Bearing replacement

Reaction score
I had a motor with a bearing that felt slightly rough when I spun it by hand, and it sounded like it started to make some abnormal noise.
I read a number of threads that indicated the bearing could be replaced.

I read the thread "Motor Pod bearing size" and found the part numbers for the upper and lower bearings.

I ordered a set of bearing from Boca. Part number SR2-LL/C#C and SR2-5UU #3. They fit perfectly. I think the total cost was around $16.00 for the set.

After I received the bearings I took the motor pod out of my Solo and started disassembling it. I ended up cutting the top off of the two plastic tabs that hold and center the motor frame to the pod's circuit board. I did not have to de-solder the wires to the motor. I did have some problems getting the retainer clip off of the end of the motor shaft.

Once the clip is off you can pull the motor hub and shaft out of the motor frame. Then using some small tools and patience I was able to push both of the old bearings out of the motor frame. The best way I found to do this was to find a socket that was just bigger than the bearing and a small screw driver stuck through the bearing center of the bearing at the other end. With some gentle tapping on the screw driver with a hammer I was able to drive each of the bearings out of the motor frame. It might have been easier with a small bearing puller.

I placed the new bearings in with my thumbs then gently seated then with a socket and a hammer. Then reassembled the motor.

I got hung up for a while when I broke the retainer clip. Fortunately I was able to buy a snap ring kit from my local auto parts store that had a set of 1/8'' external snap rings (1/8" = 3.175 mm). I elected to not re-melt the plastic pins on the motor frame. There is till plenty of material on the pins to key the motor lock into the frame when everything is reassembled with all of the screws in place.

I reassembled the motor pod into the Solo. The motor is quiet and spins by hand just like the other three motors.
I have now logged an hour or two of flight time on the new bearings.

I want to thank everyone who has posted info on the motor pods in this forum. It was very helpful.

P.S. if you want to tackle replacing the bearings in your motor pods, you really should buy a set of micro snap ring pliers.
It took me a long time to get the old snap ring off with out one.

- Mike

Nice write up. Just a suggestion, replace bearings for all motors... The figure 8 cir-clip is a one time use in my experience. Typical c-clips are easier to install and are readily available, just make sure they clear the pod's frame.

Nice write up. Just a suggestion, replace bearings for all motors... The figure 8 cir-clip is a one time use in my experience. Typical c-clips are easier to install and are readily available, just make sure they clear the pod's frame.
Can someone post a video accomplishing this task in the future- because eventually, we are all going to have to attempt this. It’s always easier watching someone do it while you are trying to do it!

Can someone post a video accomplishing this task in the future- because eventually, we are all going to have to attempt this. It’s always easier watching someone do it while you are trying to do it!

This link is a another good thread for changing bearings. It really jumps around, but lots of great discussion and linked videos...your request done.

How To Replace Solo Motor Bearings!

Reactions: Saijin_Naib
I sincerely doubt my ability to do this. How much is a fair number per pod in labor?

I sincerely doubt my ability to do this. How much is a fair number per pod in labor?
It's not that bad and is a benefit to learn the process. You don't need any exotic tools, it just makes the processing easier. @MRhoades does a good job explaining his thoughts and the process.

Regardless of the copter, bearing replacement is a requirement at some point. A bad bearing will always spoil a great experience. No skills required, just common sense...and persistence. Just use the old bearings to practice the extraction and installation method that works best for you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc