Travel with Solo to Europe from US

Reaction score
As indicated by the title, I am planning a trip to Europe. France and Italy will be the primary stops and I would like to bring Solo.

Anyone have any travel experiences they would like to share?

I recently traveled in a small private aircraft and stowed Solo in its backpack in the luggage compartment. The luggage compartment was not pressurized or climate controlled and Solo was ok. I am thinking bringing Solo as a carry on is a smarter idea for a commercial flight - thoughts either way?

Anyone have any experience flying in Italy? France?

I would like to avoid being arrested or causing a war ... Any specific no fly areas?

Those that travel with their "drone' are concerned because of all of the negative news stories that have "Drones" in the headlines. I have flew a few times with my Solo using the 3DR Solo backpack and have not had a issue.

You mentioned an unpressurized compartment in the past and I'll say placing Lipo batteries in a non pressurized compartment is a huge risk as the batteries can expand and even caught fire.

Remove the batteries and carry them with your in your carry on. I also use Lipo Fire Proof Battery Bags even when sticking the Solo batteries in the overhead bin.

lithium ion batteries can not be checked they have to be carry on. I read 1 in the devise and 2 spares. But could not find it right now. Maybe phone browser vs computer.... And I think the solo batteries are 700mwh well below the 1000mwh max alowed

Roger that on the batteries ...as written to in my post - Solo was stowed ... I carried the 4 batteries onboard. Thank you for providing us with education related to traveling with lipo batteries.

Here's a link to the FAA website: Pack Safe – Lithium ion and lithium metal batteries, spare (uninstalled)

You can read all about the rules and regulations associated with air travel and lipo batteries.

To clarify, I am asking for accounts of personal travel experience.

Last edited:
There have been some reports in Europe about people getting fed up with tourists flying drones around monuments and sights. So be careful and polite, especially in France. Italians tend to be a bit more flexible and willing to give you permission to fly. It's still important to ask. Having a local with you is best.

There have been some reports in Europe about people getting fed up with tourists flying drones around monuments and sights. So be careful and polite, especially in France. Italians tend to be a bit more flexible and willing to give you permission to fly. It's still important to ask. Having a local with you is best.

Any links?

I don't intend to fly over any monuments ... No fly below 500 feet above a populated area

I appreciate your opinions.

I am asking if anyone has personal experience traveling with Solo abroad

A little more information ...

Has anyone had dealings with TSA in regard to Solo, i.e.: carrying Solo onto a US commercial flight?

Has anyone had direct dealings with customs in either the US or in Europe?

Anyone here work for TSA or customs?

Roger that on the batteries ...as written to in my post - Solo was stowed ... I carried the 4 batteries onboard. Thank you for providing us with education related to traveling with lipo batteries.

Here's a link to the FAA website: Pack Safe – Lithium ion and lithium metal batteries, spare (uninstalled)

You can read all about the rules and regulations associated with air travel and lipo batteries.

To clarify, I am asking for accounts of personal travel experience.
I was not aware you could carry a lipo on board a plane. It would be very easy to start a fire with one, say in the lavatory, and possibly bring the plane down.

In fact, you could start a fire with a 9 volt and some steel wool.

Any links?

I don't intend to fly over any monuments ... No fly below 500 feet above a populated area

It's 400 ft just about everywhere in the world now. Do not fly over people, or you are asking for trouble, regardless of the height.

As indicated by the title, I am planning a trip to Europe. France and Italy will be the primary stops and I would like to bring Solo.

Anyone have any travel experiences they would like to share?

I recently traveled in a small private aircraft and stowed Solo in its backpack in the luggage compartment. The luggage compartment was not pressurized or climate controlled and Solo was ok. I am thinking bringing Solo as a carry on is a smarter idea for a commercial flight - thoughts either way?

Anyone have any experience flying in Italy? France?

I would like to avoid being arrested or causing a war ... Any specific no fly areas?
The actual FAA rule is that you cannot carry SPARE LIPO batteries in your luggage. You MAY have one in the drone itself, though many people (including posters to this thread) feel that's not a good idea. Better safe than sorry. You may only carry TWO in your carry-on (per person).

However, many TSA people are not up to date on that

The actual FAA rule is that you cannot carry SPARE LIPO batteries in your luggage. You MAY have one in the drone itself, though many people (including posters to this thread) feel that's not a good idea. Better safe than sorry. You may only carry TWO in your carry-on (per person).

However, many TSA people are not up to date on that
I'm concerned that a "bad person" with just 1 lipo in the cabin could cause death & destruction! :confused:

Any links?

Yes. I do have personal experience. I have flown in France and Italy and many other European countries numerous times - most recently in Austria and Iceland. A couple years ago you could fly pretty much where ever you wanted, including around monuments. People were fascinated (and accommodating). Today... not as much. The novelty has worn off a bit - especially as idiot tourists with little flying experience have bungled around castles and ruins. As I said in the original post, in Italy they are still much more laid back about it than in France. No matter where you go, it's always best to have a local to smooth things over and get permissions.

And by the way, flying above 500 feet isn't an excuse to fly above a populated area. Don't fly above a populated area at all. Period. End of story. You didn't mention the UK, but you should also be extra careful there. Every country has different rules and or recommendations. Look them up. Use google. Soon there may be EU wide rules, but not yet.

Side note: your Solo Controler probably violates telecom frequency regulations, but most European pilots quietly use our FCC config for increased range. It's your call how compliant you want to be. I recommend it's better safe than sorry.

Reactions: Del
A little more information ...

Has anyone had dealings with TSA in regard to Solo, i.e.: carrying Solo onto a US commercial flight?

Has anyone had direct dealings with customs in either the US or in Europe?

Anyone here work for TSA or customs?
Yes. I've had direct dealings. Expect to get pulled aside during the security screening and to have your bag carefully checked. It's never been a problem - just a small delay. Customs doesn't care at all. They just stamp your passport and send you through.

Yes. I do have personal experience. I have flown in France and Italy and many other European countries numerous times - most recently in Austria and Iceland. A couple years ago you could fly pretty much where ever you wanted, including around monuments. People were fascinated (and accommodating). Today... not as much. The novelty has worn off a bit - especially as idiot tourists with little flying experience have bungled around castles and ruins. As I said in the original post, in Italy they are still much more laid back about it than in France. No matter where you go, it's always best to have a local to smooth things over and get permissions.

And by the way, flying above 500 feet isn't an excuse to fly above a populated area. Don't fly above a populated area at all. Period. End of story. You didn't mention the UK, but you should also be extra careful there. Every country has different rules and or recommendations. Look them up. Use google. Soon there may be EU wide rules, but not yet.

Side note: your Solo Controler probably violates telecom frequency regulations, but most European pilots quietly use our FCC config for increased range. It's your call how compliant you want to be. I recommend it's better safe than sorry.
What Erik said. Some countries have special rules. For example, you may not fly any zones over any cities in the Netherlands without a commercial license. I have flown there and was warned by a cop (I was not flying when he warned me).

When I was flying in Iceland recently I was given some serious grief - by American tourists.

Some countries (like Australia) have specific rules about private property (you can't fly over anyone's backyard). I would carefully check the rules of each country you plan to visit.

Yes. I've had direct dealings. Expect to get pulled aside during the security screening and to have your bag carefully checked. It's never been a problem - just a small delay. Customs doesn't care at all. They just stamp your passport and send you through.
I recommend having the FAA rules regarding LIPOs with you. I've never needed them, but they would be good to have in case. I've also never be hassled by customs the past 50 times I've been through- but I've also not had my luggage searched. I don't think it's an issue.

Reactions: erikgraham
You are accurate on all accounts.

From what I understand most airlines use the IATA dangerous goods guidelines which state a limit of 2 spare batteries in carry-on is applicable if each battery capacity is between 100 and 160 Wh. Below 100 Wh, there is no limit apart from normal carry-on weight and seize restrictions.

Solo being 70 WH, there is no limit on qty of batteries. Only terminals need to be taped/protected.

This is the case with Qantas, Emirates and British Airways at least per their website policies. Other airlines of course, may have their own policies that may be stricter.

Attachments

• LithiumBattery_PassengerFlyer.jpg
    LithiumBattery_PassengerFlyer.jpg
    396.7 KB · Views: 20
From what I understand most airlines use the IATA dangerous goods guidelines which state a limit of 2 spare batteries in carry-on is applicable if each battery capacity is between 100 and 160 Wh. Below 100 Wh, there is no limit apart from normal carry-on weight and seize restrictions.

Solo being 70 WH, there is no limit on qty of batteries. Only terminals need to be taped/protected.

This is the case with Qantas, Emirates and British Airways at least per their website policies. Other airlines of course, may have their own policies that may be stricter.
Prior to the Solo, I've traveled numerous times with as many as 20 batteries in a carry on (all in LiPo safe bags). With the Solo I've made one trip, with 11 batteries in carry ons (not all in LiPo bags). On no occasion has security ever brought up the number of batteries.

Prior to the Solo, I've traveled numerous times with as many as 20 batteries in a carry on (all in LiPo safe bags). With the Solo I've made one trip, with 11 batteries in carry ons (not all in LiPo bags). On no occasion has security ever brought up the number of batteries.

Thanks Erik, I have not yet travelled with my Solo, but will do next month throughout SE Asia. I hope all goes ok, I have 4 Solo batteries.

I have though recently travelled through Dubai and was pulled aside as I had about 20 x 1.5V Ni-MH's (for electrical test equipment) in my carry on. These were packed in a plastic battery box that was packed with foam and taped closed. Security told me i was only allowed to carry 4 spare batteries and they would be confiscating the rest, I had the Emirates DG policy on my phone and showed them to no avail, I stood my ground and only when the supervisor was called over and asked about it, he waved me through and said no problem. So it is important that everyone at least knows what the allowances are as could be expensive if airport security start confiscating Solo batteries....

Have you found a LIPO bag that works well / fits the solo batteries? I did not realise that these were available... looking at them now on Amazon...

Would be interesting to hear of other people's experiences (both good and bad) travelling by air with drones and associated batteries!

Cheers,

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks