This got me a bit worried...

Reaction score
Ok, so one motor was going bad, bearings. Switched to a new pod. Then off to floating around, testing and since gps was taking more than 10 seconds to acquire, on to manual mode. Floating, floating... suddenly gps-signal was found. Damn that scared me! Video:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Close call, all power was cut from motors at that moment... should this be called a bug in the software (2.4), thing has never done this before.

Sorry about that sh*tty yard of ours. :)

10 seconds, why are people in such a hurry to get in the air?
its your bird man, but I never take off without a lock

as for it being a bug, yes I am pretty sure it was reported allready

Done this many times, easy to float up in the air to get better signal... when it's not windy. But, the point is that acquiring signal and cutting power from motors, that was new to me.

second paragraph in my reply above
pretty sure it was reported but I would submit a ticket

second paragraph in my reply above
pretty sure it was reported but I would submit a ticket

Yeah yeah, just read some other threads and seems like it has been reported. Scary moments though. :p

Yeah yeah, just read some other threads and seems like it has been reported. Scary moments though. :p

Reported and apparently still unresolved.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention Olli.

I had this exact thing happen for the second time, this evening. So, it's cutting power when it gets a lock? That would line up with what I saw. I took off in Fly:Manual just to hover a bit while I waited for it to get a lock. Then it went to idle, I punched the throttle, it came within about 4" of crashing into the pavement, I landed, and had a lock. Sketchy.

Yep, reported known bug in arducopter and the consequently the 2.4 solo firmware. Me thinks I'll stay on 2.3 for now....

Still a nice upgrade for the MP and other fixes, particularly for experienced fliers. Either have a lock before takeoff or anticipate the drop. I have not seen the bug yet myself due to the fact it has been locking rather quickly.

Reactions: Solo Keith
Still a nice upgrade for the MP and other fixes, particularly for experienced fliers. Either have a lock before takeoff or anticipate the drop. I have not seen the bug yet myself due to the fact it has been locking rather quickly.

Yep, I'll wait for lock until bug is fixed. With some altitude that drop could be easily corrected while hovering stationary (2 meters was just too close). But... what would happen, if Solo is in forward or sideward motion, when tilted forward or to side? Won't test that. :D

You can wait for that particular bug to be fixed, but you can bet there will be new ones in the next version. Not a single 3dr app has been released bug free. I don't know who does their beta testing, but they pretty much suck. It's beyond me how some of this obvious stuff makes it into a release time and time again.

Then there's the fact that 3DR never releases a manual when the new features come out. Many people crash because their solo no longer acts the same as it did in the previous version - with no explanation whatsoever.

Reactions: Maddog
When 3DR finds and fixes a bug after an update is released, does another update need to be released to fix the bug?
Or can the "fix" be sent out without us knowing and be installed in the background?

When 3DR finds and fixes a bug after an update is released, does another update need to be released to fix the bug?
Or can the "fix" be sent out without us knowing and be installed in the background?
It will be a firmware update via the Solo App that probably looks something like 2.4.1. There may also be an App update from the play store / apple store, but this sounds more like a firmware thing.

No, thankfully. You have to be aware to upgrade since you have to switch between WiFi anyway as it will likely be a FW update.

Yep, I'll wait for lock until bug is fixed. With some altitude that drop could be easily corrected while hovering stationary (2 meters was just too close). But... what would happen, if Solo is in forward or sideward motion, when tilted forward or to side? Won't test that. :D
I did.
This is not a problem as long you are more than 2-3 meters off the ground and have your hands on the sticks- what you as a good pilot should do anyway when flying. ;)

Why wasn't it found in beta? Speaking for myself, I took off to a higher altitude when I tried manual w/o GPS lock and likely did not even notice the drop by a few inches when I got a GPS lock in the air.

testers tend to be more feature oriented and can often miss just normal flying around bugs
never seen a beta test get them all.
This is a nasty one though

How many remember the have to face it north to arm error

New update sucks. It's dangerous.Mine does all of the above. I sent in a ticket and got the standard reply asking for photos of the damage and on and on. There was no damage, didn't crash, thanks to my pilot skills and luck. They know about it and should have just leveled with me and suggested a fix, even if it was just "this is how you revert back to last version". Can I revert? anybody?

have to disagree, the new update is working well for me.
Zipline is crazy cool. Follow me is much better

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks