Batteries now online $49.95

Reaction score
Thought I should bring this to the front page, Solo batteries available online right now at BestBuy.com, $49.95 with free shipping

Thanks for pointing that out ZdroneZ, I just picked up two more batteries. I think I set now, I have 7 batteries now and two Solo drones complete with Gopros. That should cover me for a year I hope.

It looks like the batteries are no longer on sale for the $49.95 price online. I was able to grab one in store over the weekend at that price though.

Hello!

I just saw the deal on Best Buy and wondered from actual owners if this would be a good purchase with the current state of 3DR?
As I understand it they are out of the drone business and doing software only these days.
If that is true what does the future of support look like?
I see the web site is still promoting sales but is that for what they have in stock and then it's done?
I am seriously torn here as this is a great deal and the platform is open source.

Thank you all in advance for your input and consideration in the matter.

I tried to build a drone with similar capability with the Solo using similar hardware. I think I ended up spending more than 600-700 overall. The Best Buy deal is good from my view since I'm familiar with the "brain" ( pixhawk/apm platform) and only semi-bad in soldering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello!

I just saw the deal on Best Buy and wondered from actual owners if this would be a good purchase with the current state of 3DR?
As I understand it they are out of the drone business and doing software only these days.
I see the web site is still promoting sales but is that for what they have in stock and then it's done?
I am seriously torn here as this is a great deal and the platform is open source.

If you're keen on the open source part (as I am)... then this is the only RTF platform right now... worth it at twice the price, especially given you cant build anything yourself thats comparable for close to that money.

Also, Solo with gimbal, extra props and backpack for $399.
3dr solo - Best Buy

Or, Solo with gimbal & extra props without backpack, $379.
I literally just bought this package last week without the backpack and thought there is no way it will get batter then that. I guess I was wrong. Going back tomorrow to see if I can get the backpack thrown in for free. I will let u know.

Reactions: Maddog
Hello!

Hi Scott- welcome to the forum.
3DR is no longer in the consumer drone business- they have switched to the commercial market with their Site Scan software. That still requires a Solo.

Currently people are reporting good things with tech support via chat.
There's no way to know what the future holds for that, but I think tech support will still be necessary for Site Scan customers and thus, every Solo owner

The company CEO stated they will not be making any more drones. If that is true, they must have some in inventory for Site Scan customers.

Is it a good idea to buy one? Depends on what you intend to use it for.
Right now, there probably isn't a better drone on the market for aerial videography.

So, if 3DR were to go out of business:

- If you have a problem that can't be solved by someone here, you may be grounded. Tech support is really only necessary if you have a serious problem that requires them to diagnose. Most owners either never have those problems or they get them resolved soon after buying Solo.

- as long as parts are available, you can continue to fly.

- Solo really has all the software functionality that most people want (like smart shots). Other people are producing software, like Solex, that enhances what Solo does.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Solo Keith
Thank you so much for the information! I read about the Site Scan, but thought that was software only.
I think I am sold.
Thank you.

Oh, hello everyone!

Last edited:
sitescan is hardware/software combined package. For now, it is married to Solo. That said, the software can migrate to other platforms with some adjustments.

Thank you for this! I was on a shoot yesterday with three batteries and it was a little frustrating.

Two batteries and four boxes of props, 120 bucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 509Pilot
Hi all,

I am new, so please forgive me here, but I dove in and got a Solo with a gimbal from BB [blue box].
I have a GoPro 3 silver and don't get any video with my iPad 3 mini.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Hi all,

I am new, so please forgive me here, but I dove in and got a Solo with a gimbal from BB [blue box].
I have a GoPro 3 silver and don't get any video with my iPad 3 mini.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!
If I recall correctly you'll need at least a Hero 3 Plus for proper operation.
It would be a good idea to upgrade to a 4 anyway... they can now use the linear mode for non-fisheye video.

I think you need a 3+ black if that's what it's called.

My 3+ silver gives video, but no control.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44