Accessory Bay connection advice needed...

J R

Reaction score
Guys,

I bought the Polar Pro light kit for my Solo on the preorder. They didn't work so I got a credit back. Right before I left for Texas I ordered another set thinking my first set were defective. When I installed the first set I noticed some small screwdriver-like marks (scratches) around the accessory bay connection on the bird. I didn't think much of them at first but now I'm a bit worried that I got a "used" bird. The second set doesn't work either. Does anybody know what I might need to do to find out if my accessory bay connection on the bird is smoked?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jerry

Pop the battery tray off and inspect the ribbon cable leading to the accy-bay connector. Others have commented that the connection (soldered ribbon cable) on the main board is fragile and care should be taken when tilting the main board when accessing the board's HDMI plug.

The scratches could be from your own hand, while handling the bird... chicken or the egg thing....

Pop the battery tray off and inspect the ribbon cable leading to the accy-bay connector. Others have commented that the connection (soldered ribbon cable) on the main board is fragile and care should be taken when tilting the main board when accessing the board's HDMI plug.

The scratches could be from your own hand, while handling the bird... chicken or the egg thing....

Thanks, Rich. I'm not clear on where the "ribbon cable leading to the accy-bay connector" is located, can you be more specific? I've certainly tilted that main board on more than a dozen occasions! The scratches weren't mine, they are very unique. Like someone had messed with the connection before, many times.

Jerry

Photo courtesy of @SteveMyers75 post at Future of Solo

The lower portion at mid body, shows a ribbon cable attached to the main board....this leads to your accy bay connector.

8yhmy8.png

Reactions: J R
The lower portion at mid body, shows a ribbon cable attached to the main board....this leads to your accy bay connector.

Yeah, I know that connector. You think that might be the issue? At the black connector end?

Thanks for the help, Rich.

Jerry

I would suspect the soldered point on the board, since it is the fixed point when lifting the main board to access the HDMI plug. Really you'll be looking for broken or loose wires. I think you can ID a problem wire without removing the main board... Not sure, but it could be possible to view the ribbon termination from an open gimbal bay. I'd assume it would be obvious that a wire were loose.

But sure check the black connector's terminations as well, if the above shows no issues.

fwiw, I'm starting to dislike lead-free solder a lot when applied by hand rather than wave machine. It's very hard to work with and requires extra effort to apply properly. Requires a different skill set.

Reactions: J R

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks