11" Props on stock Solo motors

Reaction score
I installed 11" APC self-tightening props on my stock Solo motors. I'm looking for longer flight times and better efficiency without the hassle of changing motors.

Has anyone tried this? Any observations regarding flight times?

So I had to ream the prop hubs to fit the Solo motor shaft but it was easy. If it works out I'll turn some threaded aluminum bushings. I'm only grabbing a bit over 1/2 the threads on the nut but that should be fine for a couple test flights.

It's well over 100* here so I limited my first flight to 10 minutes. Immediately noticeable is Solo is quieter and feels more solid in the air. I think the gyro effect of the larger props have an affect on stability. Solo did not feel as zippy like when I was doing flips and such; however, it felt more stable and precise IMO. I cruised at about 15 mph and Solo was quiet and seemed to require less throttle to hold level.

I limited the flight to 10 minutes because I was concerned about motor temps, when I landed the motors were warm, not hot. In fact cooler than my P3 motors with 9" props so...

I'll take a couple of flights next week and report back, it may be a bust on efficiency but I do like the way it flies.

3893-9326a6542419a34df1b2c2468820e523.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Rycoh
some folks have tried it but gains are minimal if at all. You would have to slow the motors down I think to get gains.
try the 10 APC props they sound nice and are a little stiffer

Here's a post with data from some various props: Motors Swapped to T-Motor 2216-12 800kV

My years racing Quickie 500's showed me bench testing props does not tell the whole story. A Q500 prop would unload several thousand rpm when in the air and perform very differently than when strapped on a bench loaded down; for this reason we always tested props in the air.

I'll do some flight testing back to back with Solo props next week.

I installed 11" APC self-tightening props on my stock Solo motors. I'm looking for longer flight times and better efficiency without the hassle of changing motors.

Has anyone tried this? Any observations regarding flight times?

So I had to ream the prop hubs to fit the Solo motor shaft but it was easy. If it works out I'll turn some threaded aluminum bushings. I'm only grabbing a bit over 1/2 the threads on the nut but that should be fine for a couple test flights.

It's well over 100* here so I limited my first flight to 10 minutes. Immediately noticeable is Solo is quieter and feels more solid in the air. I think the gyro effect of the larger props have an affect on stability. Solo did not feel as zippy like when I was doing flips and such; however, it felt more stable and precise IMO. I cruised at about 15 mph and Solo was quiet and seemed to require less throttle to hold level.

I limited the flight to 10 minutes because I was concerned about motor temps, when I landed the motors were warm, not hot. In fact cooler than my P3 motors with 9" props so...

I'll take a couple of flights next week and report back, it may be a bust on efficiency but I do like the way it flies.

3893-9326a6542419a34df1b2c2468820e523.jpg
Hey Robbi, I'm running the APC 11x4.5 (ST) but on the T-motors 800kv. I like how quiet they are and the improved stability. Never did a comparison on flight times vs the stock props, I just like the feel of the 11s. However, I did do the 21min flight with them.

Hey Robbi, I'm running the APC 11x4.5 (ST) but on the T-motors 800kv. I like how quiet they are and the improved stability. Never did a comparison on flight times vs the stock props, I just like the feel of the 11s. However, I did do the 21min flight with them.

That's good to hear. 21 minutes is great, I wasn't getting that before I added the gimbal. I'm getting about 14 minutes now on stock props with the gimbal and GP rolling on a new battery. Even if flight times are not better I like the sound and the way it flies with these props assuming the motors will hold together.

That's good to hear. 21 minutes is great, I wasn't getting that before I added the gimbal. I'm getting about 14 minutes now on stock props with the gimbal and GP rolling on a new battery. Even if flight times are not better I like the sound and the way it flies with these props assuming the motors will hold together.
Agreed. That 21min flight was with no gimbal or GP drawing power/weight. Had a Mapir camera in the original fixed mount.

You might not see a (noticeable) difference in flight time at sea level, but the longer props can help fly at higher altitudes. So if your headed to the Alps or the Rockies anytime soon, they could be useful. At least that's been my experience.

where are you finding these props?
Similar mod on an Iris+
Did it to allow some high altitude flying. Expected it to help flight times at sea level, but the difference just wasn't noticeable. I'm sure it did, but the beta fell within normal variance you get from one flight to the next. But at 10,000 feet above sea level, it was very noticeable (difference between having to go full throttle just to lift off, and actually being able to fly a few minutes). I'd have to search through old DIYdrones.com posts, but there definetly a few guys who posted some detailed stats. If your really interested I can take a look.

You might not see a (noticeable) difference in flight time at sea level, but the longer props can help fly at higher altitudes. So if your headed to the Alps or the Rockies anytime soon, they could be useful. At least that's been my experience.

I'll be flying near Lee Canyon about 9,000 feet this week, I'll report back.

Props are the APC 11x4.5 MR ST props 6mm, I had to ream them a bit to fit.

Eager to hear your results, planning to try flying above 12k in Sept.

Pitch matters. Not just length. As I'm sure you know. Would be ideal to test a few different props.

Eager to hear your results, planning to try flying above 12k in Sept.
Careful. It might appear to be flying just fine, then once the battery drains to a certain level you will quite suddenly loose altitude and no matter how much thrust you apply it's going down.

it is always one prop.

AN721527 for left turning
AN721427 for right turning

The pro's are manufactured very accurate and well balanced

Last edited:
I ran a couple batteries through Solo today with the 11" props. It was near 100 degrees out so I went easy on it. My immediate observations:

Solo is quiet, with the 11" props Solo makes a pleasent woosh sound, not the typical aggressive crack sound. I could barley hear Solo 100 feet out, sounds similar to my H.

Solo is less responsive but more solid and precise. I noticed Solo moves more gracefully, less whipping around. Solo required less roll and pitch angle to go where I wanted, this resulted in less gimbal movement to stabilize the camera.

I got 16 minute flights with gimbal installed and GP rolloing; this is about 2 minutes more than I usually get. To be fair I was cruising slowly checking amp draw so more data is required.

Most effecient cruise speed was between 18-20 mph, amp draw dropped to about 13 amps. Turning or stopping increased amp draw to 18-19 amps.

I got more props in view, the APC props sit lower than the stock props. If I make some adapters I think I'll raise the props a bit to mimic the stock height.

More testing is required but I'm liking it so far. Solo seems more stable, flies longer and is quieter; felt like a larger machine. The motors were between warm and hot after the second flight, but not as hot when I flew ACRO.

My starting battery was 96% and I flew down to 16%. My Solo RTH's at 10% so I was conservative. The battery voltage seemed to drop more linear and did not dump at the end as I suspected. There may be another minute in there if I go down to 11%.

I was flying at 2,400 feet today at near 100*, I'll test at higher altitudes next.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela