3DR Solo with Canon S110

How do I best connect or configure a Canon S110 camera with a 3DR Solo for aerial survey work?

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Dislike

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
I am thinking of using a Canon S110 for aerial surveys using a 3DR Solo.
How do I best connect or configure the canon S110 camera to a Solo for aerial survey work?

Although I currently use a GoPro camera with Mission Planner and Tower software,
I am eager to test the Canon S110, but do not have any idea how to activate the camera shots.
I have S110 camera mounts for the Solo, and I have canon trigger - shutter cables.
Any help is appreciated.

Reactions: Jonathan Miranda
I use mount from IMP Concepts for my S100. I actually set it up to carry 2 S100s. There is a post here somewhere about trying into Pixhawk, but I just set my S100 to run intervolometer script.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Yes, me too. I also use a mount from IMP (generated by 3D printing?),
and run a kap & uav CHDK script on my Canon s110. This works well.
However, I was hoping for a automated trigger switch as used by the GoPro.
As for volumetric surveying (volume calculation of stockpiles using Agisoft), I think my GoPro does a better a job.
But the Canon s110 (at same altitude & light) has much better image quality (pixel & colour)
than the Hero 4 Silver GoPro, for which I use the Canon s110 for aerial photography.

Reactions: Perry Lawrence
Yes, me too. I also use a mount from IMP (generated by 3D printing?),
and run a kap & uav CHDK script on my Canon s110. This works well.
However, I was hoping for a automated trigger switch as used by the GoPro.
As for volumetric surveying (volume calculation of stockpiles using Agisoft), I think my GoPro does a better a job.
But the Canon s110 (at same altitude & light) has much better image quality (pixel & colour)
than the Hero 4 Silver GoPro, for which I use the Canon s110 for aerial photography.

Jonty,

I'd love to see comparison photos. Could you post a couple? I often think of flying some other camera besides a GoPro.

Thanks...

--

Bill

Look at the tutorial on the MAPIR site for triggering the survey2 camera. I would guess (and yes, I did say guess) that the trigger mechanism is the same. Both use a USB trigger signal. MAPIR has tapped into the pixhawk flight controller on the solo itself to trigger. I've done aerial topography with both the GoPro4 Silver (SOLO) and the Canon s110 (CHDK) on the x8 platform. So far, the canon S110 has beat the GoPro without an issue. Vertical accuracies of 2-5cm at 70m flight over a 30 acre site with GCPs.

Reactions: nexxypoo
Jonty , did you find solution to trig your s110 ? I try like mapir solution but it doesnt work usb cable red on pin19 and black on gnd3 , i check i have 0.6v at 1000pwm and 0.9v at 2000pwm Rch7 shutter and i try whith 20000pwm i have 3.3v .ok i think i need spakfun converter to put 5v because pixhawk of solo on pin 19 is 3.3v ? Sorry for my english i am french and i dont understand why it doesnt work and why i need 20000pwm to have 3.3v ? May be have you some advises thanks

I have conducted a direct aerial orthomosaic comparison between the GoPro Hero 4 Silver and the Canon s110 Powershot. Both cameras develop 12 Megapixel photos. The Canon s110 has a standard lens while the GoPro has a fisheye (wide view) lens.

Aim:
Determine which camera is best for aerial orthomosaic generation.

Method:
Compare orthomosaic imagery from two separate cameras having undergone identical process methodology.

Process methodology included
a) Flying two separate aerial surveys at identical height (80 m) and light conditions (overcast +- Noon), each using different camera for photo generation. Despite each having different focal length, each survey allowed for 70% image overlap.
b) Generation of separate orthomosaics using identical processing parameters by Agisoft Professional software.

Comparison Results:
Canon s110:
Advantage: Imagery is of higher resolution and displays colours more vividly (colour contrast is more apparent).
Disadvantage: Orthomosaic distortion and image alignment becomes exponentially more distorted as distance increases away from vertical position of the survey. All orthomosaic area directly outside survey boundary should be ignored (deleted).

GoPro Hero 4 Silver:
Advantage: Orthomosaic distortion and image alignment far outside the survey area retains moderate accuracy.
Area of accurate orthomosaic is significantly larger (+- double area). Better option when conducting 3D volumetric analysis.
m3iortnv9

Disadvantage: Imagery is of lower resolution and displays colours less vividly (colour contrast is less apparent).

Results:
My suggestions for developing orthomosaics:
Use the Canon s110 only if your drone can cover the entire survey area with greater 70% photo overlap. All area beyond the vertical survey box should be ignored (not trusted).
Use the GoPro Hero4 only if your drone will have problems covering the full survey area. Area beyond the vertical survey box can be trusted with moderate accuracy.
4vcpgv8at

Attachments

• Canon s110.jpg
    Canon s110.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 38
  • GoPro Hero4 Silver.jpg
    GoPro Hero4 Silver.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 37
Reactions: Icehawk255

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics