Anyone using VR goggles as a display?

Sky

Reaction score
Just saw these at Sam's. I'm a newbie, and currently using my cell phone as a display. I don't want to spend $$$ on a tablet just to be unable to see the bloody thing in bright sunlight.

What thinkest ye of this?

There are several threads here on the pros/ cons of goggles. I don't know anything about those in your post.

Most people don't favor goggles because you lose sight of Solo while wearing them.

There aren't any tablets that have great visibility in the sun.:(

Goggles are great if you want to strictly fly FPV and not intending on doing smart shots. Plug the goggles into the controller and forget the app and have fun.

Just saw these at Sam's. I'm a newbie, and currently using my cell phone as a display. I don't want to spend $$$ on a tablet just to be unable to see the bloody thing in bright sunlight.

What thinkest ye of this?

I've flown with goggles with a built in screen using HDMI from the controller on my Solo. For me the video was not "fast" enough and I felt I could not maintain enough control.

When I use a true FPV system with Fat Shark goggles on my X8 with a dedicated FPV camera the experience is real time. I use 5GHz wireless for the radio feed with a minim OSD for all of the telemetry to show on the screen in the goggles. Of course I never fly without a spotter. The experience is amazing. Another reason to use a separate FPV camera is that it's attached to the bird and not a gimbal. You need that to feel the bird pitching up and down and rolling side to side.

Again I would not recommend FPV with the current Solo setup.

I am waiting for my Avegant GLYPH.
Avegant Glyph | Home
My US friend already bought it for me, but need time for me to receive in my country.

I have to empahsized that, all below is SUPPOSEDLY : :) , since I have not touch it yet
01. It allows me to still see my tablet, it is not 100% closed kinda goggle. It allows our eyes to see below the eye zero horizon our surrounding.
Glyph + Drone Setup and Troubleshooting Instructions - Avegant Glyph Forums

02. All I need to see Solo is, flip up the eye piece which is a head support at the same time...well kinda.

So I will use this GLYPH only when needed, and not at all times...( me country has no LOS rule, btw ) the earphone is important, so that Solo's warning I can hear better.

In fact I am now using mini earplug type earphone.
How happy or dissapointed I shall be, I don't know. Seems to have dust build-up issue this Glyph
Dust Inside Lenses - Avegant Glyph Forums

I've flown with goggles with a built in screen using HDMI from the controller on my Solo. For me the video was not "fast" enough and I felt I could not maintain enough control.

When I use a true FPV system with Fat Shark goggles on my X8 with a dedicated FPV camera the experience is real time. I use 5GHz wireless for the radio feed with a minim OSD for all of the telemetry to show on the screen in the goggles. Of course I never fly without a spotter. The experience is amazing. Another reason to use a separate FPV camera is that it's attached to the bird and not a gimbal. You need that to feel the bird pitching up and down and rolling side to side.

Again I would not recommend FPV with the current Solo setup.
Thanks Red- excellent, concise explanation of how FPV works!

I am waiting for my Avegant GLYPH.
Avegant Glyph | Home
My US friend already bought it for me, but need time for me to receive in my country.

I have to empahsized that, all below is SUPPOSEDLY : :) , since I have not touch it yet
01. It allows me to still see my tablet, it is not 100% closed kinda goggle. It allows our eyes to see below the eye zero horizon our surrounding.
Glyph + Drone Setup and Troubleshooting Instructions - Avegant Glyph Forums

02. All I need to see Solo is, flip up the eye piece which is a head support at the same time...well kinda.

So I will use this GLYPH only when needed, and not at all times...( me country has no LOS rule, btw ) the earphone is important, so that Solo's warning I can hear better.

In fact I am now using mini earplug type earphone.
How happy or dissapointed I shall be, I don't know. Seems to have dust build-up issue this Glyph
Dust Inside Lenses - Avegant Glyph Forums

Looks cool- hope it works out!

Those goggles Sky posted are given away free here in South Africa if you buy a new Samsung Cell phone. You put the phone inside the goggles and view movies or whatever.
Some time ago Mad Dog mentioned he was looking at a system called VUFINE. Well I bought a set and I can report as follows:
1. The goggle (singular) fits onto a pair of glasses (supplied) and affords you a one eyed view of what your camera is seeing.
2. There is no problem about viewing your tablet or your SOLO in the air, as your left eye is open. In practice you would focus both eyes on the SOLO/tablet or on the picture in the view finder and with a little practice this comes quite natural.
3 The picture in the view finder is small but very clear.
4. If you wear glasses the Vufine will clip onto your glasses. The clip holds the Vufine via a magnet so it can be moved around to afford the best view.

I gotta say I was quite impressed with the system and enjoy the First Person View I get when flying!

Vufine.png

Reactions: Maddog
those look interesting. Although - and I may be dating myself here - the Steve Martin film 'The Jerk" immediately came to mind.

Would be cool to try out though.

Those goggles Sky posted are given away free here in South Africa if you buy a new Samsung Cell phone. You put the phone inside the goggles and view movies or whatever.
Some time ago Mad Dog mentioned he was looking at a system called VUFINE. Well I bought a set and I can report as follows:
1. The goggle (singular) fits onto a pair of glasses (supplied) and affords you a one eyed view of what your camera is seeing.
2. There is no problem about viewing your tablet or your SOLO in the air, as your left eye is open. In practice you would focus both eyes on the SOLO/tablet or on the picture in the view finder and with a little practice this comes quite natural.
3 The picture in the view finder is small but very clear.
4. If you wear glasses the Vufine will clip onto your glasses. The clip holds the Vufine via a magnet so it can be moved around to afford the best view.

I gotta say I was quite impressed with the system and enjoy the First Person View I get when flying!

View attachment 3675
Thanks Eddie! Others have posted that they don't work well in bright sunlight, while some say they work great. What is their return policy?

those look interesting. Although - and I may be dating myself here - the Steve Martin film 'The Jerk" immediately came to mind.

Would be cool to try out though.
Yes, the good ol Opti-Grab! But it caused your eyes to cross..

Reactions: digitaliris
Thanks Eddie! Others have posted that they don't work well in bright sunlight, while some say they work great. What is their return policy?
Hi mad Dog....Have no idea re the return policy. I bought mine from England as it was cheaper than in the States where Vufine is made?
Having played around with this thing in our bright sunlight I have decided to make a sort of shroud around my right eye and the Vufine view finder so as to exclude all outside light. This makes it look like a dark movie house with a bright screen up front and affords a much better view . This does not detract from seeing my controller or the SOLO in the sky when I need to but makes a much clearer picture in the view finder.

Hi mad Dog....Have no idea re the return policy. I bought mine from England as it was cheaper than in the States where Vufine is made?
Having played around with this thing in our bright sunlight I have decided to make a sort of shroud around my right eye and the Vufine view finder so as to exclude all outside light. This makes it look like a dark movie house with a bright screen up front and affords a much better view . This does not detract from seeing my controller or the SOLO in the sky when I need to but makes a much clearer picture in the view finder.
Ok, thanks. I'll check the website!

Yes, the good ol Opti-Grab! But it caused your eyes to cross..
Damn these glasses! Yessir, I damn thee!

Remember gang...FPV is not legal for what we're doing without a secondary observer who can maintain VLOS.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M