Problem with Gopro hero 4 camera.....

Reaction score
hey all, test flew my new Solo, all good, but cannot get the go pro 4 camera to function with the app. Cannot snap photos or video, If I disconnect the camera, it will take photos and video normal when I manually press the exposure button.
I do get live HD video from it when flying, but no functions. I press the red button on the app, but no photos or videos, will not function.
Help please!

Reactions: Raptor
The ability to control the camera is only available via the gimbal. That is why the free battery if offered, to compensate for the gimbal delay. So until we have the gimbal, we have no control of the camera while in flight.

What goodnNuff said. You have to start the camera before you take off.Right now you only have a HDMI connection via that cable. No way to control camera. Its just video on that cable.

I can't even get the video to display. I've updated the camera, turned things off and on in different orders, but no luck. Boo. Hiss. What am I doing wrong?

I can't even get the video to display. I've updated the camera, turned things off and on in different orders, but no luck. Boo. Hiss. What am I doing wrong?
What are you using for your display?
You said you were getting a live view when you fly, right? What video is not displaying?

I'm using an iPad mini. No live view or anything else. I can't get video from the camera to display on the iPad. Nothing shows up. It must be a settings issue, but I can't figure it out.

Even without the gimbal you can record video from the Hero4.

Option 1:
As others have mentioned, you can start rolling on the GoPro before you take off. This is the highest quality video you will get, but of course when you are done flying you will need to hook your GoPro up to your computer to get the video off its internal SD card.

Option 2:
Alternatively, you can use the red button in the Solo app to record the live stream that you see while you fly. This is much fuzzier video, subject to any glitches or interruptions in the live feed. IMPORTANT: in the Solo app settings, you have to enable "Save Videos to Camera Roll"

When the Gimbal finally starts shipping, you will be able to fully control your GoPro from the controller while the Solo is in the air. (Starting and stoping video recordings, taking photos, changing settings, etc.)

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I'm using an iPad mini. No live view or anything else. I can't get video from the camera to display on the iPad. Nothing shows up. It must be a settings issue, but I can't figure it out.
I saw a video earlier and it was talking about how the GoPro mounts in the static mount. It stated to connect the camera first to the HDMI cable before securing the camera in the mount because it is easy to misalign the camera to a point where the cable does not fully insert into the HDMI port.

Reactions: rrmccabe
Sarah, I had that issue when I first hooked my GoPro up. The main problem was that I didn't charge the GoPro first, thinking that the Solo was going to power it. The GoPro looked like it was on, but it wouldn't send video until I charged it first. Hopefully that's your problem because the solution is pretty simple.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try again, later, after work.

Did you figure it out? Took mine out this morning for the first time as well and was unable to get a live feed. I have "save videos to camera roll enabled" but nothing will display.

I will try again later and let you know what happens.

I had the same problem this morning but I still flew two batteries. After I got home, here's what I did.

1) I turned everything off.
2) Turned on Solo.
3) Turned on the controller.
4) Turned on iPad and connected to Solo WiFi.
5) Opened the app (I have an iPad 2 mini - no cellular, just wifi) and left it at the screen that says "Fly" and "Flight School".
6) Plugged in the GoPro4.
7) Turned on the GoPro4 (make sure it's in Video Mode).
8) Hit Fly and the live feed was there.
9) Hit record on the GoPro if you want to record your flight.

P.S - Be sure that your Solo app setting is on "Save Videos to Camera Roll"

Hope this works for you.

Hi all....I have the same issue....like sara i've done everything i can think of....i've got two heros (3 black and 4 black) and a new ipad mini as well as a nexus 7 tablet...tried every configuration and many different sequences, called support and they said they would send me an email with the answer...their answer was reboot and check "record to camera roll" in settings...tried that as well...no dice. Now i guess i will wait til monday...i will give what dodge recommended a try too....but i am not too hopeful. If anyone has an answer i am all ears....thanks. ALL batteries fully charged!

Hi all....I have the same issue....like sara i've done everything i can think of....i've got two heros (3 black and 4 black) and a new ipad mini as well as a nexus 7 tablet...tried every configuration and many different sequences, called support and they said they would send me an email with the answer...their answer was reboot and check "record to camera roll" in settings...tried that as well...no dice. Now i guess i will wait til monday...i will give what dodge recommended a try too....but i am not too hopeful. If anyone has an answer i am all ears....thanks. ALL batteries fully charged!

I can't promise you that this will work but; I think it will. I if the gopro is plugged in and turned on before you boot the bird and the controller, the computer might kill the connection seeing it as overload on the board.

I flew my first 2 batteries with the go pro on and recording and it never showed the live view. When I got home I did the boot sequence listed above and the live feed popped right up. The crazy thing is, that I flew 4 more batteries and didn't have an issue and all I did between batteries was power down the battery and switch it. I didn't have to go through the whole boot sequence over and over. I hope the gimbal isn't this finicky.

Dodge P
followed your sequence twice...same result no video. Also thinking maybe it wasn't plugged in all the way so i removed the camera from the bracket when i plugged it in...same results no video....I think some solos are having a legit issue.....i wish/hope it is an easy fix....i don't want to send it back in and wait!!

I had a similar issue.....no live video from go pro

Turned out I did not push the cable in all the way. Once I did that, it worked.....

If course I left it on and didn't realize that the solo does not power the go pro in the frame mount..so for the first flight today, I had no video.

I don't think it's the Solo. On my iPad, I get live view, but no map view. Only grid lines. On my iPhone, there's no live view, but the map view is perfect. I Googled, and there is, or was, an issue with location services after the latest iOS update. This means, of course, I'll waste an hour or two of my life this week trying to figure the motha effa out.

I wouldn't send anything back, yet. The support peeps at 3dr aren't fully informed, I think.

Oh, and when the GoPro's battery is exhausted and recharged, the camera resets to defaults, like having the low level Wifi seeker on when the camera is off. Who knows--yet--what other changes are made?

Update: The FB page is atrocious. It isn't searchable, so all one can do is scroll, scroll, scroll. There's apparently a software glitch that prevents the live feed from displaying at times. Also, the order in which things are turned on makes a difference. As for the iPad, there's no location capability unless there's a cellular connection. Someone started blathering about using a phone as a hot spot, but an iPad can't connect to two wifi signals at once.

image.jpg image.jpg

You should be able to connect via Bluetooth or cable to laptop in addition to wifi. These can be combined. I have used my iPhone as a hotspot for my wifi only iPad.
image.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44