The ethics of going "rogue" with the drone

Reaction score
Southern Maryland has to be one of the worst places in the country to own a drone. I live under multiple air restrictions. Since it appears that drones are prohibited from state parks and public land use and management areas, I am facing a several hour drive to another state to find a place to fly.

Its been 7 weeks since I've flown. I managed 4 simple flights when it was new....before I got wind of this air restriction mess. Now that I know better, I can't find anywhere to fly. The few square feet of unrestricted air space even remotely close to me is over private property.

I have been seriously contemplating going "rogue" with the drone. By this I mean, launching from the bed of my pickup along side of a public road and flying over private land (in unrestricted air space of course). I'm talking about meadows, forests, marshes, etc, (not houses, neighborhoods or buildings etc). I'm not sure of the ethics involved with this. If the drone goes down, I'll have to trespass to get it back. Other than that, no one would know I was there. Being a state employee, I really don't want to push my luck on state property.

What do you guys think?

Normally I would not think about doing this, but, desperation is clouding my mind. I have a three week long trip to Chincoteague Bay coming in 2 weeks and I have never even tried a smart shot yet!! My big trip starts in Oct, and I was hoping to have some experience under my belt first.

Have you tried calling the air traffic control for any of these areas and asking if it was alright for you to fly? One of the places I fly is in the football shaped section of two overlapping airport circles over a golf course in the middle of town (I fly before tee times start while they are mowing). I call the airports in question when I want to fly and tell them I plan to do some flights at no higher than 150 feet. That is high enough to get me over any trees and other obstacles with room for error. I mostly stay under 100 but it gives me options and they usually say it's fine. Start by getting permission from a landowner somewhere and then ask the control tower/towers for that area for permission to fly that location.

Is there not a a large school around with athletic fields that are not in constant use or a municipal park with unused soccer fields? How about unused/abandoned industrial sites? Have you looked from above with Google Earth?

If none of those are available, I would do as you mentioned without worrying too much about it. Keep the Solo close until you know it is working correctly then go for it.

I feel your pain, but I'm pretty sure Chincoteague is blanketed with airspace restrictions. Military.

I think your gonna have to bite the bullet and phone up some airports. They will very likely have no issues.

This may seem similar to a previous post of mine, but I want to differentiate it. The other post was about my confusion over air space restrictions. A few nice folks here set me straight and provided me with lots of reference material. I learned a lot. (including calling the FAA (FSOD) when trying to film in restricted areas on my survey).

Using my new info, I concentrated my efforts on the narrow unrestricted corridor of land between the large air restriction over me and the one over Washington DC to find a place to fly. I concentrated on the few public lands and state parks in this strip first...only to find out it is prohibited. Bummer. I know from personal experience that being on any school grounds after hours is considered trespassing , at least in this county. (Found this out during my boomerang and roller hockey phases.) This leaves me with pretty much only private land.

Most of this private land is in the 7th district. This is known locally at a very rough place to go. Mostly farmers with thick accents, a well established "good ol'boy" network, and a dislike for outsiders. Not the kind of place to go randomly knocking on doors.

I'm just looking for a place to practice. If I have to call someone every time I put a battery in the solo, I guess its time to give up the drone dream

I feel your pain, but I'm pretty sure Chincoteague is blanketed with airspace restrictions. Military.

I think your gonna have to bite the bullet and phone up some airports. They will very likely have no issues.

I've studied the maps of Chincoteague Bay. There are a lot of restrictions there too. Stay north of Wallops Island secret rocket base (I say it that way because it doesn't show up on any map). Also the Ocean City airport covers northern Sinepuxent Bay. Worst of all, all of Assateague Island is a national park which is prohibited. So much for Chincoteague pony shots..lol. I picked a restriction free spot by Milles Island were I can wade ashore and launch from the marsh.

Also, I have no problems calling for permission during the survey. I'm just looking for a peaceful place to practice before hand.

Last edited:
Worst of all, all of Assateague Island is a national park which is prohibited.
Well, that just means you can't take off or land in the park, but you can fly over it... not that I've ever tested that (nor will I ever try). Even if you did manage to take off and land outside the park, they'd still probably get you for harassing the ponies or other wildlife.

Where in southern Maryland? How far from Salisbury? I *might* know a place.

I'm on the western shore of the Chesapeake Bay in St. Mary's county. The Patuxent River Naval Air Test Center is my thorn in the side.
Salisbury is 3.5 hours away on the eastern shore. A lot of the air restriction I'm under extends all the way to Salisbury (though it only covers most of the west side of town).

I'd almost be willing to fly over Assateague if I saw a large group of ponies. Having to try to launch from a boat will ultimately keep me honest ..lol
I have a Nikon D810 w/600mm lens for the ponies.:)

I'm on the western shore of the Chesapeake Bay in St. Mary's county. The Patuxent River Naval Air Test Center is my thorn in the side.
Salisbury is 3.5 hours away on the eastern shore. A lot of the air restriction I'm under extends all the way to Salisbury (though it only covers most of the west side of town).

I'd almost be willing to fly over Assateague if I saw a large group of ponies. Having to try to launch from a boat will ultimately keep me honest ..lol
I have a Nikon D810 w/600mm lens for the ponies.:)
Too bad. I known a private land owner near Salisbury with a lot of land. Marshes, creeks, forest, and of course farm land. It's quite beautiful.

Interesting. Washington DC has the most restricted air space in the entire country. Google "drone, Washington DC". All the results say that DC is a No Drone Zone. Despite this information (or is it disinformation?) you are able to fly in DC.... I do believe you!

I'm just trying to sort urban legend from fact. I've had folks tell me I could fly on the navy base if I wanted too, others tell me I'd be arrested just for trying. Who is right?

This brings me back to my original question from the 1st post. How in the F*@#! do you know where someone can fly?

The DC area has numerous different restrictions you have to be cognizant of. Only one of them is a flat out no-fly area.

The FRZ is about a 15 mile radius around National Airport. This encompasses the entirety of Washington DC, as well as chunks of the surrounding counties and cities within the radius. The FRZ explicitly prohibits model aircraft, sUAS, model rockets, etc.

The SFRA is the next ring, which extends to about a 30 mile radius around National Airport. Model aircraft, sUAS, model rockets, etc are explicitly permitted. However, you have to be cognizant of changes. When there is some big high profile dog and pony show in DC, sometimes SFRA gets closed down.

There is a prohibited area around Camp David. Don't go there.

There are numerous "Restricted" areas, noted by R-##### on an aviation sectional. These are usually around military operation areas. They are not necessarily restricted 24/7. They either have a schedule, or you have to check with them prior to entering. If it isn't hot, it is no different than any other open airspace. If it is hot, you may accidentally get hit by artillery fire or an SM3.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apicasso