Backyard Gps Test

Reaction score
I had time today to swap out the stock GPS to the mRobotics Neo-M8N Solo upgrade GPS. I did both of my Solo's, and did some tests in my backyard before installing the new ones. The location of the test was on my patio which has the patio cover, a fence with the house next door, my house, and trees bordering my house. The open sky above is there, but trees block it from being totally open. I was able to get 9 sats in 40-45 secs. with a HDOP of 1.6. This was the same for both Solo's except Solo #2 took 1 min. 10secs. to acquire 7 sats. This was with the stock green Rev "A" in both Solos. After installing the Neo-M8N, from the same location I got 12 sats in 20 sec., and 16 sats in 50 secs. with a HDOP of 0.7. Solo #2 got 14 sats in 15 secs, and 19 sats in 55 secs., also with a HDOP of 0.7. Also, with both Solo's, I could get 5 - 7 sats indoors with the stock GPS, and with the upgraded Neo-M8N, that went up to 14 sats from the same spot inside my house. This may not be the most scientific of tests, but I am real happy with the results, and I know I will be able to fly with more confidence of my GPS signal in areas I had problems in the past. I hope this helps some of you who are on the fence about spending 80 bucks on a GPS upgrade. I think Jordi's Neo-M8N Solo upgrade is money well spent.

Although I keep reading these same acquisition results, what are the real world differences pilots will experience? Better hover, stability, less fly aways,....?

Last edited:
Although I keep reading these same acquisition results, what are the real world differences pilots will experience? Better hover, stability, less fly aways,....?
I think what most of us who make the upgrade are looking for, is a stronger GPS signal while flying around obstacles like trees, buildings, and any object that might otherwise block or interfere the GPS signal. The more satellites you can acquire, the less likely you are to lose signal completely. I hope this answers your question, and welcome to the forum.

Thank you for the warm welcome.

Are you saying you're having issues flying around obstructions due to poor GPS signal? Since the wifi signal is much more suseptible to interference, I wonder how much of these issues are really due to poor wifi reception? This seems to be the bigger issue.

Last edited:
I think with the GPS, it is more of a problem when you fly under tree canopies, or for that matter, under anything that make block a clear view of the sky which may interfere with the GPS signal. I tried flying in a couple of places in the past where mountains all around kept me from a good GPS lock, even with somewhat of an open sky straight up. As for wifi, there are a lot of things that can disrupt your signal. Things like high wifi traffic in the area, cell towers, electrical wires, and even though they may be a ways off, microwave towers can play heck with your wifi connection.

For me it's simple really - I fly near lots of trees and wooded areas. I sometimes therefore like to follow "trails" for hiking and backpacking. With the stock GPS this was flat-out impossible. The moment a clear view to the sky was blocked, even by the finest leaves, GPS lock was lost.
Since installing the mrobotics unit I've yet to lose lock, and rarely see less than 12 satellites even under moderate cover.

Reactions: Chuck

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M