3DR Solo vs Mavic Air, do you agree?

While I do agree that Solo has increased knowledge in the DIY community...I do not agree that this is a good thing in drone. It's like being happy that a new car has problems, because it affords me the opportunity to learn how to work on cars.
But don't forget, the whole point of the solo was that it was supposed to be an open source upgradable drone when it first came out. It was the drone that people were going to make parts for, people would be able to update and the drone would just get better and better. In that regard it lived up to it's promise, only without the support of 3DR.

I have a Solo and a Mavic. I like the Mavic better. Not nearly as glitchy, more compact, longer flight time, more range, quieter, etc.

Reactions: IrishmanPDX
Good video Peter. I use my Mavic Pro for photo and video as well as fun flying.
Solo is for tinkering and for developing new ideas. I love both drones.

Unmatched for me is to fly the Mavic with the DJI Goggles. The immersive experience and the ultra sharp image quality is stunning.

Reactions: TheBasicPilot
For me, Cable Cam makes all the difference. To be able to program really complex moves and fly the path flawlessly is just superb. On the downdide...while Solo works every time at home, when in the field, on a paying job, I usually have to boot numerous times before I am good to go.

While I do agree that Solo has increased knowledge in the DIY community...I do not agree that this is a good thing in drone. It's like being happy that a new car has problems, because it affords me the opportunity to learn how to work on cars.

Good luck, bro! This is a fight I had with these guys a year ago. The idea that the Solo was better than any other drone because you had to modify it to get it to work properly is one that these guys have embraced as doctrine.

Modify the camera to eliminate fish eye.
Modify the GPS so it actually works.
Modify the antenna so it gets decent range.
Buy a different app that works.
Buy multiple units so you always have one that works, tinker, tinker, tinker.

I've pointed out that you can buy a dyi kit with better components to begin with.
Nope, Solo is better.
I pointed out that you can buy a complete drone, like a P4P, that costs close to the same after all of the mods and would still have a much better camera, range, etc.
Nope, Solo has one smart shot that DJI can't do!
Solo tends to have props in the shot.
I like props in my shots.
Solo tends to have a leg get in the shot.
I like that it adds character to my videos and allows me to work on my editing skills.
Even after mods, the range isn't very good.
I don't need to fly far away.
No obstacle avoidance.
Don't need it.
Short flight time.
I don't need a longer flight time.
The Solo is loud.
Helps me locate it in the sky.
It's heavy.
Helps it fight the wind and affords me the opportunity to work on my core strength.
It's not very portable.
Makes it harder to steal.

Is like trying to have an honest conversation with Harley guys about motorcycles! Hahaha!

Nice video but I mostly want to know how you got usable voice over sound on the indoor flying shot. Did you dub your voice in later?
This is how I do that.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: DJMc
WOW. Thanks for putting together a grand comparison. I also own both and could not agree more with your conclusions.
I can't thank the solo family enough for the help they gave and continue to provide. That said, I am not throwing my solo drones away but i will sell or give numerous parts, gimbals ,etc to others who need them.
Solo will stay with me, because I nursed them and cussed them and loved to fly them. But bottom line is that Mavic air is just so easy to fly and film with. I can throwing every thing I need in a sports car versus the SUV I need for Solo.

Well just let us know when you get tired of moving Solo around- I know it takes up a considerable amount of space that I’m sure you can find other uses for- I’m always in search of a poor orphan Solo.... with it’s baby brother, Gimbal. I can let the boys roam the farm, plenty of room to play without irritating the neighbors and kinfolk.

Reactions: Saijin_Naib
Well just let us know when you get tired of moving Solo around- I know it takes up a considerable amount of space that I’m sure you can find other uses for- I’m always in search of a poor orphan Solo.... with it’s baby brother, Gimbal. I can let the boys roam the farm, plenty of room to play without irritating the neighbors and kinfolk.
Warrior, you be my first contact. Brother in Arms get priorty. Ill put together a list in a week or so. Ref to this post if I miss you.

One issue blows your argument away for me, DJI sucks so bad at high speed tracking making them useless.

Try a Parrot Anafi in your next comparison, 320 grams, zoom, look up ability, 27 minute flight time....

Most of this was shot with a 3 year old worn out Solo, Air wouldn't have a chance.

No thanks DJI; however...DJI is releasing Active Track 2 which points to AT1's dangerous and substandard behavior.

Reactions: jimloss
Thomsonnjf-
I’ll treat your children as if they were my own; I’ll run over IKEA and pick them up a nice bunk bed.

Vegasrobbi, I'm very very tempted by the Anafi. It gives me tiny Solo vibes for some reason. I'm really impressed with everything I've seen from/about it, and it ticks some really great boxes. If only it could get cross-flashed to vanilla Arducopter like the Bebop2...

Do you like your Anafi?

Vegasrobbi, I'm very very tempted by the Anafi. It gives me tiny Solo vibes for some reason. I'm really impressed with everything I've seen from/about it, and it ticks some really great boxes. If only it could get cross-flashed to vanilla Arducopter like the Bebop2...

Do you like your Anafi?

Anafi has become my go to drone, it has seriously impressed me.

Not since Solo have I had this feeling. My H is still the best high speed drone but for about everything else Anafi fits the bill.

At 320 grams Anafi is by far my most portable drone. But don't let its size fool you it performs with the big drones. No OA but I don't want it.

Anafi is what I have been waiting for. My P3P was a solid performer but DJI clustered the GO app, plus no dynamic altitude. My P4 is great hardware but useless with GO4, as is my Mavic Pro, all disapointments..

Anafi exceeds expectations.

Reactions: Saijin_Naib
Anafi has become my go to drone, it has seriously impressed me.

Not since Solo have I had this feeling. My H is still the best high speed drone but for about everything else Anafi fits the bill.

At 320 grams Anafi is by far my most portable drone. But don't let its size fool you it performs with the big drones. No OA but I don't want it.

Anafi is what I have been waiting for. My P3P was a solid performer but DJI clustered the GO app, plus no dynamic altitude. My P4 is great hardware but useless with GO4, as is my Mavic Pro, all disapointments..

Anafi exceeds expectations.

What always interests me is when any piece of equipment is deemed "useless" because it doesn't perform one feature, while a similar piece of equipment, lacking several features of the first, is considered superior. I've seen comparisons where the Anafi won't elevation change during tracking unless you have the remote Great if you're in a jeep tracking yourself. Not so great if you're trying to track someone else. Not to mention that tracking in the desert without obstical avoidance is one thing, trying that where there's LIFE is quite another.

So while the Anafi or Solo is absolutely perfect for tracking jeeps in the desert, they would be pretty hard pressed to follow me down a wooded trail on a bike like my MP does. Plus they are almost worthless for tracking 3rd parties in my opinion. Let's not forget that you can initiate tracking on the MA using hand gestures and that it is capable of tracking several different subjects at once. I don't own a jeep and I won't mind if I never see another desert after serving in the Middle East for 3 tours so yea ...

Last edited:
In my video above Anafi is not using a controller the review is in error. If you want reliable tracking down a wooded trail get a Skydio R1. My perspective is from high speed vehicle travel, you must have missed the part praising Mavic for low speed tracking with OA.

In addition Anafi uses VPS to control minimum altitude during Active track like DJI. This is why I chose to do these videos the technology is misunderstood and driven by myth. I've watched the Captain's videos since the beginning he still has some learning to do like many of us.

Last edited:
Reactions: RichWest
In my video above Anafi is not using a controller the review is in error. If you want reliable tracking down a wooded trail get a Skydio R1. My perspective is from high speed vehicle travel, you must have missed the part praising Mavic for low speed tracking with OA.

In addition Anafi uses VPS to control minimum altitude during Active track like DJI. This is why I chose to do these videos the technology is misunderstood and driven by myth. I've watched the Captain's videos since the beginning he still has some learning to do like many of us.

Yea but he's not just saying that, the damn thing wouldn't track. It stopped at the controller but continued looking at him.

I didn't miss the part where you called AT1 DANGEROUS AND SUBSTANDARD! Hardly praise. Skydio? I'm not stupid enough to buy a $2000+ drone for 1 feature or use case. I like my drone to be good in several situations and scenarios, reliable, portable and worry free.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela