Best current Android tablet for Tower 2016/08

Reaction score
I have seen this same question posted previously, but those threads are mostly filled with recomendations of what has worked in the past with old models that are no longer available

i am buying new for mapping use with tower, so I'm hoping people who have used tower and purchased recently can chime in with recomendations of currently available models.

These are my criteria:
  • Price is no object as this is a work tool, and will only be used with Solo.
  • Stable with tower, solo and gopro app
  • Can be fitted to the Solo controller
  • Good in daylight
  • Has sim card slot
  • Available unlocked
  • Running Marshmellow at least
Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

I still recommend to stay as pure Android as you can. The wide variety of 'Skins' that manufacturers put on their tablet can create compatibility problems. That generally means the Nexus line of tablets will be your best choice. There is a new 7" coming out in the next month or so, but you can still find the Nexus 7 (2013) that many Solo users use. It's great with the 3Dr, Solex and Tower app and still has one of the brightest screens. I use the Verizon model and have had excellent service from it. Currently running Android 6.01 with no problems.

Reactions: Damien
the nexus 9 is no longer in production so the price should start dropping
it does not have a sd card slot
but I got the 64gb version pretty cheap at Christmas
the one thing good about nexus is it will continue to be updated
I just got my Nougat update last week
and it is running the purest form of android you can find.
I use mine specifically for solo and tower.
It does just fit the controller even with a DIY hood

Reactions: Damien
Thanks, I'm new to android, still lots to learn, I'm on a BlackBerry Priv which i understand is really close to stock android at least so sounds like a nexus tablet is the go...

Do you think any of the apps we need will require updates for nougat? And if so would that make a new one potentially risky given the current 3dr dev scene?

Hi all. Very new around here and to quads. Rather than posting yet another thread thought I would ask the same question considering it's April 2017.
My criteria is less than three franklins yet that's a lot for me. I'm not really tech savvy either. I'm not opposed to a used unit if it's oop. Thank you!

I just got a new Nexus 7 with more ram and now I can not download solex or the Solo app any ideas. PLEASE.

A few simple set of questions I hope someone can answer...
Will the NEXUS 7 (2013) non-LTE, still function in the SOLO app in the "follow me" mode?
If someone can verify this for me this would be much appreciated.

I have used 6 different Android phones of various models and have gotten more than 6 different results from each test. Some the "follow mode" would work and with other phones it wouldn't but then the video would store fine but others the video would stop in mid flight "live streaming" and others would stream fine but no "follow" mode etc. etc.
And if this works on your phone can you provide as much info as possible like if its a basic Wifi only (Non-LTE), which Android version are you running, or if its rooted which ROOT/OS build are you running, are you using the HDMI input on the remote control to interface to the NEXUS 7. Which GoPro are you using? I haven't tried this port yet and have heard some people having issues..

My current setup is:
Sprint service, Galaxy Sport 5 phone and as tested, every option in SOLO works great :), I would just like a bigger screen.

Thanks for any info.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig