new gopro question

Reaction score
If what I hear is true as a filmmaker this will be amazing as heck. The go pro 5 will shoot in 8k and have 3d capabilities which combine that with solo and you have an amazing experience and for your films a nice enhancement. What are the chances it will be comparable with go pro making a drone of their own and would you need to get a new gimbal

I read the GP5 will be smaller than GP4, so a new gimbal or some sort of adapter will probably be needed.

And latest rumors peg Hero5 launch in Oct/2016 and also be included with Karma which will supposedly launch about the same time. Hope gopro survives until then. Stock is about $10/share right now down from a high of about $60/share in Aug. Might also be called the iDrone ;)

And latest rumors peg Hero5 launch in Oct/2016 and also be included with Karma which will supposedly launch about the same time. Hope gopro survives until then. Stock is about $10/share right now down from a high of about $60/share in Aug. Might also be called the iDrone ;)

I'm pretty surprise the GoPro Stock are down so low?
Considering you would think they must of had pretty good Sales in 2015 knowing every Solo Sold needs a GoPro !! So you would think that would of boost up there sales big time!!! So why are there stocks so Low..?

Just a thought

Cheers

They released a subpar camera, the Hero4 Session. The Hero5 was delayed. No new release before the holidays. New alternatives hitting the scene. Sales way down across the board (drones, sports, average Joes). They let 7% of the workforce go. Now they are waiting 9 months to release new stuff? That's a long time to hold on in their situation. They need an influx of cash, now. Who knows what they're thinking. They need to sell their entire line for about $100-150 cheaper, imo. Can't tell me they still wouldn't be profiting. I was in electronic manufacturing for quite a long time. This stuff isn't expensive to produce in the quantities that they are. They also need to give up on their drone adventure imo. That's not their forte. Its sucking talent and resources in an area where others will clearly always excel (Solo, et al). Focus on making better, smaller cameras. Open source their HeroBus with no licensing fees. Let everybody use it how they want to. Sales would skyrocket. Exclusivity limits sales in the long run.

I agree with pdxsteve they are too worried about competition even though pros and regular joes use them all the time no clue what they are thinking in terms of a drone 3dr and dji will kill that drone I hope you can get a standalone go pro 5 and an adaptor for the gimbal I assume a new gimbal might be needed though if it is able to shoot 3d a wider camera I bet too

They released a subpar camera, the Hero4 Session. The Hero5 was delayed. No new release before the holidays. New alternatives hitting the scene. Sales way down across the board (drones, sports, average Joes). They let 7% of the workforce go. Now they are waiting 9 months to release new stuff? That's a long time to hold on in their situation. They need an influx of cash, now. Who knows what they're thinking. They need to sell their entire line for about $100-150 cheaper, imo. Can't tell me they still wouldn't be profiting. I was in electronic manufacturing for quite a long time. This stuff isn't expensive to produce in the quantities that they are. They also need to give up on their drone adventure imo. That's not their forte. Its sucking talent and resources in an area where others will clearly always excel (Solo, et al). Focus on making better, smaller cameras. Open source their HeroBus with no licensing fees. Let everybody use it how they want to. Sales would skyrocket. Exclusivity limits sales in the long run.
That's very interesting ...thanks for sharing your thoughts :)

Cheers

competition? You mean, Shenzen, China.

The Hero 4 Black may be the last GoPro I fly with. I'll wave goodbye as soon as I can hang a black magic from a Solo (or any pixhawk 2 based drone) with smart shots like cable cam.

If GoPro wants to stay relevant, they'd offer an affordable hi quality 4K camera with a removable lens system that supports multiple manufacturers of pro formats. I drool over the high end drone stuff right now, but nothing under $3000 seems worth it.

Reactions: erikgraham
Its sad to see a pioneer like gopro suffering this much. But i dont like the idea of 8K nor 3D. Its more like a gimmick to me. 4K is good enough. If they want to improve, improve its FPS, make it waterproof without the case (atleast splash proof), battery life, mic quality, stabilizer, bigger sensor(less noise), pixel size (8.4 µm or bigger). Give us something that we can actually use

Reactions: Mauiwind
Blackmagic camera is quite big right?
Yeah. But there is a mini model. Light weight. Not sure if available yet. When there is a gimbal for it, it's going to be a great option. Supposedly they are working on it, along with a higher capacity battery so we can fly for more than 5 minutes.

GoPro has made some serious missteps. the hero4 black was priced too high and was a hard sell compared to the silver. they could have simply added shutter speed control and they would've had a compelling story for users outside of the 'action sports' clique. they also should have released the hero4+ this winter to tide them over until next fall. they could've even released an update with a few new features to pump some life into their flagship over the holiday season. and then the hero session. the price point set it up for instance fail. imo, they won't survive until next fall on brand recognition alone.

I'm pretty surprise the GoPro Stock are down so low?
Considering you would think they must of had pretty good Sales in 2015 knowing every Solo Sold needs a GoPro !! So you would think that would of boost up there sales big time!!! So why are there stocks so Low..?

Just a thought

Cheers
IMHO, the stock is low because of competition from Chinese action cams. The chinese had no skin in R&D and took the technology and made a way cheaper, almost comparable cam. It's kind of tough to keep a product's secrets "secret" when that product is made is the same neighborhood as the hacks.I don't care for Trump one bit, but in this case, he's right.(Where the US is a foreign customer of mfg.) They're laughing at us. ...and why? Because they can.

Reactions: erikgraham and Del
The Hero 4 Black may be the last GoPro I fly with. I'll wave goodbye as soon as I can hang a black magic from a Solo (or any pixhawk 2 based drone) with smart shots like cable cam.

All the way with the Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera, hopefully a new updated 4K model is on the cards, it's already there in a studio form.

And if GoPro are going down the 3D road again someone needs to tell them that fad has been and gone. 2016 will be the year of 4K and HDR mark my words.

Its sad to see a pioneer like gopro suffering this much. But i dont like the idea of 8K nor 3D. Its more like a gimmick to me. 4K is good enough. If they want to improve, improve its FPS, make it waterproof without the case (atleast splash proof), battery life, mic quality, stabilizer, bigger sensor(less noise), pixel size (8.4 µm or bigger). Give us something that we can actually use

8K will require some serious horsepower to work with in post.

8K will require some serious horsepower to work with in post.
Yes and most gopro user just will upload it to instagram or youtube. Just a few will really use it to record a professional cinematic movie or serious company profile. Maybe someone must remind them that they are the company of "action" cam. 8k wont make any better

Yeah. But there is a mini model. Light weight. Not sure if available yet. When there is a gimbal for it, it's going to be a great option. Supposedly they are working on it, along with a higher capacity battery so we can fly for more than 5 minutes.

10420762_10206927176671242_3030699576642144086_n.jpg

12249717_10206943508599530_6682679399173247065_n.jpg

Here is my Blackmagic MicroCinema, with the Oly 12 mm on it. It's quite small, about double the size of the GoPro. The lens is where the size/weight comes into play. No gimbal, no stabilization makes it rough for Solo ATM. I've flown this belly-mounted, zip-tied and duct-taped into place. Solo manages the weight ok, but CG mount isn't at all acceptable.

Yes and most gopro user just will upload it to instagram or youtube. Just a few will really use it to record a professional cinematic movie or serious company profile. Maybe someone must remind them that they are the company of "action" cam. 8k wont make any better

You do know we use GoPro in many, many 5K productions, yes? Ironman 3, Transformers 2/3, Hyena Road, Kingsmen, etc all have had GoPro footage in them. It's a PITA to match/correct to a RED or Arri, but that's really not the point. Sometimes a crash cam is called for, and sometimes a camera is desired in places where it's not practical to mount a full-bodied camera.
8K at the right compression will be better indeed, and allow for a very wide, very viable post-process ability. 8K isn't important just yet, but it is the next thing.
Sony has an 8K camera ready to roll quite soon.
sony8k.jpg

Here is the film version:
f65-camera-tab1-2.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela