3dr Solo Footage from Bigbear

Joined
Jan 19, 2016
Messages
5
Reaction score
2
Age
29
Hey Guys,


I took the Solo to Big Bear this past weekend and decided to make some short clips for IG (@dronehighlife).


Still learning and getting better at flying and editing.

Uploaded the videos to Youtube.


Recorded on
Gopro 4 - Black
Recorded: 1080p 120 Frames
Exported to 1080p at 60 Frames

Tips and tricks would greatly be appreciated. Feedback would be great!

 
Joined
Sep 3, 2015
Messages
592
Reaction score
435
Age
57
Since you shot at 120fps, I'd recommend slowing it down in post. Failing that/along with that, slow down your vehicle. That's beautiful scenery and slowing it down will give the eye a chance to take it all in.
You might consider an ND filter. There are a few companies that make them for GoPro, some advertise here.
If you're not slowing the footage in post, then I'd suggest you shoot at p30. the footage will be better lit, less "crunchy" and you can enjoy an overall better frame. Especially if you use an ND filter.
Edits: make your cuts after the camera movement has started so that the initial movement/jerky portions aren't part of your edit. The same goes for the out point; cut before the camera movement "jumps" or stops.

Love Big Bear, was just recently there staying at the Apple BnB. :)
 
  • Like
Reactions: haboc
Joined
Jul 5, 2015
Messages
143
Reaction score
54
Age
67
Website
www.middlehouse.com
Hey Guys,


I took the Solo to Big Bear this past weekend and decided to make some short clips for IG (@dronehighlife).


Still learning and getting better at flying and editing.

Uploaded the videos to Youtube.


Recorded on
Gopro 4 - Black
Recorded: 1080p 120 Frames
Exported to 1080p at 60 Frames

Tips and tricks would greatly be appreciated. Feedback would be great!

dude...

I Know nothing of filters or frame rates... really.

but the music and the short, to the point teaser's shine in a sea of boring solo shots...

I can't cut anything I like..

welcome, and keep it coming!
 
Joined
Sep 3, 2015
Messages
592
Reaction score
435
Age
57
dude...

I Know nothing of filters or frame rates... really.

but the music and the short, to the point teaser's shine in a sea of boring solo shots...

I can't cut anything I like..

welcome, and keep it coming!
This is where you get to be a pretend scientist.

Experiment!:) That's the fun of doing things er....for fun? A little experimentation and you'll quickly know a lot more.
shoot some content with and without the ND/Neutral Density filter. If you're over *anything* on a remotely sunny or bright overcast day, you'll like it.
Change your framerate in the camera, experiment with that, too.
 
Joined
Jul 5, 2015
Messages
143
Reaction score
54
Age
67
Website
www.middlehouse.com
This is where you get to be a pretend scientist.

Experiment!:) That's the fun of doing things er....for fun? A little experimentation and you'll quickly know a lot more.
shoot some content with and without the ND/Neutral Density filter. If you're over *anything* on a remotely sunny or bright overcast day, you'll like it.
Change your framerate in the camera, experiment with that, too.
yep, I'm sure you're right.. and I'm sure among-st all my fellow geeks I'll get blowback, Just in my mind color correction, filters, frame rates even higher resolution amounts to 10%. Being on the production side of things since 1978 I find the talent / creative part to be 90%. I had a Red camera on order when they 1st came out. Then I saw my 11yr old cut something on an iPhone..

I leave the gear choice to Cameron / Lucas ental.. , If I ever get that 90% (doubtful) I'll think of something other than software to help the other 10%..

Meanwhile the stock hero4 BLOWS AWAY my RCA green blur from 1982...

These shorts caught my eye 'cause it shows talent. the Music, Location.. and yep, Cut ----- the part I struggle with.
Creative talent. Like this guy... he calls this "test footage" I call it genius...

But, yea, wingman you're right, I just think no one cares as much about it as we do....
 
Joined
Jun 4, 2015
Messages
2,911
Reaction score
1,698
Age
63
yep, I'm sure you're right.. and I'm sure among-st all my fellow geeks I'll get blowback, Just in my mind color correction, filters, frame rates even higher resolution amounts to 10%. Being on the production side of things since 1978 I find the talent / creative part to be 90%. I had a Red camera on order when they 1st came out. Then I saw my 11yr old cut something on an iPhone..

I leave the gear choice to Cameron / Lucas ental.. , If I ever get that 90% (doubtful) I'll think of something other than software to help the other 10%..

Meanwhile the stock hero4 BLOWS AWAY my RCA green blur from 1982...

These shorts caught my eye 'cause it shows talent. the Music, Location.. and yep, Cut ----- the part I struggle with.
Creative talent. Like this guy... he calls this "test footage" I call it genius...

But, yea, wingman you're right, I just think no one cares as much about it as we do....
Rik, I'm so glad you found this video again. I remember talking about it back in September when it came out and I had almost forgot about it. But still to this day, one of the more beautiful edits and low level flights from a Solo. Another great example of what a Solo and some great editing can achieve. It's 5 months old and before latest updates, but still used no post stabilization.
 
  • Like
Reactions: RikMiddle
Joined
Jul 5, 2015
Messages
143
Reaction score
54
Age
67
Website
www.middlehouse.com
Rik, I'm so glad you found this video again. I remember talking about it back in September when it came out and I had almost forgot about it. But still to this day, one of the more beautiful edits and low level flights from a Solo. Another great example of what a Solo and some great editing can achieve. It's 5 months old and before latest updates, but still used no post stabilization.
Kills me, a guy gets a new gizmo (like you say BEFORE the updates and before many had an actual Gimbal) goes out with his daughter for the afternoon and hrs later THIS?

made me want to give up. Like you mention, Cable cam and Orbit @ such a low altitude, under the tree down the dock...
how come he did'nt lose GPS and have it take off sideways?

Song by a married couple is perfect right down to the little "skip" by the girl jumping the branch on the dock @ the piano blurb..
Always wondered how he got the duck to sit there posing in the water near the dock with the props buzzing at such a low altitude.. no ripples really in the water...

then my son pointed out it was a decoy...:confused:
 
Joined
Jan 19, 2016
Messages
5
Reaction score
2
Age
29
Since you shot at 120fps, I'd recommend slowing it down in post. Failing that/along with that, slow down your vehicle. That's beautiful scenery and slowing it down will give the eye a chance to take it all in.
You might consider an ND filter. There are a few companies that make them for GoPro, some advertise here.
If you're not slowing the footage in post, then I'd suggest you shoot at p30. the footage will be better lit, less "crunchy" and you can enjoy an overall better frame. Especially if you use an ND filter.
Edits: make your cuts after the camera movement has started so that the initial movement/jerky portions aren't part of your edit. The same goes for the out point; cut before the camera movement "jumps" or stops.

Love Big Bear, was just recently there staying at the Apple BnB. :)
Thanks for the tips Rik!
 
Joined
Jan 19, 2016
Messages
5
Reaction score
2
Age
29
Definetly going to look up filters! I'm going on some hikes around LA this weekend to get some more shorts and edit them. I'll post some stuff up again by sunday night!

By the way any stores local to Los Angeles that i can pick up an ND filter? Will check the search now too.

Thanks guys!
 
Joined
Sep 3, 2015
Messages
592
Reaction score
435
Age
57
Definetly going to look up filters! I'm going on some hikes around LA this weekend to get some more shorts and edit them. I'll post some stuff up again by sunday night!

By the way any stores local to Los Angeles that i can pick up an ND filter? Will check the search now too.

Thanks guys!
DronesPlus has them. It's not *just* getting a filter; you'll want one that works within balance of your Solo. The new PolarPro for example, are well balanced for the Solo, and there are others as well.
 

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
12,317
Messages
142,879
Members
14,339
Latest member
absoluted22