Auto return home crashed my Solo

..be ready to hit up throttle on the left stick to cancel RTH, or assign FLY:Manual to the A button and practice using it regularly.
Doesn't the Pause button do the same thing? I stop RTH all the time hitting either that or the Fly button-I don't see any reason to assign it to A or B if it's already there.

Doesn't the Pause button do the same thing? I stop RTH all the time hitting either that or the Fly button-I don't see any reason to assign it to A or B if it's already there.

Those do work if you still have GPS signal. The problem arises when losing GPS, and not having a quick way to switch over to "Manual" (Alt. Hold) as it begins losing signal and starts flying erratic. Pause and Fly aren't going to always give you solid control. FLY:Manual is more consistent and reliable.

Those do work if you still have GPS signal. The problem arises when losing GPS, and not having a quick way to switch over to "Manual" (Alt. Hold) as it begins losing signal and starts flying erratic. Pause and Fly aren't going to always give you solid control. FLY:Manual is more consistent and reliable.
Thanks for the explanation.

Reactions: Killboy
I feel for you brother it's not your fault. There is still some bugs that need to be fixed - if the copter is in the area where you launched from and the battery is super low that the copter needs to return home it should just automatically land on its own. Also if the copter looses GPS location it would automatically go to an altitude hold and let you know via led or remote or led that you are not in GPS mode anymore. 1ghz Linux computer is smart enough to do these things - someone smart in 3dr will eventually figure it out - unfortunately our copters have to pay the ultimate price by crashing themselves - so we just have to keep sending 3dr our crash info so they can fix it. I am confident that this will be a great copter one day but for now we need to be great pilots by practice flying this copter in manual.

I feel for you brother it's not your fault. There is still some bugs that need to be fixed - if the copter is in the area where you launched from and the battery is super low that the copter needs to return home it should just automatically land on its own.

It does.

Also if the copter looses GPS location it would automatically go to an altitude hold and let you know via led or remote or led that you are not in GPS mode anymore.

It does.

Maybe we should hook up a flux capacitor to a 3dr solo and take it to 88 mph - just make surewe we are well above 25% of battery - otherwise we won't be able to get it back.

So is the 20min advertised flight time based on a 25% battery life upon landing the air craft - of is the true flight time actually 10-12 minutes to keep our copters form crashing?

These companies cover their butts. They alwasy say fly in a wide open field free of obsticles and interference. I personally never fly on anything other than grass now. In my very early days quite a few years ago, I was flying my phantom 1 on the driveway and I experienced prop wash, the phantom while trying to land tipped over on the concrete and I lost a couple of props. From that day, I vowed to always find grass. This way if you end up with prop wash, you can set her down with very minimal damage and might lose a prop but in most cases she just gets dirty.

Setting A to manual is a great idea if you can fly in manual mode. For the inexperienced, this might not be the best idea especially in a congested urban area, so you might want to learn manual flying. I know that was one of the very first things I learned while in the hobby. But if you dont know how to fly full manul, you just hang on for the ride and hope for the best. These things can be very dangerous and get out of hand very quickly. When situations start to escilate, they escilate fast and furious and most people panic.

Reading through this thread reminds me how scary it is that MRs are being mass marketed through every mass retailer as an impulse buy and 'Look, no hands! Anybody can fly them!" I don't care if it's 3DR, Parrot or DJI, the message is the same. The result is the expectation these new pilots have is through the roof. "Why can't it just do ***, or what if I do *** shouldn't it KNOW what I wanted and do this anyway? I thought they said this thing was Smart!"

Unfortunately, what many new pilots don't appreciate is just how smart these have become in just the last 18-24 months. It's amazing what all the manufacturers have been able to incorporate and pilot error precautions that have become standard. But, it is still not good enough. They are going to have to be crash proof and Idiot proof to truly be up to expectations.

Nobody takes the time to LEARN to fly RC anymore. If they did, I guarantee the crash/accident rates would be dramatically lower. What do I mean by LEARN to fly? It means that when you get your first MultiRotor you have already spent a few hours on a simulator. The you get out of your urban neighborhood and find a nice open field. You turn off anything having to do with GPS (put it in non gps mode). You bring it up a few feet and try to keep it one spot. But since you started on a simulator, this is now easier than you thought. As you get more comfortable, you now are up to 6-10' high and doing slow figure eights. From there, you now practice hovering with the Nose In looking at you. When you can hold it safely in a hover, nose in, you are now ready for forward flight, getting your speed up and taking it further out. Now that you are comfortable with that, you can start using the GPS and other smart features, but you are always ready with the push of a button to go back to manual as needed, because you now know how your stick inputs should be responded to and know immediately when the MR is doing something it shouldn't.

Those that take the time to really learn to fly and be comfortable flying without GPS will also tell you it is more fun to actually be the Pilot In Command and do the flying. Not just pushing buttons and watching results. GPS and Smart Shots have their place, but only as an add on to already knowing the basics.

Just my .02...Sorry for the rant!

Reading through this thread reminds me how scary it is that MRs are being mass marketed through every mass retailer as an impulse buy and 'Look, no hands! Anybody can fly them!" I don't care if it's 3DR, Parrot or DJI, the message is the same. The result is the expectation these new pilots have is through the roof. "Why can't it just do ***, or what if I do *** shouldn't it KNOW what I wanted and do this anyway? I thought they said this thing was Smart!"

Unfortunately, what many new pilots don't appreciate is just how smart these have become in just the last 18-24 months. It's amazing what all the manufacturers have been able to incorporate and pilot error precautions that have become standard. But, it is still not good enough. They are going to have to be crash proof and Idiot proof to truly be up to expectations.

Nobody takes the time to LEARN to fly RC anymore. If they did, I guarantee the crash/accident rates would be dramatically lower. What do I mean by LEARN to fly? It means that when you get your first MultiRotor you have already spent a few hours on a simulator. The you get out of your urban neighborhood and find a nice open field. You turn off anything having to do with GPS (put it in non gps mode). You bring it up a few feet and try to keep it one spot. But since you started on a simulator, this is now easier than you thought. As you get more comfortable, you now are up to 6-10' high and doing slow figure eights. From there, you now practice hovering with the Nose In looking at you. When you can hold it safely in a hover, nose in, you are now ready for forward flight, getting your speed up and taking it further out. Now that you are comfortable with that, you can start using the GPS and other smart features, but you are always ready with the push of a button to go back to manual as needed, because you now know how your stick inputs should be responded to and know immediately when the MR is doing something it shouldn't.

Those that take the time to really learn to fly and be comfortable flying without GPS will also tell you it is more fun to actually be the Pilot In Command and do the flying. Not just pushing buttons and watching results. GPS and Smart Shots have their place, but only as an add on to already knowing the basics.

I couldn't agree more. I remember pre DJI days or even the phantom 1. You had to understand how things worked because you had to setup the flight controller and fpv/osd. Even before that with complete DIY with pixhawk FC's, you learned a lot configuring and understanding what each configurable setting was. Tuning taught you a lot too and help fly. They came out with auto tune and this removed some user learning and now everything "flies" itself.

People need to stop relying on the automation and learn how to fly themselves. Whats the point in the hobby if you take all the fun out of learning to fly and changing parameters. This automated flight is changing the game for me. Luckily I have many years in the hobby. I enjoy flying the MR and not letting it fly itself.

We should invest the time learning and understanding what should happen before learning by trial and error.

Reactions: Jubalr

These are all very good points. But like I said if I had control it wouldn't have crashed. It acted like a stubborn two year old and did it's own thing even though I was telling it otherwise. That is my problem. This "safety feature" is causing crashes. If it didn't engage there wouldn't be a crash. Or if it just did a quick assessment of altitude and user input before engaging. Or if it just prompted you that RTL was going to engage with a "press (insert button here) to cancel". These are all easily implemented and would reduce crashes.

I've practiced flying this thing almost everyday since I got it and this isn't my first crash, but it is the first one that wasn't my fault. The first time I got it next to some tall trees. Not under them but next to them. I lost gps signal and the wind which was 10 to 20 MPH started carrying it into on of the trees. It got tangled up in on of them about 8ft off the ground. I only broke a few props and a major lesson was learned. That was my fault and I admit it. But this is not 100% my fault. It only would have been if I engaged RTH myself and I did not. You could argue that I did by letting the battery run low, but I was trying my best to get that thing on the ground since 25% warning.

So is the 20min advertised flight time based on a 25% battery life upon landing the air craft - of is the true flight time actually 10-12 minutes to keep our copters form crashing?

In my experience I'm usually at 97% to 95% before GPS lock. I hit record on the gopro right before I take off. I land as soon as the 25% warning happens. I land and stop the gopro. I have a 13 minute video clip usually.

IMHO, if we move the sticks when the Solo is in RTL or RTH it should understand that the pilot in command wants to alter the flight path and it should follow those instructions no matter if the Solo is in manual or an auto flight mode.

Reactions: Doug Benson
These are all very good points. But like I said if I had control it wouldn't have crashed. It acted like a stubborn two year old and did it's own thing even though I was telling it otherwise. That is my problem. This "safety feature" is causing crashes. If it didn't engage there wouldn't be a crash. Or if it just did a quick assessment of altitude and user input before engaging. Or if it just prompted you that RTL was going to engage with a "press (insert button here) to cancel". These are all easily implemented and would reduce crashes.

I've practiced flying this thing almost everyday since I got it and this isn't my first crash, but it is the first one that wasn't my fault. The first time I got it next to some tall trees. Not under them but next to them. I lost gps signal and the wind which was 10 to 20 MPH started carrying it into on of the trees. It got tangled up in on of them about 8ft off the ground. I only broke a few props and a major lesson was learned. That was my fault and I admit it. But this is not 100% my fault. It only would have been if I engaged RTH myself and I did not. You could argue that I did by letting the battery run low, but I was trying my best to get that thing on the ground since 25% warning.
I'm sorry that you crashed, but it was not because of RTH, it was pilot error. RTH is a safety trigger that has saved many more MRs than crashed them. Again, you are saying 'Yeah but it should have been smarter and known where it was and what I wanted'. Just like in full size aircraft, the pilot has to be ready to take control from automation at any time. As you stated yourself, you were not ready and it all happened too fast. A simple exit from RTH would have saved you from the 1st mistake of letting the battery get too low.

Take Care and Fly Safe..

I'm sorry that you crashed, but it was not because of RTH, it was pilot error. RTH is a safety trigger that has saved many more MRs than crashed them. Again, you are saying 'Yeah but it should have been smarter and known where it was and what I wanted'. Just like in full size aircraft, the pilot has to be ready to take control from automation at any time. As you stated yourself, you were not ready and it all happened too fast. A simple exit from RTH would have saved you from the 1st mistake of letting the battery get too low.

Take Care and Fly Safe..

There is no simple exit unless you set it up. They need to add in the simple exit. I disagree. Not pilot error. Like a real aircraft lets say I'm trying to land a commercial jet and I'm 2 feet off the ground and I'm in control just about to touch down. then suddenly the plane decides it wants to bank left and a wing strike the runway. that is how this analogy plays out. I was not relying on RTL at all.

Reactions: Doug Benson
Bottom line: You do have the option of total control at any moment, it's called Stabilize. Turns off GPS and Baro. Put it on your A button and learn to pop into and out of it.

While GPS is neat, it's no different than driving a car with dual controls, and relying on some hitchhiker who jumps and says "sure, I'll drive, you take a nap" is a huge leap of faith. If he makes a decision based on bad information, you lose, not him. It's your aircraft, not his, so be a boss and take charge. :)

Reactions: Jubalr
My controller is straight from factory. If this is such an important feature it should be there already mapped to a button. That's what I'm saying. Why don't you guys want an override option built in? What is wrong with the controller pulse vibrating for 10 seconds with a count down stating RTH is engaging and press X to cancel. What is wrong with that?

Reactions: Nerius
There are built in over rides, and for most of us they work just fine.
RTH has never "Crashed my drone"
But then again I know how to use it, and I have my over rides in place.
Mapping a button is not a herculean task. They default the buttons to smart shots and give you the user the power to change that.
they cant hold your hand the entire time, this goes back to learning your equipment and knowing how to use it.
Now if all the features did not work the way they were supposed to, then you need to submit a support ticket. Personally I wouldn't do that until you understand how it is supposed to work. Both my first crashes did not make sense to me. Went back and read the manual and DOH, it did what is was supposed to, I crashed the solo

Reactions: Jubalr and Killboy
I still love my solo. I only want it to get better. I just checked the manual and here is what it says about disengaging return home and no one here mentioned this. press the fly button. Don't think any of you read the manual guys mentioned this. Guess even the elite haven't read or memorized the entire thing. Or does this not work when at 10% battery. Anyone tried this?

4.9.2 Regain Manual Control Keep the controller easily accessible at all times during flight, including during Smart Shots, and be prepared to regain manual control at any time. To return to standard flight during Smart Shots, Return Home, or Land, press the Fly button.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44