Alfa antenna alternatives?

Reaction score
Where I live its pretty hard to find the alfa antennas and I would like to improve my range, so i searched at AliExpress and i found these antennas, but I don't really know what am i looking at, how should I search them or what characteristics are nescesary for an antenna to work with the solo controllerScreenshot_2022-04-02-10-34-44-947_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpgScreenshot_2022-04-02-10-50-09-229_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpgScreenshot_2022-04-02-10-50-17-752_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg

1) choose the same connector as your transmitter's. sma or rp-sma.
2)choose right frequency. remote control signal is 2.4 GHz and video down-link is 5.8GHz.
3)choose the gain pattern you prefer. normal dipole antenna give you donut-shaped gain pattern. higher gain means the donut is more squeezed. if you want very long distance, directional antenna like patch or yagi also an valid option.

@Bruce the orphan : A correction to 2nd point : the data signal is only on 2.4GHz, the video link is also part of the 2.4GHz. There is no 5.8GHz link on 3DR Solo.

@Samuelg : If you want something as close as Alfa antenna then you need to look for a 'Patch Antenna' type. (That's the type of Alfa antenna)
I don't recommend the Aliexpress since most of the antennas will be just some dipoles with fancy cover. There is no real engineering in them, just some basic antennas.
Another type of antenna (after Patch one) I can recommend is the 'Collinear antenna'. That antenna is like a normal stick antenna, but longer.

These are what I use with excellent results

There may be cheaper suppliers out there

Reactions: Solo Keith

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc