Is this the GPS Firmware Bug? Yikes!

Almost need a front baby carrier. Any help besides building abase?
I'll answer this question... Harness example only, there are others.

The other question....
Make sure you have GPS lock prior to taking off.
Make sure all firmware is up to date.
Don't start Solo on or near metal objects that could effect compass.
Have the A or B button set to Manual in case of loss of GPS
Learn to fly in Manual Mode, practice in open area
If GPS continues to be an issue, then have fixed or use suggested remedies here.
Tlogs are your friend and so is 3DR...

I have had the same issue several time where it's flying fine with the gps even though it may only find seven satellites or more. It will say lost signal and then fly where it wants to fast even though I have it se in slow mode for more accurate flight. I have updated everything but in the areas that I fly filming my car dealership, this can be very costly. I am afraid to do any of the mods (gps spacing the chip from the copper or hacking the system to extend range so I don't void the warranty. All I need is a really strong signal normally no higher than 200 feet and 1,000 feet away. I see the great antenna packs attached to the front of the radio but they are al out as big as the radio itself therefore making the radio, iPhone 6+ and antenna a cumbersome package to maintain in front with a lanyard that is short and can't balance the weight to be comfortable. Almost need a front baby carrier. Any help besides building abase?
That doesn't sound like GPS. That sounds like loss of radio signal. Does the tablet say Return to Home? The log files would tell us for sure.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply(s). I always wait to make sure that the gps has more than 7 satellites showing before I take off even if it says ready to fly at a lower #. I believe it may be may be the radio signal more than the gps. But when I fly and it loses signal and shows returning home, there should be more of a delay or a pause before it attempts to return home. Normally I can pause or get manual fly mode before it hits something but if I am near anything in an open area and it takes control of itself to fly away at loss of signal, gps or low battery it could crash into something or someone. When I am filming with it, I need to get relatively close to the area or objects to get the shots I need. This is a little stressful when anything can happen. I have completed the updates recently and have not seen a difference. I finally got the vim all today and will try it out tomorrow and see how everything will work. thanks again, fly safe!

Normally I can pause or get manual fly mode before it hits something but if I am near anything in an open area and it takes control of itself to fly away at loss of signal, gps or low battery it could crash into something or someone. !

I don't understand this. If it is doing and RTH, it has GPS. It can't RTH without it, and loss of GPS will not cause the Solo to RTH. When it does lose the radio connection (and has GPS) it will RTH, which is the last place it got a GPS lock. if you waited for "Fly" before you took offf, that GPS lock will be where it took off. This is not a "fly away" and it is for safety. In the software, you can set the RTH height. You should set it at at least 100 ft. I set mine for 200ft. If the copter is lower than the RTH height and it does an RTH, it will rise to that height and reurn to home. if it is higher, it will just return home. Likewise, if the battery gets low (without a signal loss) it will RTH for safety.

This "should keep you from crashing, and will land the craft. It shouldn't make you crash. If you regain connection while it is flying back, the controller will let you know by buzzing, and if you have audible alerts on (highly recomended) by telling you. at that point you can hit the "fly" button and retake control.

The only time this doesn't happen is if you lose GPS, in which case it will go into "manual" which can drifft laterally, because it has no way off knowing where it is laterally. Everyone should practice flying manual so it isn't a surprise and panic when it happens. It takes a little practice, but it isn't hard.

I do understand. Filming requires that you get close to buildings, under a tree canopy, etc. If you are in a position to lose GPS, you should be close, and you should be ready to take contraol in an instant. If Solo loses GPS, it will go into manula, which will control the height, but wonlt conrol the horizontal location. You will need to control this. It is a littloe bit like controling the Solo in Fly mode, if it were on a mound of ice... It will want to slip off....

If it does an RTH and is around people it will go straight up first (to the RTH height) which should keep it (and people) safe, and if it loses GPS it will hover at the height it lost GPS, but will just drift with the wind. In either case it won't fly away, so as I said I don't quite understand what is happening to yours.

Thank you for your message. I agree, there should be better response if it loses gps and goes into manual mode. I am not sure about the issue I seem to have with the SOLO but will reset the system and take it one step at a time for there. I will correct the rth height and now that I finally got the gimbal, I can make much better shots. Thanks again for your help.

Thank you for your message. I agree, there should be better response if it loses gps and goes into manual mode. I am not sure about the issue I seem to have with the SOLO but will reset the system and take it one step at a time for there. I will correct the rth height and now that I finally got the gimbal, I can make much better shots. Thanks again for your help.
Not sure what else it could do without GPS. At that pint it has barometer and compass, so it can keep orientation and altitude, and that's what it does. I'm not sure you actually have a problem with the Solo. You may be misunderstanding how it is supposed to behave under certain circumstances.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44