Basic Guide to Solo Antennas (Stock, Alfa, FPVLR)

No doubt many have done this, me included.

Solo uses a diversity propagation protocol. As such it depends on a dual antenna configuration that works best if the antennas are balanced.

The Alfa develops 7db of gain vs the rubber duck (stick) making 2db of gain.

I replaced my 2db ducks with 6db whips. This both provides additional gain used together and better matches the Alpha in a combo set up.

What was you range with that setup?

For what it's worth, in an RF-quiet canyon, I got double the usual distance using one ALFA antenna, but got over triple the usual distance with two ALFA antennas, with my max distance being 8000 feet, and even then I still had a good video feed despite showing zero bars. Performance will be much worse in RF-noisy areas, of course. I can't even get half a mile with both ALFA's in some suburban areas.

In previous discussions about this, knowledgeable folks who I trust posted that mismatched antennas is a Bad Thing. So I only use the two stock antennas or two ALFA's now, and don't mix them any more.

For what it's worth, in an RF-quiet canyon, I got double the usual distance using one ALFA antenna, but got over triple the usual distance with two ALFA antennas, with my max distance being 8000 feet, and even then I still had a good video feed despite showing zero bars. Performance will be much worse in RF-noisy areas, of course. I can't even get half a mile with both ALFA's in some suburban areas.

In previous discussions about this, knowledgeable folks who I trust posted that mismatched antennas is a Bad Thing. So I only use the two stock antennas or two ALFA's now, and don't mix them any more.

Bad thing as hard on equipment or bad on range?

what do you mean when you say mix antenna's?

one stock antenna on the controller and one alfa antenna on the controller?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc