Tower & Android

Some wierd stuff going on here. I have never experienced any of these issues that some of you guys are having. I might fly this weekend but I tore my meniscus on Tuesday so I've been pretty immobile.
meniscus.....Ouch. Did that also.. Good news is the microsugery made me 100%

FYI: You can fly with Solo to where you want to start, so no need to "arm" with Tower. I tried that once and the Solo started jumping around, so I haven't tried it again.

Last edited:
meniscus.....Ouch. Did that also.. Good news is the microsugery made me 100%

I'm waiting on my MRI before I find out if I need surgery but if I do, I'll have to put it off for about a month because I'm going to Italy, France and Spain the first 2 weeks of Sept.

I'm waiting on my MRI before I find out if I need surgery but if I do, I'll have to put it off for about a month because I'm going to Italy, France and Spain the first 2 weeks of Sept.
NICE... Where in Itally? Itally would be AWESOME for Solo

Even with the timeline, surgery "might" be better than the alternate. At least it was in my case. Two little holes and a couple weeks and I was pretty good to go. Was on crutches before that...

Reactions: DodgeP
I'm taking my Nikon D800 and GoPro 4 black with a handheld gimbal. This is really a trip that's on my wife's bucket list so I'm going to enjoy it with her this time and if we decided to go back I'll take time out for myself.

At the bottom of the screen in Tower, you will see 'Auto'. Tapping that will start the mission. Also in the drop down box at the top where it usually says 'Loiter'. There will be an Auto choice there as well.
I flew three Tower missions this morning. I do confirm that the "auto" button did appear at the bottom of the screen so I used this to start the mission. I flew manually to near the start then took control again at the end to land. Thank you.

Hitting Rome, Naples and Florence.. Not taking Solo though..
Was stationed in Italy in the late 90's, loved it. The wife and I always talk about wanting to go back. September would be a good time as it should be cooling off.

Reactions: DodgeP
Hello every one.
I'm new here, just starting with tower with and a DIY Iris-like (not finished yet)
But i played with the Tower App and i was wondering.

There is now a screen in the App saying Sololink (i can imagine that with out a Solo it won't work ?)
My idea is to use only one screen instead of using the FPV monitor and the Android tablet.
I juste want to use the Android tablet only.

Option 1)
Using the OTG in one USB port for temetry and the second USB is the Video In with an approriate converter.

Option 2)
OTG for telmetry and Wifi for Video signal from a Wifi video converter (ground station) ?

Any idea on how to use "FPV" with Tower ?

Attachments

• IMG_0169.JPG
    IMG_0169.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 7
Well for the Solo telemetry and video are both over wifi, so that solves that. For the iris you use MavLink antenna connected to USB and video on a 2.4 or 5.8 wifi band depending on your FPV radio. Looks like you found your answer (I didn't actually check the links), but since this is a Solo forum, I'm not sure you'll get much help. For Iris or related, check out diydrones iris group.

Thank you.
There is a Wifi telemetry module and i was thinking. Wow if i could transmit in Wifi "telemetry" and video maybe I would be able to use the nice SoloApp (with my iPad) but I guess I would need to get a Solo to do that ;-)
So the Solo is transmitting Video from the WiFi to the remote?
Do you know how is it working?
Any interferences with 2.4ghz remote ?

Thanks

Thank you.
There is a Wifi telemetry module and i was thinking. Wow if i could transmit in Wifi "telemetry" and video maybe I would be able to use the nice SoloApp (with my iPad) but I guess I would need to get a Solo to do that ;-)
Yes. There are many features in the Solo app that are specifically designed for the Solo. To use the Solo app you are going to need a Solo. I suppose in theory it could be hacked to work with another drone, but that would involve coding a layer that integrates with 3DR services to "trick" the app into thinking it was connected to both a Solo controller and the Solo itself, and translating commands and alerts back and forth between the two. Even then, the Smart Shots rely on a small Linux computer in the drone to execute, so those would be very difficult to duplicate.

So the Solo is transmitting Video from the WiFi to the remote?
Yes.
Do you know how is it working?
Any interferences with 2.4ghz remote ?
I do not know how they combine video and telemetry together over the same wifi channel, but it works pretty reliably.

Yes there is interference when you fly in an area with a lot of wifi networks. Many users use antennas called FPVLRs to help "punch through" congested wifi environments. Personally I only fly in remote areas where this is not an issue.

One more thing before I sign off. Are you sure you want to have video and telemetry on the same screen? I set up my Iris so that I have a 7 inch monitor just for video, and then I Velcro a small android phone beneath that to use Tower. I prefer that set up. It all clamps together and fits onto my controller. I get a nice big display for video, and the Tower app shows me the map and telemetry. I much prefer that to using the video feed in Tower on the Solo.

Thank you.
Yes i think that tower is a very nice app anyway and i have the choise to have a second monitor or the android tablette with an OTG cable + video in converter.

Thank's again

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apicasso