Best GoPro knockoff?

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just got my first Solo and I'm looking to get a decent GoPro knockoff. I'm seriously considering the GitUp cameras because of how tinker-friendly they are, and I've also looked at the SJCAM SJ4000. Are there any big issues with either of those options?

My main concern is:

- Does it work with FPV (pretty easy to see both have HDMI, so unless there is a weird resolution issue I assume that'll be fine)
- Will it record while connected via HDMI?
- Are there any other big issues using it with the Solo?

I do not have a 3DR gimbal and when I get a gimbal I'll almost certainly buy a third party one, so compatibility with the 3DR gimbal isn't really important to me.

Suggestions? I would prefer to keep things under $130.

I don't know the best GP knock off for Solo but there are many threads on the subject.

I recently mounted an SJ7 to my Solo # 2 without a gimbal. No mods were required and it does record with the HDMI plugged in; you need to start recording manually though.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Why bother? You can get a Hero 4 black on ebay for what your looking to spend. I have not seen a single cheap chinese knock off that even came close to gopro's build quality, video quality, and support.(still get firmware updates) I would take a used 4black over any of these suggested knock offs. Not only for the issues I've already mentioned, but the interface with the solo is really designed for the gopro. plug and play is worth a lot, just sayin'
Rick

I agree with Rick, I bought two GP 4 Black's on ebay for about $150 each AND you can sell a GP when you want.

I have a GP Silver I'll sell you for $100. I put a 3.7mm lens in it (not Peau) and it works 100% in the solo. The only issue is that it doesn't have wifi -- this doesn't bother me as I don't use wifi on the gopro.

The best and cheapest knock off is called hero 3+ refurnished, you can find one around 100. That said, i would go for hero 4 black refurnished around 200.

Reactions: JBAlaska

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dachl