11" Props on stock Solo motors

Maybe you can hear Solo at the end of this video, it's about as quiet as my H. The 11" props do great at altitude.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hey sorry for the necropost guys but now that I have my solo back after over a month long RMA I have one last question. How did you secure the nut inside of the prop hub? was it just glue or some special adhesive?

was it just glue or some special adhesive?
I used super glue on the outer edge of the nut's flats towards the blades, just a drop on each side (nut side) is enough. It will help if you do this while the prop is mounted to the motor, as it will help center and compress the nut into the prop....while the glue sets.

Reactions: Solo Keith
I used super glue on the outer edge of the nut's flats towards the blades, just a drop on each side (nut side) is enough. It will help if you do this while the prop is mounted to the motor, as it will help center and compress the nut into the prop....while the glue sets.
Ok perfect thank you. Was there any special type of super glue or special brand?

Any RC hobby shop will have CA glue for a variety of application, key to that is that will be more likely compatible with various plastics.

Again the glue is just to retain the nut to the prop, so very little is required due to the already tight fit.

Bob Smith 106 InstaCure is what I used. Sets really well.
That's the brand I'm using, but it's appears as private labeled where I bought mine from....but I'm using the slow cure version.

Last edited:
Bob Smith 106 InstaCure is what I used. Sets really well. Amazon

Wow that brings back memories. My first job in the 70's was at Smith Brother's Hobby Center in LA. I worked closely with Chuck Smith and he was about the best modeler around, I learned a lot from them.

Anyway I'm still flying with the 11" props, good idea to CA the nuts on, I dropped them a few times. Funny with the APC 10" props the nuts are securely wedged in there. I have found the 11" props work great at high altitude where I fly at 8-9,000 feet. I have a flight or two on the 10" APC props but not enough time to judge them yet.

My mistake You are right. You had to keep in mind with or with out thread.
I tried these 11x4,5 props ; they are just wunderbar!
Flew 10 batteries, and I got one more minute flight time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I reamed and glued much as Rich described. This past week I had a chance to fly at over 12,000' ASL. The Solo was more stable than with the stock props. The thin cool air allowed the motors to stay within an acceptable range compared to when I tested at 85 degrees at 600' ASL.

Reactions: Shlazor
Hi Greg, I'll be flying at 12,000 feet soon. Any advice from your experience you can share?

Start close in until you get a feel for how things are going. Expect flight times to be reduced around 25%. Of course avoid winds over 25 mph unless you fly upwind to help getting back.

I didn't experience any problems but there were no sustained winds over about 10 mph; a few gusts that messed with filming smoothly but they didn't upset the Solo.

Here are few short unstabilized clips, nothing exciting; more in the nature of testing thing out up there.

What's the general consensus here on using 11' props but with a lower pitch than 4.5. Like a 4 or even a 3.3?

What's the general consensus here on using 11' props but with a lower pitch than 4.5. Like a 4 or even a 3.3?

Be interesting to find out. I've only used the 4.5's and they are excellent. The motor's don't get hot even when Solo is working hard fighting the wind. No going back to 10" props.

Be interesting to find out. I've only used the 4.5's and they are excellent. The motor's don't get hot even when Solo is working hard fighting the wind. No going back to 10" props.
Which 11" props are you using @Vegasrobbi

I've only used the APC 11x4.5 MR props so far, I have about 100 flights on them. I would be interested in some 11" props that have a small stand built in like the original props do; or, I may just turn some out.

Last edited:
I've only used the APC 11x4.5 MR props so far, I have about 100 flights on them. I would be interested in some 11" props that have a small stand built in like the original props do; or, I may just turn some out.

Do you fly near sea level? I'm asking because I know 11' works well in high altitudes but am concerned about overloading the motors at lower altitudes.

I flew them at 2,000 feet last summer in Vegas, motor temps were fine but I never push it when near 100* out.

Reactions: annihil8ted
I installed 11" APC self-tightening props on my stock Solo motors. I'm looking for longer flight times and better efficiency without the hassle of changing motors.

Has anyone tried this? Any observations regarding flight times?

So I had to ream the prop hubs to fit the Solo motor shaft but it was easy. If it works out I'll turn some threaded aluminum bushings. I'm only grabbing a bit over 1/2 the threads on the nut but that should be fine for a couple test flights.

It's well over 100* here so I limited my first flight to 10 minutes. Immediately noticeable is Solo is quieter and feels more solid in the air. I think the gyro effect of the larger props have an affect on stability. Solo did not feel as zippy like when I was doing flips and such; however, it felt more stable and precise IMO. I cruised at about 15 mph and Solo was quiet and seemed to require less throttle to hold level.

I limited the flight to 10 minutes because I was concerned about motor temps, when I landed the motors were warm, not hot. In fact cooler than my P3 motors with 9" props so...

I'll take a couple of flights next week and report back, it may be a bust on efficiency but I do like the way it flies.

3893-9326a6542419a34df1b2c2468820e523.jpg
I ordered a set of four from ebay for $8 APC Props LP11045MR-B4 11x4.5 Multi Rotor Set (4) Are these th ones you are using?

Purchased a metric reamer and with a bit of twisting, voila, they fit down on the motor. But.......they don't allow (like nothing) the threaded shaft to protrude enough to catch threads on the nut. I can fit a 6mm nut but only about a 1/16 of a turn.

I am going to use an end mill to mill down the prop hub face. I should still have a good amount of material left to retain adequate strength. I will update when I get hobby time later in the beginning of the week.

Reactions: Coastwise
For Info:

Aeronaut

Cam-Carbon Light 10x4.5" M6 RH AN721420
Cam-Carbon Light 10x4.5" M6 LH AN721520

Cam-Carbon Light 10x5" M6 RH AN721421
Cam-Carbon Light 10x5" M6 LH AN721521

Cam-Carbon Light 11x4.5" M6 RH AN721427
Cam-Carbon Light 11x4.5" M6 LH AN721527

Cam-Carbon Light 11x5" M6 RH AN721428
Cam-Carbon Light 11x5" M6 LH AN721528

Cam-Carbon Light 12x4.5" M6 RH AN721433
Cam-Carbon Light 12x4.5" M6 LH AN721533

Cam-Carbon Light 12x5" M6 RH AN721434
Cam-Carbon Light 12x5" M6 LH AN721534

Ergebnis Ihrer Suche - Der Himmlische Höllein
Do these props fit without any modifications.
I have used CF props before but they are brittle, and as such will shatter with the least bit of impact. Addtionally, I found the CF props I was using on my 8" propped quad to be noisy.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc