Prop Balancing

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Here is the video I shot today with the Solo, 3A Gimbal, and GP H4 Blk @ 1080P/60

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I read somewhere that the vibration was due to un balanced props. I know from flying RC fixed wings that balancing the prop is important. Take a look at the video and see, it looks shaky to me. For instance of you look at the tree is pixelates and blurs instead of what should be a crystal clear image. What are your thoughts?

I have been kicking around ideas on how to balance the solo props. Has anyone tried to balance them yet?

Here is the video I shot today with the Solo, 3A Gimbal, and GP H4 Blk @ 1080P/60

I read somewhere that the vibration was due to un balanced props. I know from flying RC fixed wings that balancing the prop is important. Take a look at the video and see, it looks shaky to me. For instance of you look at the tree is pixelates and blurs instead of what should be a crystal clear image. What are your thoughts?

I have been kicking around ideas on how to balance the solo props. Has anyone tried to balance them yet?
there's an in detailed thread here on it already but I can't find the link cuz I'm on my phone. Definitely something everyone should look into and do especially for those changing their lens out for a narrower focal length

Wasn't bad David. Balance the props for comparison.

On a side note, and just my opinion, but I cringe every time I see someone flying in that environment. Crowded neighborhood flying is asking for problems. Not just in the sense of busy WiFi area, but also any mechanical/electrical problems and it's likely to come down on any property but yours. Then you have the loudmouth sitting in his back yard calling cops, etc..Nothing is 100% reliable and there is a old saying in the RC hobby; "Build, Fly, Crash, Repeat".

Sorry for the interruption Now back to your regularly scheduled program..

I just ordered this to balance my props.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0108LIS4K?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Reactions: David Baldovin
Solo prop balancing discussion I will try to balance one of my solo props and post the process and results.

Wasn't bad David. Balance the props for comparison.

On a side note, and just my opinion, but I cringe every time I see someone flying in that environment. Crowded neighborhood flying is asking for problems. Not just in the sense of busy WiFi area, but also any mechanical/electrical problems and it's likely to come down on any property but yours. Then you have the loudmouth sitting in his back yard calling cops, etc..Nothing is 100% reliable and there is a old saying in the RC hobby; "Build, Fly, Crash, Repeat".

Sorry for the interruption Now back to your regularly scheduled program..

I'm sorry that my video made you nervous. I am comfortable with the risk (probability/severity) of potential loss associated with this flight test. I often make difficult things look easy and rarely post disclaimers or "don't try this at home folks I'm a trained pro". Anyway I share the general tenant of your comment and rest assured that my go/no-go flight assessments are for me, my skillset, the specific conditions, programing, etc. With all that said my purpose for this UAV is to explore and conduct that exact type of photography. See below for my discussion of balancing the props.

FYI, be very careful when balancing props because. if you do it incorrectly, you can have a prop break in flight and have a total loss of your bird. Peter from Acesdeals.biz refuses to sell prop balancer is because of the risk. Peter says most props are fairly well balanced from the factory and you're better off buying some extra ones in case you do have one from the factory that isn't well-balanced and not balancing them yourself as you're risking thousand dollars worth of equipment for an $8 prop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here my setup:

Du-Bro Tru Spin http://amzn.com/B0006N72Y8
EJH 3DR Solo rod http://amzn.com/B0108LIS4K
Thanks Steve,

That looks pretty good. I thought that the friction would be an issue but your base has compensated for that well. It shows using scotch tape to add weight. Have you tried this yet with the solo props? The only way that I have balanced a prop is by removing material from the back of the heavy side. Have you found that the tape sticks well?

FYI, be very careful when balancing props because. if you do it incorrectly, you can have a prop break in flight and have a total loss of your bird. Peter from Acesdeals.biz refuses to sell prop balancer is because of the risk. Peter says most props are fairly well balanced from the factory and you're better off buying some extra ones in case you do have one from the factory that isn't well-balanced and not balancing them yourself as you're risking thousand dollars worth of equipment for an $8 prop.

OK point taken. I have never experience the type of failure you mentioned. I am very careful with all of my UAV's. So do you have a method of prop balancing that you feel is adequate for our purposes? Also I am fairly new to this group but an experienced UAV pilot however I do not know Peter. Has Peter addressed the video quality issue I raised? The point of my prop balancing discussion was to address what appears to be video abnormalities caused by prop vibration.

Unfortunately I am unable to tell you how to correctly balance your props as I keep extra props on hand and only use the ones that are well-balanced from the factory per Peters suggestion. Others on this forum may be able to direct you on how to correctly balance props.

So why then do the Quad manufacturers recommend balancing your props? You'd have to be a complete idiot to take off so much material that you've now killed the integrity of the prop.

There are tons on good videos showing how to balance props properly.

And I found out that you can't believe everything you see on YouTube as I followed the instructions of one of those videos using scotch tape on the lighter side of the prop which resulted in a prop snapping midair and my P2 crashing from about 30 feet high onto concrete resulting in its total destruction. So yes I am an idiot who is passing on my experience others to save them a similar mistake.

Sounds more like you had a bad prop to begin with and the minuscule weight of the tape just brought it out. I can't see a small piece of tape cause a good prop to break. (Assuming a small piece of tape)
I've spoke with almost all the RC shops in my area and every single one them was all for prop balancing.

You're NOT an idiot, just unlucky.

What are the P2 props made out of anyway?

They were the stock DJI plastic props

Here is another video I shot today 2.7K @ 60fps I had an issue inflight with the gimbal. After landing and rebooting it was OK again.

Here my setup:

Du-Bro Tru Spin http://amzn.com/B0006N72Y8
EJH 3DR Solo rod http://amzn.com/B0108LIS4K
Thanks Steve, the video and sound are great. Love the it's so simple whistle lol. Will you share the details of how you created the video? I will look into your method. It does have a very clean approach but I am not sure about adding weight with tape. How is that working for you? What type of tape do you find sticks the best to the solo prop? I still think that the magnet balancer has the least friction but then I'm drilling holes that may not be perfect which would introduce even greater error. Your method is definitely the simplest.

Thanks Steve, the video and sound are great. Love the it's so simple whistle lol. Will you share the details of how you created the video? I will look into your method. It does have a very clean approach but I am not sure about adding weight with tape. How is that working for you? What type of tape do you find sticks the best to the solo prop? I still think that the magnet balancer has the least friction but then I'm drilling holes that may not be perfect which would introduce even greater error. Your method is definitely the simplest.
No, not my video. But like I said., same setup I have. Click on YouTube &it will take you to the author of the video.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Hmm. I just sanded the bottom (concave side of the props) and used the balancer with aluminum friction wheels listed earlier. Works great and easy to balance and keeps prop integrity. To the point the slightest wind outside changes the balance, so indoors better

Reactions: David Baldovin
Hmm. I just sanded the bottom (concave side of the props) and used the balancer with aluminum friction wheels listed earlier. Works great and easy to balance and keeps prop integrity. To the point the slightest wind outside changes the balance, so indoors better
Air from vents "inside" also should checked.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sampson

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela