RTK Survey with 3DR Solo - Using Mission Planner

Reaction score
If anyone has any positive working experience connecting a 3DR Solo with RTK modules, I am very keen to learn from you.

I have installed a RTK GPS (NEO-M8P) into my Solo and have a RTK Base Station (XXL RTK Base), both purchased from Drotek (DROTEK Electronics - Smart and Autonomous objects creators).
I have also updated the firmware (ArduCopter-v2) on my Solo using WinSCP. Given my Solo generated it's 'Party Mode' after rebooting, I'm confident the new firmware was installed correctly.

My question is:
Does one need to fly missions using Mission Planner (Not Tower) for the RTK system to function correctly i.e. Does ones laptop (running MP) need to be connected to the base station via cable for the system to function? - a method of telemetry link?
Or can the Base Station be left as a stand alone (not connected to anything)?

Thanks
Jonty

Last edited:
You just spent $850 on GPS equipment, but didn't actually even google what you're doing or how to do it first??

Reactions: Jonty
I'm fairly knowledgeable with generating photogrammetry surveys for volume calculations (grid export to GIS),
and accustomed to changing photography parameters and handling red-flags during photogrammetry processing.
As background: I've flow about 450 photogrammetry survey missions, each containing 120 - 350 images, all using multiple survey GCPs.
I usually generate my missions in MP using custom GeoTIFF mine elevation models, then export the ground-hugging mission to my tablet (write to drone, connect tablet to Solo, save mission to tablet).
Once in tablet format, I fly the mission on mine site using my tablet only.
Note: --> This is my prefered option.

All I was asking; Does the RTK base station needed to be plugged into a laptop,
and that one needed to be flying the mission using the same laptop?
I ask this only because I do not prefer taking my laptop into a bright & dusty mine pit.

Anyway, I have swallowed the bitter pill and accepted that if I want to fly using RTK,
my laptop (running MP) will need to wear the dust.
If there is an alternative for me to fly my RTK missions using a tablet,
I'm all ears.

Last edited:
You just spent $850 on GPS equipment, but didn't actually even google what you're doing or how to do it first??
I see you are promoting the instalment of Green Cube (replacement pixhawk), and I read it improves 'performance'.
I'm not too sure about the associated meaning or definition of this 'performance'?

Given I always launch & land manually, hardly use my Solo for video,
and am largely keen to improve only my RTK capacity for photogrammetry surveying;
Is this replacement pixhawk something I should (would want to) purchase?

I am very intrigued by the Green Cube - The Ultimate 'Master Solo' conversion kit.
And web page for further explanation: http://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/solo_arducopter_upgrade.htm

The Green Cube RTK upgrade seems to be a better purchase than the Drotek RTK upgrade,
for quality and price.
The reason I ask is that I have two Solos, with only one upgraded using the Drotek RTK GPS (NEO-M8P).
If the Ultimate 'Master Solo' conversion kit by Jester's Drones is the bomb, I'll give it a go & install.

Last edited:
There are base and rover products out there that can communicate with each other independent of the GCS telemetry, however not what you have there and certainly nothing plug and play compatible with a solo.

Did you download ArduCopter 3.5.4 (-v2) from the web and install that on your Solo?? You're asking for trouble doing that on the stock cube. Did you load the ArduCopter 3.5 Solo Parameter file?

The Drotek RTK for Solo is plug and play and works ok along with the Drotek Arducopter RTK version which is built on the original 3DR Arducopter code.

However, for the best RTK results with your Drotek, you should go with Arducopter 3.5/OpenSolo/Greencube as Matt advised.

There are base and rover products out there that can communicate with each other independent of the GCS telemetry, however not what you have there and certainly nothing plug and play compatible with a solo.

Did you download ArduCopter 3.5.4 (-v2) from the web and install that on your Solo?? You're asking for trouble doing that on the stock cube. Did you load the ArduCopter 3.5 Solo Parameter file?
No. I did not install ArduCopter 3.5.4 Solo Parameter file into my Solo.

I have however upgraded my firmware with ArduCopter-v2.px4 using WinSCP to transfer file into firmware folder, and reboot on Solo into party mode.
I am concerned updating to ArduCopter 3.5 given I do not have a Green Cube yet.
I read the original 3DR Solo stock cube is not totally safely-compatible with the new ArduCopter 3.5.4 (open for comments on this).

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apicasso