A question for the videographers here...

J R

Reaction score
May not be the appropriate place for this but I know there are some talented videographers here. I'm trying very hard to learn how to edit my videos. I'm not expecting to be an expert any time soon but would like to get a little better at it. I used Movie Maker, tried GoPro Studio, Cyberlink Power Producer and various others. It doesn't appear that the software has the expertise, apparently I have to learn it.

I've started trying to use Adobe Premiere Elements 13. I did a night video a few weeks ago and I'm trying to make it more presentable. Everything I've done so far, which isn't much, was done in Premiere. There is a lot of "noise" in the video and I believe it could probably look better. If anyone has any suggestions as to what I might want to try to make it more appealing, I'd love to hear from them. It was shot in 1080p 30fps which is also how I exported and uploaded it. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Jerry

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: PdxSteve
Regarding the noise:
You would need a plugin like Neat Video.
Neat Video - best noise reduction for digital video
Neat Video :: filtration examples

But Neat isn't free and it's not easy to use (at first). I think you can download a trial version, but it may limit you to a 30 seconds or something. Still, you can get a feel for it.

To be honest, I had to switch to YouTube and bump the resolution up to 720p (1080p was not an option) to see the noise. I think all the artifacts and blurring you get on YouTube kind of helps with noise.

Another thing that might help (but probably not) is if Premiere Elements allows you to blur the luma channel in the mid tones and highlights of this video. Maybe the blacks too.

Frankly I wouldn't worry about the noise though. It's really was not that bad on YouTube.

Regarding the video in general:
It's pretty damn cool. I really need to attempt some night video at some point.

My recommendation would be to cut it down to 15 or 30 seconds. I know that sounds super short, but in my opinion (and it's just an opinion), a lot of drone videos these days are just too long.

And I definitely want to see a section of it where you speed it up. I think it would add some interest if the drone is floating down the street, and then zips forward (or backwards) at something like 3 or 4 thousand percent (yeah, really fast). That equates to 30 or 40 times normal speed. The other nice thing about speeding it up is that helps you shorten the overall video length without cutting footage.

If elements has a motion blur effect, you could try that. It might result in a very cool effect if you do speed up sections... and it might help with the noise.

Last thing is I might try tweaking the color balance in the lighter areas. You'd have to see how it looks, but I might try shifting it to a cooler (more blue) temperature.

Can't think of anything else at the moment, but I hope that gives you some ideas.

Can't think of anything else at the moment, but I hope that gives you some ideas.

Thank you very much, Erik! That was a very thoughtful and helpful reply! Lot's to digest with my limited photo/video knowledge but it certainly gives me something to start working on. I had absolutely no idea the amount of work you guys put into making these videos! I've got a great deal to learn. Thanks again.

Jerry

Don't forget that the current rules unfortunately prohibit flying at night...

Really neat video, though.

Don't forget that the current rules unfortunately prohibit flying at night...

Really neat video, though.

Acro,

I was unaware that flying at night was prohibited. Where can I find that rule? I happened to fly right by the police officer as he was going to his car. I even saw him look up at the bird. Glad I didn't get in any trouble.

Jerry

Well, now I can't find it anywhere! Please somebody else back me up on this! I'm almost certain the Knowbeforeyoufly.org site among others had a daylight hour limitation - I'm quite sure I saw it in several places. Maybe it was retracted. Does anybody else remember seeing that restriction?

That is very very nice JR! Were I to try filming my own little village like that the National Guard would arrive within forty-five seconds.
I don't recall reading anyhere that night flying was prohibited or illegal, just advised against.

Reactions: J R
That is very very nice JR! Were I to try filming my own little village like that the National Guard would arrive within forty-five seconds.
I don't recall reading anyhere that night flying was prohibited or illegal, just advised against.
Ditto, JR! Also, there is no prohibition on flying drones at night. I fly my Syma frequently at night but it is WELL illuminated!

May not be the appropriate place for this but I know there are some talented videographers here. I'm trying very hard to learn how to edit my videos. I'm not expecting to be an expert any time soon but would like to get a little better at it. I used Movie Maker, tried GoPro Studio, Cyberlink Power Producer and various others. It doesn't appear that the software has the expertise, apparently I have to learn it.

I've started trying to use Adobe Premiere Elements 13. I did a night video a few weeks ago and I'm trying to make it more presentable. Everything I've done so far, which isn't much, was done in Premiere. There is a lot of "noise" in the video and I believe it could probably look better. If anyone has any suggestions as to what I might want to try to make it more appealing, I'd love to hear from them. It was shot in 1080p 30fps which is also how I exported and uploaded it. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Jerry

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
JR- is that a real town? Where were the people?:D
I agree with Erik about speeding things up and shortening it overall.
My biggest complaint in general with drone videos is they move too slowly and they're too long= boring!!

I too discovered that editing is an art- learned through experience.
I watch lots of YouTube videos on editing. I also watch a variety of videos and copy things I like- if I see a transition or a cool point of view I make note of it and try to incorporate it in my videos.

I would like to see more "action" in drone videos. You know, think "Bond, James Bond"! Solo flys so make it move!! Too many videos are full of "putt-putt" footage of the drone flying forward at 2 MPH.

Ok, I'll get off my soap box.:confused:

Well, now I can't find it anywhere! Please somebody else back me up on this! I'm almost certain the Knowbeforeyoufly.org site among others had a daylight hour limitation - I'm quite sure I saw it in several places. Maybe it was retracted. Does anybody else remember seeing that restriction?

I just stumbled across this. It's in the new FAA regulations. 4th or 5th bullet point down.

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/rulemaking/media/021515_sUAS_Summary.pdf

Neat video is great I've used it for years now and then. With the GoPro though set a maximum ISO to stop the GoPro adding too much noise to the video to begin with.

Reactions: Maddog and J R
try bumping ev comp up one notch but leave ISO at 400
also shoot a slower frame rates for night, 30 or 24 that = shower shutter speeds = longer exposure per frame. and old scuba diving at depth trick.

Also go back to that video and play with white balance a bit, try to move that yellow light cast closer to blue white

Also go back to that video and play with white balance a bit, try to move that yellow light cast closer to blue white

Pyrate,

I'll take a look at those settings, thank you. I did slow it down to 30fps but didn't do the other things you suggested. I'll give it a try next time I get some play around time. Thanks again for the input.

Jerry

That actually looks really good for a gopro at night, imo.
I just stumbled across this. It's in the new FAA regulations. 4th or 5th bullet point down.

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/rulemaking/media/021515_sUAS_Summary.pdf
Interesting, it also states
Maximum altitude of 500 feet above ground level.

But...it does say "proposal", so I take it this isn't "final"
The following provisions are being proposed in the FAA’s Small UAS NPRM.

Acro,

I was unaware that flying at night was prohibited. Where can I find that rule? I happened to fly right by the police officer as he was going to his car. I even saw him look up at the bird. Glad I didn't get in any trouble.

Jerry

Visual line of sight required ...

Something we are going have to consider once registration goes into effect is accountably is going way up. Pilots will be subject to civil liability in the event of a crash resulting in damage or injury. Consider a judge asking you "how did you maintain visual line of sight?" ... then consider flight conditions: Dark, altitude 100 feet, distance from aircraft 400 feet and flying over public streets. FYI - we are not supposed to be flying over populated/public areas. Your flight was over a public street, in the dark, and over people - car traveling on roadway.

The question here is "How far can you see?" ... really see? At a distance 300 feet I do not believe anyone can claim they have visual line of sight and able to determine orientation without referencing video feed. We've got people here flying thousands of feet out in urban areas.

I'm not trying to be a pain here but these videos are going to be used as evidence in the future.

Squirrel,

I hear what you're saying and my flying days may very well be over soon when the government and anyone else who chooses to view one of my videos decides for me what is safe. If you view any of my other videos you'll see that I never fly over people. I usually stay in very rural areas and preplan 95% of my flights. I consider myself an extremely safe pilot. I am not in this for profit, it's just a hobby for me.

The reason I did this flight at 10:00 pm on a Monday night was to be as safe as possible. I had visual on the bird for 95% of the flight, literally. The only time I lost sight was when turning around which was a bit concerning. It was an extremely clear and crisp night with the altitude between 120' and 150'. The lower level shots were at 40' over a few blocks.

I won't make excuses for losing visual or for the very few cars that passed below but we're really pushing things if anyone considers this flight as careless, wreckless or dangerous.

I got into this stuff a year and a half ago knowing that the government would end up taking control of it. When the enjoyment is gone and I'm lumped in with the countless idiots out there doing the very stupid things that we all see them doing every day, I'll just give it up. I didn't get into this to be told how responsible I must be according to anyone that chooses to voice an opinion.

Just my two cents, of course.

Jerry

Something we are going have to consider once registration goes into effect is accountably is going way up. Pilots will be subject to civil liability in the event of a crash resulting in damage or injury. Consider a judge asking you "how did you maintain visual line of sight?" ... then consider flight conditions: Dark, altitude 100 feet, distance from aircraft 400 feet and flying over public streets. FYI - we are not supposed to be flying over populated/public areas. Your flight was over a public street, in the dark, and over people - car traveling on roadway.

The question here is "How far can you see?" ... really see? At a distance 300 feet I do not believe anyone can claim they have visual line of sight and able to determine orientation without referencing video feed. We've got people here flying thousands of feet out in urban areas.

I'm not trying to be a pain here but these videos are going to be used as evidence in the future.

I'm not trying to be a pain here but these videos are going to be used as evidence in the future
I gotta disagree with this statement.. I was a police detective for 30 years and was in court hundreds of times.
None of these videos would ever make it into court- for one thing the government can't prove who took them. Your claim/statement on the internet that you took it isn't sufficient evidence by itself.

I'm not trying to be a pain here but these videos are going to be used as evidence in the future
I gotta disagree with this statement.. I was a police detective for 30 years and was in court hundreds of times.
None of these videos would ever make it into court- for one thing the government can't prove who took them. Your claim/statement on the internet that you took it isn't sufficient evidence by itself.

I won't argue law as I am not an attorney or s detective ... The FAA wrote: "Federal Violation", "fines" to the tune of 5 digits and "imprisonment" ... I'm just hoping to be helpful.

These drones are capable of self reporting ... I'm not saying it will happen, but I think the technology is there to allow it to happen.

I know when a civilian pilot does something stupid,someone from the FAA always seems to find the airplane and the pilot. I've heard stories of pilots getting busted for failure to maintain an assigned altitude.

Registration is here, licensing is coming and enforcement is soon to folllow.

Squirrel,

I hear what you're saying and my flying days may very well be over soon when the government and anyone else who chooses to view one of my videos decides for me what is safe. If you view any of my other videos you'll see that I never fly over people. I usually stay in very rural areas and preplan 95% of my flights. I consider myself an extremely safe pilot. I am not in this for profit, it's just a hobby for me.

The reason I did this flight at 10:00 pm on a Monday night was to be as safe as possible. I had visual on the bird for 95% of the flight, literally. The only time I lost sight was when turning around which was a bit concerning. It was an extremely clear and crisp night with the altitude between 120' and 150'. The lower level shots were at 40' over a few blocks.

I won't make excuses for losing visual or for the very few cars that passed below but we're really pushing things if anyone considers this flight as careless, wreckless or dangerous.

I got into this stuff a year and a half ago knowing that the government would end up taking control of it. When the enjoyment is gone and I'm lumped in with the countless idiots out there doing the very stupid things that we all see them doing every day, I'll just give it up. I didn't get into this to be told how responsible I must be according to anyone that chooses to voice an opinion.

Just my two cents, of course.

Jerry

Jerry ... Not judging here. I think the video is very cool. I'm paying close attention to what the FAA is saying and I just don't want to se any of my people get collected ...

Call me a worrywart but the FAA seems to be really focused ... I remember when the Super Speeder law was new and people were getting ticketed left and right.

Please do not mistake my post for anything other than concern ... I'm skeard :oops:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apicasso