1st time I have been harassed- in Canada

Reaction score
yesterday, while trying to capture some footage of a local canal and lock system, I was approached by a summer student, who informed me I was not welcome. I was informed Parks Canada prohibits drone flight in their areas. She told me that drones sometimes hit people in the head.

I told her more people are hit in the head by softballs and we still play softball, but that was not going to pass. She demanded I leave immediately, which I did.

So, Canda is joining the USA.

Anyone want a Drone?

as far as I know parks Canada bans drone use in national parks, you could check there site to be sure. What canal system were you at?

Kingston Mills Locks, Kingston, Ontario. No one around for miles

A few points:
  • When it comes to public parks, it's best to check the rules first. If it's published as not allowed, you can make a judgement call. If there isn't a soul for miles and you're willing to accept the risk, and you're not interfering with wildlife, you can make that decision. If there are people around, it's best not to.

• If you're in a place that doesn't prohibit it, and you're not flying over/near/around other people, then that lady can pound sand. She is welcome to her opinion, she's welcome to not like it, but she has no right to demand you stop or leave. You have just as much right to be there as she does. I would politely inform her that she's mistaken about the rules, you're following the rules that do exist, and she'll have to agree to disagree.

• If there are lots of people around, even if it's legal to fly at the location, I wouldn't. I don't want to have to keep track of 50 people, running kids, and I really have no desire to annoy people. If I'm pissing a bunch of people off, I'm the rude one. If I'm pissing one cry baby off that was just looking for a reason to be offended, I could care less.

It looks like drone use is prohibited for the most part in national parks, Kingston mills is in a national historic site not a park. I would suggest if you want to go back just ask for the reference that says they are banned.

Reactions: sam
A few points:
  • When it comes to public parks, it's best to check the rules first. If it's published as not allowed, you can make a judgement call.
That is a little bothersome for me. I would have preferred; "If it's published as not allowed, don't push it. There is too much of that going on and we are trying to show we are responsible". Just because 'no one is around' does not mean that someone won't come around while you are flying. Like maybe someone that is responsible to enforce the rules? Or even just the fact that the park has rules we should follow.
Just my opinion...

I agree with you. I don't personally do it. But I figured so many people do, it's worth mentioning. If they're going to do it anyway, I might as well encourage them to be polite about it, and acknowledge the risk of doing so.

Reactions: Benzo
Parks Canada - Home

Parks Canada supports the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada (HSMBC) , the body which advises the Minister of Canadian Heritage on national historic significance. The agency is also responsible for protecting and operating over 140 national historic sites across the country for visitors to understand, appreciate, and enjoy.

FWIW, in the USA, National Parks, Monuments and Sites fall under the same rules...as well.

Afaik, it is not allowed to pilot drones in Canadian national parks as a rule if thumb. I read this somewhere on the Canadian government's web portal. Its too bad really. There are many beautiful places to shoot within the national parks of course. Just my 2 cents.

It looks like drone use is prohibited for the most part in national parks, Kingston mills is in a national historic site not a park. I would suggest if you want to go back just ask for the reference that says they are banned.

They have a Parks Canada sign, and they handed me a nice piece of paper telling me I needed to be 150 meters away from people, buildings, and not allowed near their locks.

Last edited:
Thats too bad, I'm heading to Jasper in a couple weeks and can't fly anywhere within the park either. Luckily I know a spot about 10km from the park entrance where i can stop and get some shots from a distance.

I'd fly in that park in the golden hours. Don't make it so obvious like parking on the side of the road, but pick a lake and mountain and get your shots.

There is no sign, so it's easier to be forgiven than to get permission

I'd fly in that park in the golden hours. Don't make it so obvious like parking on the side of the road, but pick a lake and mountain and get your shots.

There is no sign, so it's easier to be forgiven than to get permission
I would but I'd rather not be "that guy" that was caught. I will get some shots outside the park and not have to worry about it.

Reactions: Jubalr
Seriously, it's a huge HUGE park. You won't get caught unless you are asking for it. Prepare your Solo before hitting your site. Launch as soon as you can when you get there. Sit on your bumper when you fly.

This will work

Seriously, it's a huge HUGE park. You won't get caught unless you are asking for it. Prepare your Solo before hitting your site. Launch as soon as you can when you get there. Sit on your bumper when you fly.

This will work
Encouraging someone to break rules/laws because your opinion is he "won't get caught unless you are asking for it" is not what most of us here would endorse.

Reactions: dirkclod

This will work
As big as the park is I'm not going to take a chance, as easy as it is for me to drive to a spot, launch and sit on the bumper all it takes is 1 person to drive up see it and report it.
Its getting hard enough to find places to fly already I'm not going to take a chance and give the government another reason to regulate us more.

Reactions: Jubalr

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44