Pro balancing

Jdc

Reaction score
Hello everybody, Any suggestions/tips to balance the props?

There are lots of videos on YouTube that demonstrate the process better than can be explained in a post.:)

I use the Dubro prop balancer, seems consistent for results.
Du-Bro 499 Tru-Spin Prop Balancer

EJH Precision Prop Balancer ROD 3D Robotics 3DR Solo
I have this for the stock props, fits both props - CCW CW
Stock props, I use tape to balance and for hub balancing hot glue.
@TheBasicPilot has a video on YT showing his method of balancing. He's a little off, but it seems he can balance props....;)

I use the Dubro provided prop rod for my APC props.
For the APC, I sand the prop to balance. Out of the package they are fairly balanced however.

It's worth the time to balance props and should be re-done ever so often or at least checked for balance.

Like MD said, plenty of threads here about the subject, but then how's a guy get to know anyone without asking a few questions..... It's called interaction, let the people talk MD..

...Like MD said, plenty of threads here about the subject, but then how's a guy get to know anyone without asking a few questions..... It's called interaction, let the people talk MD..
No way... folks need to be a master of their own destiny. Come on.... I am but a common girl, who moved away from home and joined the military at 18, then worked for Fed gov't, then started my own successful small business. Surely (some) people can use the search function first, and rely on the really tough stuff for 'interaction' But obviously... YM (and those of others) MV. :(

Must have been a rough childhood for you to want to make your way on your own at such a young age, do you need to talk more about it...;)

I got what you are saying and agree, but sometimes it seems people get shut down before they get a chance to feel comfortable. Its a southern thing, just making conversation. No harm and no foul in asking for a friendly conversation. You do see how this worked out, right?

I know the world would be a better place if everyone was smart and a go get'er like you. But have you paused for a moment to think maybe some of the people here are mechanically challenged and don't have the first clue. But yet they have the most amazing talent to create art and are just trying to get this brush to work for them. Maybe if you and "others" zipped up a bit, you may learn something that you've never known or had the ability to appreciate. Others may be more interested to open up and enjoy this endeavor together.

Life is not black and white. If you allow the pallet of colors to merge on a canvas you may see something amazingly beautiful. Me, I'm just trying to help others improve their frame construction for their canvas. Not looking for money, fame or my name on the frame. I appreciate art and artist. And with my limited skill set, I'd like to think I can help one or more out there merge the colors to something amazing. Where is the harm in that?

Peace.

Oh, look, you made the cop show up....;)

Hello everybody, Any suggestions/tips to balance the props?

I use a set of prop balancing shafts (I think they were for a Phantom, but the threads are the same as the Solo's props).

Screw on a prop and balance the shaft on the rim of a glass - the heavy side will roll to the bottom. Put a small piece of electrical tape on the light blade and test again. If it always rolls so the props are horizontal, the hub may be out of balance. I'll use a small blob of hot glue to balance the hub.

You should also balance the motors. Best way is to connect to the Solo through Mission Planner. There's a screen that lets you test each motor individually at whatever throttle % you specify. Best way I've found to do this is to just run a motor (without a prop) with your finger gently on the end of each arm. Experiment with small pieces of electrical tape on different parts of the motor and when it's balanced, you won't be able to feel any vibrations in the arm. If you feel some, you haven't gotten it yet. It takes patients, but you should be able to get them to go away completely.

I also recheck and tweak the balance with the props on the motors... you have to do that EXTREMELY carefully. Once I have them set, I number each prop to match the motor it was balanced on with a sharpie, that way I know they're always going on the same motors and the balance should be the same.

Reactions: Coastwise
Thanks everybody for the information and tips, that's what I was looking for.

Reactions: RichWest
Must have been a rough childhood for you to want to make your way on your own at such a young age, do you need to talk more about it...;)

'''I got what you are saying and agree, but sometimes it seems people get shut down before they get a chance to feel comfortable.

Oh, look, you made the cop show up....;)
Oh darn... you and Jubalr are so nice... I could take some lessons I suppose. I just feel a person can appreciate something a bit more if they had to put in an effort to achieve it - any effort would do.

I'll never win this battle though... so maybe I should reform. Ya' think?

I just feel a person can appreciate something a bit more if they had to put in an effort to achieve it - any effort would do.
I think they'll appreciate it even more, with a little encouragement or pointer. And I've yet to hear anyone offering to balance his props. So I'm pretty sure he'll be making an effort. Happy now?

so maybe I should reform. Ya' think?
Wait a second, don't go changing on me. I like you just the way you are....you common girl, you...where's that heart smillie when you need it...no-no, don't help me, I'll search for it on my own thank you....;)

I think they'll appreciate it even more, with a little encouragement or pointer. And I've yet to hear anyone offering to balance his props. So I'm pretty sure he'll be making an effort. Happy now?
Baby steps I suppose... I guess that is the effort.

Wait a second, don't go changing on me. I like you just the way you are....you common girl, you...where's that heart smillie when you need it...no-no, don't help me, I'll search for it on my own thank you....;)
phew... for a minute there, I thought I was going to have to help search for a smilie... :rolleyes: :cool:

So how 'bout that rain delay in the 10th? Probably better discussed on the 'Chicago' thread...

In the meantime, the OP probably thinks he stepped into a madhouse.

Baby steps I suppose... I guess that is the effort.

phew... for a minute there, I thought I was going to have to help search for a smilie... :rolleyes: :cool:

So how 'bout that rain delay in the 10th? Probably better discussed on the 'Chicago' thread...

In the meantime, the OP probably thinks he stepped into a madhouse.
The rain delay was nuts to watch as was this thread to read Haha. Good points on both sides :)

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Hello everybody, this was just a "friendly" question ,my mistake was not being specific enough, but that does not excuse the rude responses that some of you had.....anyway, this is the internet and when I choose to interact here I am well aware that there are some bad apples around..but be aware that the consequences of being rude is that people leave forums, and since solo is a dying product, now more than ever we need to keep the community alive for support.

Back to the question at hand (with details), I purchased a dubro quad prop balancer (the one that comes with the 6mm shaft) I have a bunch of propellers due to the Best Buy sale, so I started balancing them and to my surprise most of them were pretty much balanced (horizontally and vertically)... I doubled check the assembly of the dubro setup figuring i was missing something but everything was good.. I went to YouTube and didnt
find "solo specific" balancing videos" so my question is if anybody has experienced a similar circumtance with the dubro balancer? Also, what kind of equipment are you using to balance your props ( some of you already were kind enough to give me a detailedresponse and good tips, thank you for that :)

I use the Du-Bro and that shaft...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006N72Y8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
with this shaft
https://www.amazon.com/Du-Bro-Produ...rd_wg=IN5nH&psc=1&refRID=ETW85B4M4J3YGPSX6KEP

You need to balance the hub as well. Be certain that the balancer is level and that there is no draft in the area.

Prop and hub balancing:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I seem to have dozens of props now, but don't have time to balance ahead of need - however, all the Solo props I've checked and balanced, needed it! But I'm picky.

Reactions: Freebird32
Thank you for your response. I purchased this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B019...+quad+prop&dpPl=1&dpID=41bIlm-j9fL&ref=plSrch

Seems to be the same as yours, the only difference is that it includes the 6mm shaft.

I made sure the balancer was level and that the metal wheels on top were moving freely ( I was debating myself if I should put a couple of drops of wb40 up top, but I didn't at the end) . The propellers I tested it with pretty much stayed in place both vertically and horizontally.. I pretty much assumed it was an assembly mistake on my new part so I took it apart and did it again, same result.

There are lots of videos on YouTube that demonstrate the process better than can be explained in a post.:)
Wow- I was just trying to point the OP to an information source that is much better than I am on the subject.

I guess I should keep what I do know to myself and let people flounder about on their own. I'm gonna take my marbles and go home.o_O

"Damned if ya do and damned if ya don't".

Reactions: SARDG
Wow- I was just trying to point the OP to an information source that is much better than I am on the subject.

I guess I should keep what I do know to myself and let people flounder about on their own. I'm gonna take my marbles and go home.o_O

"Damned if ya do and damned if ya don't".
I think Jdc was talking more about me. Your advice is solid and the best YT I've found is linked above - originally gleaned by... well... searching YT.

...The propellers I tested it with pretty much stayed in place both vertically and horizontally.. I pretty much assumed it was an assembly mistake on my new part so I took it apart and did it again, same result.
Dunno... I want your manufacturer's run of props,

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danny5150