Tower & Android

Any Tower experts here? I tried Tower tonight and had problems.... Looking for some instruction...

I downloaded, installed, and set up the app and was able to connect with no problems. I connedted and set up a simple spline mission with a squiggly line, and about 11 waypoints, all at the defaults at 66 ft high and downloaded it to the Solo. It asked if I wanted to add a takeoff and landing and so I did,

I armed the machine and started the mission and things went wrong from there...The Solo started bouncing up and down quickly and eventually flipped, while keeping the motors riunning.

I tried the controller, Solo app, and Tower and I couldn't figure out hpw to shut it off. I picked it up and held it while it was trying to fly. Eventually I got it shut down, and minus some props it is OK..I "thought" I understoof Tower, but it looks like I am missing something

Anybody will and able to help a bit regarding using it in Solo?
I would recommend taking off. Getting it to a hover pretty close to your first waypoint. Then start the mission to see what it does. Of course be ready to hit the fly button on your controller to take back control.

As the mission ends, take control back (FLY button) and land it yourself.

If the mission performs as planned (aside from take off and landing), then that narrows things down a lot.

If you decide try another mission with take off and landings built in, I suggest being ready to hit the FLY button and throttle up the instant you see any kind of bouncing.

You might want to learn how to retrieve data logs (in addition to T-logs). They can be very helpful tracking down issues like this. Post them here or better yet at Diydrones in the Solo group. Someone will no doubt take a look and tell you what happened.

Also, you could probably have created a trouble ticket (you still probably can) in your Solo app and send to 3DR. It will include the logs and they will get back to you with analysis of exactly what happened.

I would recommend taking off. Getting it to a hover pretty close to your first waypoint. Then start the mission to see what it does. Of course be ready to hit the fly button on your controller to take back control.

If the mission performs as planned (aside from take off and landing), then that narrows things down a lot.

If you decide try another mission with take off and landings built in, I suggest being ready to hit the FLY button and throttle up the instant you see any kind of bouncing.

You might want to learn how to retrieve data logs (in addition to T-logs). They can be very helpful tracking down issues like this. Post them here or better yet at Diydrones in the Solo group. Someone will no doubt take a look and tell you what happened.

Also, you could probably have created a trouble ticket (you still probably can) in your Solo app and send to 3DR. It will include the logs and they will get back to you with analysis of exactly what happened.
Great advice. Thank you. I have a job this weekend, (another bird) but will get on it as soon as I get back.

Several of us had an instant takeoff close to the ground. After you upload the mission you should hear a message "wp saved". Of course sound has to be ON. Then for some reason I believe it's best to go from EDITOR back to Flight Data. Then start motors at idle. You should here another message "WP's received". If you appended T/O and Landing hit "AUTO". As soon as SOLO takes off a menu will appear at bottom of page with 5 options, "like "HOME-AUTO-PAUSE-LAND " etc.

This is what happened to me 1st time out after I did a manual t/o and hit "ARM"

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Several of us had an instant takeoff close to the ground. After you upload the mission you should hear a message "wp saved". Of course sound has to be ON. Then for some reason I believe it's best to go from EDITOR back to Flight Data. Then start motors at idle. You should here another message "WP's received". If you appended T/O and Landing hit "AUTO". As soon as SOLO takes off a menu will appear at bottom of page with 5 options, "like "HOME-AUTO-PAUSE-LAND " etc.

yes....CLOSE!

That's when the ol' Pucker Factor kicks in!

I feel pretty confident with the Solo once the waypoints start and it starts moving. But I am always ready to hit Pause until then as my starts have been been great.

With my AD1 quad with a Pixhawk FC using Tower, DP or Missionplanner I always felt safer taking off manually rather using auto take off.

I like to climb above trees or other obstruction before initiating a auto mission. This also gives me a chance to see that the craft is responding correctly and I can also recheck Sat count and HDOP before committing.

I feel pretty confident with the Solo once the waypoints start and it starts moving. But I am always ready to hit Pause until then as my starts have been been great.
I'm gonna have to break down and get the DBSMods antenna before I start trying any long distance missions. I've got some secret squirrel spy stuff I want to do. BVR.

Reactions: rrmccabe
Another Tower question. Has anyone gotten the "use offline maps" working? When I select this option the maps dissapear, no matter what other details i chose about the maps.

Anybody had luck with this? What am I missing?

The only thing you need is an Android device. As far as video, some are switching to the Solo app from Tower to get the video. I have connected an HDMI cable to the controller then to my Black Pearl monitor and getting video that way while staying in the Tower app on my Samsung tablet.

You are connecting using SoloLink. In Tower you select UDP while the device is connected to SoloLink.

I need a little more guidance on this process ...

I am running an iOS device for video feed, and a Samsung Tab S with Tower and 3DR services ...

Procedure:

iOS and Tab S power on
Solo Controller Power on
Solo Power On
GoPro Power On
Connect iOS to Sololink via Wifi
Confirm connection to Solo - Video feed OK - Waiting for GPS
GPS OK - Video feed OK
Tab S - 3DR Services on
Tab S - Initiate Tower App
Tower - UDP - Connect

I'm stuck here ... unable to connect to Solo ... no device found

One more question ... What is the best practice for flying Solo with Tower?

I have read some are using a separate monitor ... others are using the Solo App and Tower on the same device and switching back and forth. Which way works best? I am having trouble with connectivity and would like to avoid problems in the field.

I am running an iOS device for video feed, and a Samsung Tab S with Tower and 3DR services ...

Procedure:

iOS and Tab S power on
Solo Controller Power on
Solo Power On
GoPro Power On
GPS OK - Video feed OK
Tab S - 3DR Services on
Tower - UDP - Connect

Hmmm.. Never tried that....It is possible it won't work. But before giving in, is your Tab S connected to the Sololink network?

Procedure:

iOS and Tab S power on
Solo Controller Power on
Solo Power On
GoPro Power On
GPS OK - Video feed OK
Tab S - 3DR Services on
Tower - UDP - Connect

Going to tag @David Weston

He is using two devices but I think both are iOS.

Have you tried reversing what each device does?

I understand you want to run them separately, but as a troubleshooting step, I would put Solo on the Tab and try both on that. That will eliminate anything on the controller/solo side. I am not sure of the mechanism that both (Solo and Tower) use (other than the fact that it is UDP) to talk to 3DR services. It is possible that it needs to be on the same machine.

Made some progress and ready to go fly ... One device is iOS and the other is Droid ...

I was able to connect via the Tab S with Tower providing I connected the Tab S first. I was also able to switch back and forth from Tower to Solo app - but I have not flown yet. I think using two devices is not possible .. that or its beyond my scope.

A few other concerns relates to GPS and antenna ... I will submit another post

I have yet to try a Tower mission. Your suggestion of flying manually near the first waypoint looks like a great idea. How do I start the Tower mission? I understand that hitting "fly" or "pause" on the controller will stop the mission.

At the bottom of the screen in Tower, you will see 'Auto'. Tapping that will start the mission. Also in the drop down box at the top where it usually says 'Loiter'. There will be an Auto choice there as well.

Reactions: Mosquito2
Some wierd stuff going on here. I have never experienced any of these issues that some of you guys are having. I might fly this weekend but I tore my meniscus on Tuesday so I've been pretty immobile.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frank2000