new gopro question

Don't forget manual exposure control and a true Log profile like S-Log2. Two of the most important things to have to create professional looking footage, in my opinion at least.

Sony would never license GoPro to use S-Log, and Cineform has their own profiles anyway (they're not very good).
Manual exposure would likely cause more problems than solve problems, given the more broad userbase. GoPro doesn't even have manual exposure control in the software, can't be hacked. At least one can hack Genlock, which is critical for multi-camera sync/posting.
For those that don't know what S-log brings to the table, it's very nice.
upload_2016-3-7_10-42-11.png

Sony would never license GoPro to use S-Log, and Cineform has their own profiles anyway (they're not very good).
Manual exposure would likely cause more problems than solve problems, given the more broad userbase. GoPro doesn't even have manual exposure control in the software, can't be hacked. At least one can hack Genlock, which is critical for multi-camera sync/posting.
For those that don't know what S-log brings to the table, it's very nice.
View attachment 2730

It doesn't have to be S-Log of course. But a good flat profile that gives 13-14 stops of dynamic range would be very nice. And I don't think manual exposure would be al that big of a problem to give. They can implement it just like Pro Tune is now, flip a switch when in Pro Tune to enable the settings. Otherwise hide them.

If wish Sony would come out with a drone/gimbal version of the RX100IV, but with less rolling shutter.

It doesn't have to be S-Log of course. But a good flat profile that gives 13-14 stops of dynamic range would be very nice. And I don't think manual exposure would be al that big of a problem to give. They can implement it just like Pro Tune is now, flip a switch when in Pro Tune to enable the settings. Otherwise hide them.

If wish Sony would come out with a drone/gimbal version of the RX100IV, but with less rolling shutter.

There is no "less rolling shutter." Either there is, or there isn't. Global or not. Using ND, one can all but prevent RS.

I don't know that manual exposure is easy, and there is no way to get 14 stops of range out of the tiny Sony imager. It's easy to say something is easy to do; I wish I could have a nickel every time someone tells me how easy it would be to code this, that, or the other thing. These small imagers coupled with micro codecs, processors, large files, and heat are not entirely "easy" to work with. Don't forget, the way these are coded is that ISO and exposure are directly tied together. Since they're not split in the API and can't see controls when hacking...likely either they're limited by what Ambarella and Sony can do, or by other factors unknown. Given the engineering, support, and dev cost, how many more users would it buy them to offer it in the next version?

It would indeed be nice to have greater control over exposure than just half a stop.

Not sure what you mean by "less rolling shutter" but it sounds like 3DR and Sony are working on a few things together, including a 3D mapping "enterprise" version of the Solo. But I wouldn't be surprised if they are cooking something else up to announce together at NAB.

Reactions: JelleNL
Not sure what you mean by "less rolling shutter" but it sounds like 3DR and Sony are working on a few things together, including a 3D mapping "enterprise" version of the Solo. But I wouldn't be surprised if they are cooking something else up to announce together at NAB.

probably meant to say better rolling stabilization.
stabilization on this camera is fantastic, except for the roll.

well, I hope they are cooking 1" sensor camera with gimbal integration and no distortion lens, full control of shutter speed, iso, ev, built-in 3-stop nd filter, raw photos,...

Reactions: JelleNL
@EyeWingsuit When you said you recommend I try the HD vs Micro, the Micro you are referring to Black Magic Micro Camera when you said HD what camera were you referring to? Are you meaning the HD version of the BMMC over the 4K version? And what the hell is a Ninja or Odyssey?

You mentioned that ProRes blows at 4K & 8K. I've been converting all my GoPro footage to CineForm. I use a Mac mini to do all my transcoding in GoPro studio to CineForm then use Resolve for editing and colour grading on a late 2011 MacBook Pro with 16GB ram and 512MB GPU (yep I know the GPU sucks). Would you recommend using a different codec?

I also keep forgetting about H.265, would be great if the new GoPro 5 uses this? And I see your point that it will obviously be the codec of choice used for 4K and 8K and that my point of more horsepower is probably ignorant given that H.265 will be more efficient over H.264. Maybe the same computer configuration might be close to equal in decoding these codecs, meaning 1080p @ 60fps H.264 would be equal to 4K @ 60fps H.265 or roughly in the same ball park?

This is the Odyssey:
Odyssey7Q+ Monitor/Recorder

...and the Ninja:
Ninja Flame - Atomos

The Odyssey is a higher end device that can also be upgraded with the Apollo option to record dual 4K or quad HD (four simultaneous 1080 signals + liveswitch or quad-split) It records onto SSD media, has a magnesium case and weighs just over a pound. It can record all flavors of ProRes as well as RAW from certain camera systems.

Reactions: SurfnSkate81

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dachl