Battery went from 45% to 0% in under 60sec.wtf? Drone is MIA

Reaction score
According to Solex my Solo distance is 681 ft away and altitude is -311.4 inches. I launched from on top of a ridge and am about to hike down and see if I can find her.
The altitude is measured from where it took off right? Not from sea level.
Is there anything else I should know about the app that can help me track my quad down? How long do I have if the Solo battery died? FYI the red and blue dots are blinking . I think it's still connected.
Can I carry the tablet only or do I need the 3drcontroller as well? It could be a bit treacherous in spots climbing down.

Thanks for helping if you can
Ed.it

I don't understand how the altitude could be that close to its launch altitude as it launched off the side of a ridge and its all down hill from here especially 600ft away

What lights are seeing blink? Yes you need the controller to go with the tablet. The controller is the wifi access point.

Does the controller say it's connected still?

"-311.4 inches" are you sure it's inches? I can't remember ever seeing altitude reported in inches.

Feet would make more sense in your case. Like p2p asked, what blinking lights are you referring to?

"-311.4 inches" are you sure it's inches? I can't remember ever seeing altitude reported in inches.

Feet would make more sense in your case. Like p2p asked, what blinking lights are you referring to?
The lights I was referring to are omtheS x screen . I'm new sole user and unsure of the names of the various screens. It's the screen that shows the map. Flashing blue I believe is the controller /home location and the flashing red ,which is a slightly larger circle I'm assuming is the Solo.
I'm unable to get the map to finish filling in. Not satellite view , nor hybrid , nothing. It's just blank white with the 2blinking circles. The blue one has a square around it (thin green line )

It was connected last I saw it. I'm away from the location at the moment. ....gone to rally support; another drone and some feet on the ground. Maybe a blood hound or two , though they're much better at finding pigs

The lack of a map loading is probably just due to a crappy internet connection. Two bars.

That was definitely connected to the drone still at the time. But I'm not sure what the red dot in the corner is. I think that might be a recording indicator? The blue dot is you. The battery is likely dead by now so you'll have to search.

Looks like it's in the pond. I feel so cheated . Why did the battery drop so fast . I was confident that I had more than enough battery and time to return
to launch safely. It went from about 45% battery to 0% in under 60 seconds. Is there flight data that can explain what happened?

Attachments

• IMG_2106.JPG
    IMG_2106.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 49
You can download the logs from the controller. They should hopefully have the answers you seek.
Battery percentage does not seem to be linear, but 45-0% in 60 seconds is not right.

Quite likely a battery failure. The tlog files from your controller will tell the tale.

Without speculation, any chance your bird ran into something or was armed to land..
Armed to land? Well I imagine so , I had no choice really. The battery was heading fast to zero and I was trying my damnedest to get it back to the launch point as the controller was telling me " you better land soon or get out your credit card" which at the time I found not at all funny, to say the least. When I was at 45%. I had commenced RTH. When I suddenly saw the battery dropping in power I tried to take over and get her back faster, because at the rate is was travellling, it wasn't returning fast enough. And I was right. But again , I've always had MORE than enough time to get back at 45%. This was an unprecedented sudden loss of power. I was doing everything I could with my limited experience to avoid going down in the water. At one point I stopped the camera recording hoping that would give me an iota of more power. I probably would have tried turning off the lights as well , though I'd imagine that neither of those things would amount to much difference.
It's all in the log I'm hoping. I can't seem to move the file though. I downloaded it to my android devices SD card from the controller using AND FTP But when I try to select it to upload it here, it's grayed out. Un-selectable perhaps I need to convert it to a different format.

Armed to land? Well I imagine so , I had no choice really. The battery was heading fast to zero and I was trying my damnedest to get it back to the launch point as the controller was telling me " you better land soon or get out your credit card" which at the time I found not at all funny, to say the least. When I was at 45%. I had commenced RTH. When I suddenly saw the battery dropping in power I tried to take over and get her back faster, because at the rate is was travellling, it wasn't returning fast enough. And I was right. But again , I've always had MORE than enough time to get back at 45%. This was an unprecedented sudden loss of power. I was doing everything I could with my limited experience to avoid going down in the water. At one point I stopped the camera recording hoping that would give me an iota of more power. I probably would have tried turning off the lights as well , though I'd imagine that neither of those things would amount to much difference.
It's all in the log I'm hoping. I can't seem to move the file though. I downloaded it to my android devices SD card from the controller using AND FTP But when I try to select it to upload it here, it's grayed out. Un-selectable perhaps I need to convert it to a different format.
It definitely did Not run into anything.

Good luck to your endeavour!

I lost my solo on July 1 too! But only recovered the logs 2 days later. Thank fully it landed in the trees after it just decided to land too. But it descended quite gracefully before hitting the trees. Thankfully it is still alive!
My only guess so far is Solex might have a profile that didn't agree with the Solo. Even if at that time - I was actually using the default Solo app.

As for your battery - I have a similar battery that I now call Unit 0.
I'm only guessing I been charging it to 100% and just keeping it in storage too long. And possibly used it in extreme temperatures that the battery didn't like.
Today - I tested it and only got 20 seconds fly up, then land right down. I should throw this to the recycling bin.

I have another battery that was good, but did fall in power fast once or twice only. My best guess is it wasn't warmed up. So now I at least put them in my jacket pocket while I walk to my take off spot.

As a new user you really shouldn't launch off a cliff with any bird.

I would say it's a loss, buy just a a bird on from b & h...you already have the controller and power supplies. t's much cheaper. Get a set of master airscrew props, and a battery
Keep your eyes open for a deal on the gimbal under $60.00

Next time launch from a wide open field and get familiar with the flight characteristics
before you launch from a cliff.
Near mountains and cliffs you should really fly above it.

I flew mostly over wide open fields, next step was marshes and estuaries, now I am flying 500ft off the coastline and 2000 feet away from me.
Next step for me is using the Tower app to make similar flights . Goal is an automated flight to a small island off the coast and back.
Taking steps and learning. If I just dove in with an automated flight to the northern coast of prudence island there would be a strong chance I would loose the bird

The lights I was referring to are omtheS x screen . I'm new sole user and unsure of the names of the various screens. It's the screen that shows the map. Flashing blue I believe is the controller /home location and the flashing red ,which is a slightly larger circle I'm assuming is the Solo.
I'm unable to get the map to finish filling in. Not satellite view , nor hybrid , nothing. It's just blank white with the 2blinking circles. The blue one has a square around it (thin green line )

It was connected last I saw it. I'm away from the location at the moment. ....gone to rally support; another drone and some feet on the ground. Maybe a blood hound or two , though they're much better at finding pigs

Reactions: skyhax
still makes me wonder if a lot of these cheap solos are not reboxed returns.
they seem more problem prone
I have one from June launch two years ago, and one when they went sub 500. Neither one give me issues

still makes me wonder if a lot of these cheap solos are not reboxed returns.
they seem more problem prone
I have one from June launch two years ago, and one when they went sub 500. Neither one give me issues
Ya know, I am wondering if that isn't true. I bought one of the 'refurb's' from 3DR. The battery that came with it would *not* take a charge. 3DR sent me a replacement. The GPS was the original V1 and didn't even have the 3DR 'improved' GPS shield. I complained about that when I took advantage of the shield deal 3DR offered and the gal who is their support now, send me an extra shield. Couldn't talk her out of a v2 GPS board. :(

TOK

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig