Are These Batteries Authentic 3DR?

These aren't knockoffs. These are the same battery, they've just been re-branded to Cameron Sino with different decals on the bottom. And that odd color for the top when they're upside down has been Photoshopped for the ad for some reason. They are actually all black. I've seen references to these going back to 2016 so they aren't new. It's just no one is buying them since the OEM batteries have been so cheap.

Here's an ad from one of the retailers selling them:

Cameron Sino 5200mAh Battery for 3DR Solo Smart, Solo Drone, Solo Quadcopter | eBay

I agree that these are almost certainly manufactured exactly the same as the Solo batteries we usually see. Simple relabeling seems to be almost certain. They do have "3DR" embossed on on top exactly like the rest of the Solo batteries. Everything else about the housing looks identical also. I seriously doubt that any other manufacturer is going to spend the money on making such a perfect clone of the injection mold dies for a product with such a small ongoing market.

As far as freezer or refrigerator storage goes, the gains in dropping from 15C to 0C is quite small, and there is increased risk of condensation forming inside when the battery is brought back up to temperature. I have stored bare LiPo cells in the refrigerator in the past, but don't do it anymore. Smart batteries have circuitry inside and internal condensation would not be a good thing for them.
I believe that a 40% storage charge is more important. I've killed brand new LiPo batteries by leaving them 100% charged for many months. I don't make that mistake anymore. Most modern stand alone LiPo chargers have a storage charge function that automatically discharges/charges them to 40%,
Fortunately, the Solo smart battery has internal circuity that will slowly drag them down to around 60% if they are left with a full charge. Not perfect, but much better than 100%.

I agree that these are almost certainly manufactured exactly the same as the Solo batteries we usually see. Simple relabeling seems to be almost certain. They do have "3DR" embossed on on top exactly like the rest of the Solo batteries. Everything else about the housing looks identical also. I seriously doubt that any other manufacturer is going to spend the money on making such a perfect clone of the injection mold dies for a product with such a small ongoing market.

As far as freezer or refrigerator storage goes, the gains in dropping from 15C to 0C is quite small, and there is increased risk of condensation forming inside when the battery is brought back up to temperature. I have stored bare LiPo cells in the refrigerator in the past, but don't do it anymore. Smart batteries have circuitry inside and internal condensation would not be a good thing for them.
I believe that a 40% storage charge is more important. I've killed brand new LiPo batteries by leaving them 100% charged for many months. I don't make that mistake anymore. Most modern stand alone LiPo chargers have a storage charge function that automatically discharges/charges them to 40%,
Fortunately, the Solo smart battery has internal circuity that will slowly drag them down to around 60% if they are left with a full charge. Not perfect, but much better than 100%.[/QU

Fortunately, the Solo smart battery has internal circuity that will slowly drag them down to around 60% if they are left with a full charge. Not perfect, but much better than 100%.

The BMS brings the battery down to 54% in about three weeks from 100% charge. Once at 54%, it stays there indefinitely. I've been tracking several unused and in use batteries with the Madhacker battery tool (15 batteries all told) over the last year or so and have found this has been consistent. So that averages out to about a 2% drain per day until it gets to 54%.

Reactions: RichWest

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks