONLY times I've been able to make it work was when in a lagoon environment where the water is practically glass. In the rare occasions I got past "4 green lights", then it would initialize, but on occasion I"d see "motion detected" on the controller, I hit the button to ignore it and it flew just fine.

Like I said earlier, the only "timely" solution to this, for me, is to invest in a Phantom.

Reactions: RENATO TOME

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig