stop modifying solo GPS !

2016-10-16 09.00.13.png
The Solo´s firmware doesn´t have the parameter to enable more GNSS, because it is designed to fly with the Hardware given and this is with just one GPS constellation.
But if you change the Hardware to a device which can receive concurrent GNSS´s Solo Software will receive more sats - that means you don´t need the Parameter to enable more constellations.
This is a parameter inside the M8, you can receive 3 concurrent GNSS´s at a time, it will triangulate the right coordinates and send them via NMEA to the Software (be it Arducopter or Solo)
If you have Arducopter on your Pixhawk, you could change that Parameter and Arducopter will send a command via NMEA to the M8 and it will change it´s constellation.
No need to change anything on Solo (or Arducopter) side.
Just ensure you have the latest Ublox firmware installed on your m8n and you have the best corresponding GNSS set for your region in the U-center software. Eg GPS, Glonass and Galileo in the western part of the world,or GPS, Glonass and Beidou in greater China region.
I enjoy up to 25 sats with Solo and up to 28 sats with my Pixhawk DIY drone at hdop <0.5 (due to a larger antenna than the one I have inside Solo).
To the OP: Performance (stability, time to fix, flying in obscured areas) is dimensions better than the stock GPS, which is by no means state of the art.

Last edited:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

oke guys like i promised before, i making a looong looooong video duration about this
cauntion!! please drink two bottles of coffee before you watch this video
if you sleep during watching this video is totally your fault :)

the actor was suck have terrible speach even my little daughter can speach more fasters then he was but he is very handsome! at least his wife said so when he bought neckless and give it to her :)

actually i'm a funny guy please don't to hard on me guys :(

i'm out of here guys *so many mistake i've done with create this thread* my bad please accept my apologies and forget i ever create this thread

but before i leave this forum please take a note
1. i'm not telling anyone to update they solo with arducopter firmware, i dont wont too either but in my case i have too (i explain it on video) it because i burn entire esc on solo when it crash and motor doesn't stop until battery died (1 hour until i can find solo) so i've to replace entire esc with littlebee 30Amp and replace firmware to arducopter due to change esc, if you do that without purpose yes you are foolish :)
2. i'm just comparing both solo with same h/w but with different firmware, in my experience why the result is different
3. i never said m8n is suck, yes there is a lot of improvement comparing m7 but not that good as when m8n plug on my old solo (instantly got 10 satelite on 1st boot, unbelieveable)
4. i'm take it back my personal assumtion about this, please assume it with your own.

good luck guys :(

Please don't equate number of GPS to quality of data. If the signal is bounced, it is bad signal which actually degrade the data quality. Please report the time to reach certain hdop value from cold start.

A cold start is power up a drone that has been in storage for a week or longer or in new location several hundred miles away from previous launch location.

But if you change the Hardware to a device which can receive concurrent GNSS´s Solo Software will receive more sats - that means you don´t need the Parameter to enable more constellations.
This is a parameter inside the M8, you can receive 3 concurrent GNSS´s at a time,

Yes, but if the M8N doesn't have the other GNSS systems enabled in it's configuration, and the Solo doesn't have the parameter to enable them on startup, does that not mean you could have an M8N that's still only using one system? Galileo was only enabled on the 3.x Ublox firmware, and you have to specifically enable it in UCenter... unless you're using it with a flight controller firmware that can enable it itself. In other words, you can update your M8N to the latest firmware that supports Galileo, but since Solo lacks the parameter to enable it, you won't see that constellation unless you specifically enable it in UCenter.

So my point was that depending on the configuration of the various components, you can see a potentially big difference using it on the stock Solo firmware vs. straight Arducopter. Just too many variables in the OP's configuration(s) to conclusively say that an M8N isn't a worthwhile upgrade.

Please report the time to reach certain hdop value from cold start.

First start on the mRo GPS, which had surly sat at least a week between manufacture, sale, shipping and instillation, received enough satellites and had a low enough HDOP for the Solo app to allow takeoff INSIDE my house... in about the same time as the stock GPS typically took to be flight ready outside in an open field with a wide open view of the sky.

I agree that simply receiving more satellites doesn't = a better position fix... but there's no denying, the stock Solo GPS was/is a lackluster performer. I'm not saying it's BAD, but it's nowhere near as good as the mRo M8N. Every flight on the M8N has an HDOP of between .6 to .8, where the Solo was rarely below 1.6, and many times I had to take off in manual and climb up 50+ feet to get enough satellites/low enough HDOP to enable a GPS assisted flight mode. The fact that 3DR redesigned the GPS (Rev B), and then offered more robust shielding for the Rev A, says pretty clearly that there were flaws in the design that effected it's performance.

I have been trying to launch my Solo with GPS lock 15 feet away from a 5 story bldg on a deck on top of the 2nd floor (in a row of 5 story buildings). If you are familiar with Brooklyn brownstone neighborhoods you can picture this. There are buildings in every direction. About 150 feet down the block is a 15 story building blocking the eastern sky significantly. This is a heavily occluded sky situation. Tried installing the new shielding from 3DR and still couldn't get lock. I just installed this mRo GPS u-Blox Neo-M8N (Release 2) (M8N) and got lock in less time than the original GPS in an open field. If you have a partially occluded sky situation the M8N replacement is a very viable fix. Thank you mRo.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig