Travel with Solo to Europe from US

From what I understand most airlines use the IATA dangerous goods guidelines which state a limit of 2 spare batteries in carry-on is applicable if each battery capacity is between 100 and 160 Wh. Below 100 Wh, there is no limit apart from normal carry-on weight and seize restrictions.

Solo being 70 WH, there is no limit on qty of batteries. Only terminals need to be taped/protected.

This is the case with Qantas, Emirates and British Airways at least per their website policies. Other airlines of course, may have their own policies that may be stricter.
I stand corrected. You are right about the rules not including the Solo battery for carry-ons. I think it does still include the "no spare batteries in checked luggage rule."

Have you found a LIPO bag that works well / fits the solo batteries? I did not realise that these were available... looking at them now on Amazon...
I have not. I just use an assortment of bags I've collected over the years. Also, I just gambled on the latest trip and didn't bag all the batteries on this latest trip (didn't have enough bags that fit). Was nervous it would be an issue going through security, but they didn't say a thing. They didn't even ask why some were in LiPo bags and some weren't.

Last edited:
I stand corrected. You are right about the rules not including the Solo battery for carry-ons. I think it does still include the "no spare batteries in checked luggage rule."
Yes, that's right, no spare batteries in checked luggage. Interestingly, I was recently on a domestic flight within Thailand and the boarding of the plane was delayed as the checked in luggage screening (prior to being loaded onto the plane) detected that a passenger had a powerbank in their checked in luggage. That person had to go remove from their checked in bag and take as carry-on.

Reactions: DattaGroover
Bags are nice but not required. correct? As I read it Batteries can't be lose in a bag with other batteries and the contacts must be protected. I'm flying out of Oakland to L.A. on Friday, then L.A. to Manzanillo, Mexico (ZLO) the next day. Planing on using a hard case for the solo slightly smaller the the GPC case (It would have worked on Alaskan but not South West) for carry on.

Bags are nice but not required. correct? As I read it Batteries can't be lose in a bag with other batteries and the contacts must be protected. I'm flying out of Oakland to L.A. on Friday, then L.A. to Manzanillo, Mexico (ZLO) the next day. Planing on using a hard case for the solo slightly smaller the the GPC case (It would have worked on Alaskan but not South West) for carry on.
Technically I believe a fire safe LiPo bag or battery box is required. Doesn't seem to be enforced much.

A little more information ...

Has anyone had dealings with TSA in regard to Solo, i.e.: carrying Solo onto a US commercial flight?

Has anyone had direct dealings with customs in either the US or in Europe?

Anyone here work for TSA or customs?

On my trip to St. Thomas USVI (flying out of BWI airport) after my 3DR Backpack went though the scanner, the TSA agent asked me if I could open the bag up as she was just curious what it physically looked like. Then it turned into questions about price.

On the way back from St. Thomas it was uneventful.

There is nothing illegal about carrying this on a plane as long as your follow the FAA requirements which someone already posted. If anyone is nervous about travelling with it print out the FAA Pack Safe article.

As indicated by the title, I am planning a trip to Europe. France and Italy will be the primary stops and I would like to bring Solo.

Anyone have any travel experiences they would like to share?

I recently traveled in a small private aircraft and stowed Solo in its backpack in the luggage compartment. The luggage compartment was not pressurized or climate controlled and Solo was ok. I am thinking bringing Solo as a carry on is a smarter idea for a commercial flight - thoughts either way?

Anyone have any experience flying in Italy? France?

I would like to avoid being arrested or causing a war ... Any specific no fly areas?

What kind of small private aircraft?

I didn't read the whole thread, so you might have gotten the answer you are looking for already. Anyhow, I am just going to share my experience...

I flew a couple of month ago from the US to Greece, through Chicago, Frankfurt and finally Greece. The Solo, and 4 extra batteries, were all in the case it comes in. No cardboard box. I had it on the plane with me, on all flights and never had a single issue!

KMD

I travelled with Solo + 2 batteries as carry on through France and Spain and had no issues. Wasn't asked, stopped, questioned, etc. not once through airport security. Unfortunately these countries have stricter controls on who can operate a drone in their airspace. When I initially set-off I had hoped to take some epic footage, only to find out, in most places, it would be illegal. Yes, you can play the "dumb tourist" card, "oh, i didn't know I couldn't do that here", but such a hassle to deal with, especially if you get fined (which you will at minimum) or worse.

I also learned that all the little apps and online "do not fly here" maps are better suited to FAA/US air space than the rest of the world. My Solo wound up unpacked for most of my trip as a result of my decision to abide by the rules. The days of the "wild west" tourist free flying epic shots over all those magical locations we dream of, are pretty much over.

Alex

I travelled with Solo + 2 batteries as carry on through France and Spain and had no issues. Wasn't asked, stopped, questioned, etc. not once through airport security. Unfortunately these countries have stricter controls on who can operate a drone in their airspace. When I initially set-off I had hoped to take some epic footage, only to find out, in most places, it would be illegal. Yes, you can play the "dumb tourist" card, "oh, i didn't know I couldn't do that here", but such a hassle to deal with, especially if you get fined (which you will at minimum) or worse.

I also learned that all the little apps and online "do not fly here" maps are better suited to FAA/US air space than the rest of the world. My Solo wound up unpacked for most of my trip as a result of my decision to abide by the rules. The days of the "wild west" tourist free flying epic shots over all those magical locations we dream of, are pretty much over.

Alex

So, it sounds like I shouldn't bother taking my Solo on my upcoming trip to Spain? What rules did you find that prevented you from wanting to fly in Spain? I don't want to take my drone all the way there if it's going to cause me problems to operate it.

Just FYI: I flew from US to London, to Prague, no problems at all.. (Took the Solo backpack as carry on, it perfectly fit in the Boeing 747)..

Reactions: Deleted member 2847
Does anyone know what the current situation is with Spain? I've found some sites that say it's fine to fly a drone there if it's under 25 kilos, but I want to make sure.

So, it sounds like I shouldn't bother taking my Solo on my upcoming trip to Spain? What rules did you find that prevented you from wanting to fly in Spain? I don't want to take my drone all the way there if it's going to cause me problems to operate it.

For recreational flying, I would suggest checking with the local authorities where you intend to fly. I was traveling through more populated/tourist areas at the time, so did not bother shooting as a result. I err on the side of caution. Also, even though our "where to fly" maps show us airports, etc, it doesn't show all air traffic routes. That's why you should check with local authorities. The laws have been confusing in Spain because at one point, they had banned all uav usage, then distinguished between commercial and recreational.

The farther you are away from people the better off you'll be, and the less authorities will care. In Australia they have a 30 meter (100') minimum distance from other people.

I found out (from a policeman there who is really into drones himself) that in the the Netherlands most cities allow NO UAVs, and above 10 meters altitude, the penalties are more severe.

For recreational flying, I would suggest checking with the local authorities where you intend to fly. I was traveling through more populated/tourist areas at the time, so did not bother shooting as a result. I err on the side of caution. Also, even though our "where to fly" maps show us airports, etc, it doesn't show all air traffic routes. That's why you should check with local authorities. The laws have been confusing in Spain because at one point, they had banned all uav usage, then distinguished between commercial and recreational.

Good points. Thank you. My biggest concern is flying somewhere where I shouldn't. It's like when I tried to take a photo inside a museum in Italy before I had been told that this was a no-no. I felt bad about it, because had I known, I wouldn't have even tried. I'll definitely check with local authorities before I go, and probably again after I get there (assuming that I bother to fly there with it after the first conversation).

Good points. Thank you. My biggest concern is flying somewhere where I shouldn't. It's like when I tried to take a photo inside a museum in Italy before I had been told that this was a no-no. I felt bad about it, because had I known, I wouldn't have even tried. I'll definitely check with local authorities before I go, and probably again after I get there (assuming that I bother to fly there with it after the first conversation).
Part of the problem with this is that many times the authorities don't know themselves, and that can go one way or the other. In other words, they may tell you you CAN'T do something (when you can), and they may not know of something else that might get you in trouble.

I travel a lot (I've been in the U.S., Canada, Japan, Australia, and New Zealand in the last 3 months) and I
1) find out whatever rules I can on the internet (on "official" government sites)
2) Stay as far away from people as possible (Australia has a 30 meter fro all people rule, and Canada has something similar). This is the biggest thing of all. That keeps down the chance of people making complaints, which will make police more likely to fine or bother you.
3) Stay far from Airports and landing paths, AND far from where helicopters or other small planes fly (if they are coming your way, gt way down, and land ASAP)
4) Keep it closer than you would at home. I generally keep it within 300 meters laterally. Vertically, most countries have a 120m/400ft rule, though some (like Japan) are double that. I recommend not pushing those limits.

Reactions: Maddog
From what I understand most airlines use the IATA dangerous goods guidelines which state a limit of 2 spare batteries in carry-on is applicable if each battery capacity is between 100 and 160 Wh. Below 100 Wh, there is no limit apart from normal carry-on weight and seize restrictions.

Solo being 70 WH, there is no limit on qty of batteries. Only terminals need to be taped/protected.

This is the case with Qantas, Emirates and British Airways at least per their website policies. Other airlines of course, may have their own policies that may be stricter.

Where can I find some paper work explaining the 70Wh of the Solo batteries and anything else that may be required to inform the airline of the batteries that I am carrying?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danny5150