Is this the GPS Firmware Bug? Yikes!

Beat me to it and you are correct Ray , good call.

Seems to have better intentions here than elsewhere so I won't say this for sure. Guess we'll see.

Reactions: Raybro
No, the other one you mentioned.:D
You asked if he owned a Solo.
Yeah, I think he is trolling as well.
When you tell anyone with a different opinion that their opinion isn't valid, it takes you right under the bridge (troll territory).
I was accused of trolling once on here for cross posting from another forum, so I just wanted to clarify. I don't consider cross posint to be a form of trolling, but someone did. Anyway, thanks for responding and answering my question.

It happened so fast, I can't honestly say I know what happened, but I assumed it was loss of satellites. I was doing not-terribly-precise, figure-eights in my backyard, a few feet above the ground, when the Solo pitched violently from side to side, and then darted away. It was unexpected, and lasted for maybe two seconds. My brain wasn't quick enough to think about Pause or anything else. I just instinctively pulled back on the right stick. But the Solo continued moving forward.

The Solo's behavior wasn't attributable to wind. That I do know.

I concur with Sarah, the Solo took off so fast in my case there is nothing the pilot can do about the flyaway. And, I'm not sure the pilot can do anything to gain control.

Robert at DIYdrones analyzed my Solo log files and said '
If you rename remove the .2 extension on the solo.tlog.2 file it can be replayed and plotted using mission planner. Doing this shows that the GPS thought it was moving away from the house to the NE, which caused the copter to pitch back and fly SW into the house.

The navigation data shows that there was a growing inconsistency between the GPS and inertial data at the time so all of this points to a GPS glitch.

Brake mode is selected together with forward stick after it starts moving, so the pilot responded correctly.'

In my case, 3dr did confirm my flyaway was due to GPS glitch.

Reactions: Sarah B
I'm convinced my mini-flyaway was attributable to loss of GPS, as well. I don't remember exactly, but I probably only had six or seven satellites, and lost one too many. Like you, I'm not clear why Solo didn't hover, like a Phantom does when satellites are lost, but hopefully that's been addressed by the latest firmware.

I've had several flights since, and no issues at all. Today, I flew two batteries at 200 ft. high and 600 ft. out. Everything was smooth, and totally under control. I think the secret is not to take off without a minimum of eight or nine satellites.

I'm convinced my mini-flyaway was attributable to loss of GPS, as well. I don't remember exactly, but I probably only had six or seven satellites, and lost one too many. Like you, I'm not clear why Solo didn't hover, like a Phantom does when satellites are lost, but hopefully that's been addressed by the latest firmware.

I've had several flights since, and no issues at all. Today, I flew two batteries at 200 ft. high and 600 ft. out. Everything was smooth, and totally under control. I think the secret is not to take off without a minimum of eight or nine satellites.

Hoping the update fixed this as well and I totally agree that more satellites initially makes all the difference. I had two situations in areas that although clear above had woods on the sides, I've never had a problem here before but did get the sudden hard veer to the left with solo. Luckily I still had control and pushed right and back toward me and saved it on both but one I overdid it to the right then had to steady and the second time I was more ready and even let up a bit and it was still determined to go left until out of that spot in my yard.

Thankfully it seems like that's been fixed for me at least, that was very early flights and I've had at least 20 or more flawless flights since.

Reactions: Sarah B
Ok, so as noob as noob can get.. both in solo or anything RC for that matter.

I ordered my solo 4/16 from B&H and read everything I could posted here and many other forums.
I received mine June 30ish did the update without issue and did this:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Too scared to run out a battery.

After getting ANSI I took it up home... no issues, trees and all. 150ft look around, down.. put it away.

The 4th. Family over.

10ft buzz around, up to 65ft (just above the trees/house barn).. hover.. move forward..

Jerks left, flips 180dg. Into the tree tops crashes to the ground.
So quick I could not possibly react..

A+B+pause.

Broken props.

Here is the really weird part. One Prop ok, 2 props broken one by half the other both blades , screw still on solo, and the last black? Nowhere to be found. I mean NOWHERE. I hand plenty of family looking around the yard... nope. In the Tree?

So ok, I should not have flown with all those trees around (Barn/House) within 60ft etc.
But I was above all that when it flipped out?

Is it possible the blade came off and caused it to flip?
Sure seemed like it...

No, I didn't submit a ticket (is it still possible?)

And I'm one black blade short of flying in a proper place. (unless it falls out of the tree)
Speaking of which, are the CF props that selling for the P2 work?
They say 9.4 x 4.3.
Do they fit?

I haven't even burned one battery, never got out of turtle mode , I've already crashed, and I love this thing.

What's wrong with me?

At about 1:45 minutes into this Youtube video a Solo, apparently being flown by a 3DR employee seems to takes on a mind of its own, resulting in a close quarters crash, and almost some injuries.

Is this the so called 'firmware' or 'GPS' bug I've heard of?

Best,
Gary
It wasn't the wind, like she was saying. Please! Something obviously went very wrong.

Rik

Man that's no fun I doubt the cf props will fit, oddly enough i checked just to see and I can get my solo props onto p2 but can't get p2 props onto solo. Threads same but solo has a wide shaft under the thread that's probably to avoid people doing this, more than likely it would have bad results anyway since they are different size and I'm sure pitch although I didn't actually check.

Well if you at least snugged the props up they are supposed to stay tight being the self tightening ones, that said stranger things have happened. If you think this was caused by solo and not user error or even if your just unsure you can submit a ticket and they'll check it out and at least let you know one way or the other what happened. You can actually check the logs yourself as well but if you just started your probably better off sending them to 3dr.

Veering to the left has happened to me and others before the update last week but mine seems to be ok since then, the issues from one solo to the next have varied a lot and just cause it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean I'm home free so it's worth sending in your logs. Is anything but the props hurt, best buy seems to have a decent stock of props most places now 2 for 15 bucks. Worse 3dr can say is it was something you did and you'll have to pay for the props or fix what's broke.

If you do fly it again be very cautious and test everything at low altitude before you head up as the crash could easily knock things loose. At very least do a compass and level calibration, it's all in the manual how to do it and most likely needs it now.

It's interesting that you think your prop flew off. If it did that means that you didn't tighten it enough. Veering left is the "my solo wacked out" norm. You can still send your logs in and BB should have props.

Thanks guys-

After your posts I looked @ the solo just to check it out and the GoProholder was a little undone ( rubber mounts went inside)

Took it apart, reassemble, went through all the get ready to fly-
Motors seem good, all else normal.

With all the family looking on I'm not sure I snugged up the props proper.
Guess I assumed the self tighten would happen at start, certainly when I was tooling around @ 10ft.
Would they not fall off at take off if it was gonna happen @ all?

In any case I took your advice and spilled my guts to 3dr along with the logs, and yea, ordered three pairs of props from BB..

So ok, I should not have flown with all those trees around (Barn/House) within 60ft etc.

Why? You did nothing wrong. If you cant fly around things like that then you wont be able to fly anywhere.

Call 3DR. There is history in your logs, let them analyze it.

Reactions: RikMiddle
There have been reports of self tightening props coming off in mid flight on both the Phantoms and the Yuneec Q500. Both Yuneec and DJI include a prop wrench, and advice you tighten props with it prior to flying. Since 3DR didn't include a wrench, I make sure they are really hand tight before flying.

There have been reports of self tightening props coming off in mid flight on both the Phantoms and the Yuneec Q500. Both Yuneec and DJI include a prop wrench, and advice you tighten props with it prior to flying. Since 3DR didn't include a wrench, I make sure they are really hand tight before flying.
Yes, I always hand tighten. After hearing about the Phantom props coming off, I started doing that. I still don't understand how they could come off.

Yes, I always hand tighten. After hearing about the Phantom props coming off, I started doing that. I still don't understand how they could come off.
I don't understand how they come off either, they should just get tighter, right? In fact when people started reporting the issue on the Phantom forums I thought they were crazy. But then the Q500s started having the same issue. Now I believe. I don't understand, but I believe...lol.

Ok, so as noob as noob can get.. both in solo or anything RC for that matter.

I ordered my solo 4/16 from B&H and read everything I could posted here and many other forums.
I received mine June 30ish did the update without issue and did this:

Too scared to run out a battery.

After getting ANSI I took it up home... no issues, trees and all. 150ft look around, down.. put it away.

The 4th. Family over.

10ft buzz around, up to 65ft (just above the trees/house barn).. hover.. move forward..

Jerks left, flips 180dg. Into the tree tops crashes to the ground.
So quick I could not possibly react..

A+B+pause.

Broken props.

Here is the really weird part. One Prop ok, 2 props broken one by half the other both blades , screw still on solo, and the last black? Nowhere to be found. I mean NOWHERE. I hand plenty of family looking around the yard... nope. In the Tree?

But I was above all that when it flipped out?

Is it possible the blade came off and caused it to flip?
Sure seemed like it...

No, I didn't submit a ticket (is it still possible?)

And I'm one black blade short of flying in a proper place. (unless it falls out of the tree)
Speaking of which, are the CF props that selling for the P2 work?
They say 9.4 x 4.3.
Do they fit?

I haven't even burned one battery, never got out of turtle mode , I've already crashed, and I love this thing.

What's wrong with me?
I would submit a ticket. They may be able to tell you what happened. I would want to know. Good luck and Happy Flying,
Ray

Why? You did nothing wrong. If you cant fly around things like that then you wont be able to fly anywhere.

Call 3DR. There is history in your logs, let them analyze it.

Yea, sure would be nice to fly on my couple of acres here @ home..
I have zero neighbors and I'm surrounded by cranberry bogs, woods and a lake. (Pond)
I was scared before I took my 1st flight, now I'm petrified.
I submitted a ticket.
I'll post the reply.

Hope BB comes through with the props for this weekend.
I have a show on a farm

Reactions: rrmccabe

I would be happy if that was indeed the case.
The uncertainty of flying with a bird with a bad attitude and unpredictable temper makes for a lot of stress and whole lot less fun.
For sure I'll be snugging them uptight from now on.

I have had the same issue several time where it's flying fine with the gps even though it may only find seven satellites or more. It will say lost signal and then fly where it wants to fast even though I have it se in slow mode for more accurate flight. I have updated everything but in the areas that I fly filming my car dealership, this can be very costly. I am afraid to do any of the mods (gps spacing the chip from the copper or hacking the system to extend range so I don't void the warranty. All I need is a really strong signal normally no higher than 200 feet and 1,000 feet away. I see the great antenna packs attached to the front of the radio but they are al out as big as the radio itself therefore making the radio, iPhone 6+ and antenna a cumbersome package to maintain in front with a lanyard that is short and can't balance the weight to be comfortable. Almost need a front baby carrier. Any help besides building abase?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44