GoPro Studio made my file x4 larger (Mac)

Reaction score
Did I Miss Something Here? I imported a 2 minute video into GoPro Studio to test the Fisheye removal, it came out a .mov file x4 larger (from 850mb to 3.76gb). And now Quicktime what's to convert it before I watch it, which is taking forever. This can't be right, can it?

couple things, check your settings on the advanced object to see if it is on highest
but remember the video on the camera is extremely compressed
what resolution are you shooting, and did you go all the way through to export?

I recorded at 1080, 60 fps, output was the same. I was hoping to get a mp4 in lieu of the mov file.

couple things, check your settings on the advanced object to see if it is on highest
but remember the video on the camera is extremely compressed
what resolution are you shooting, and did you go all the way through to export?

Did you export your project?
sounds like you might be looking at the clip you edited before the final export
In step 2 of Studio, you are working with the edited segments from your raw movie.
(this is after you hit convert) but before you do export
those files in the middle will be AVI or MOV, and are huge.

I am not sure, but It sounds like you need to do the export step

@divemasterphil Sounds like you have converted the clips to the GoPro CineForm codec. That is why Quicktime wants to convert it before playback. As @pyrate mentioned you can export your clip back into H.264. If you are using another NLE (FCPX, Premiere, Vegas etc) in your workflow then CineForm codec will be less processor intensive when compared to H.264 when editing those clips to create your output video/movie. There are some great threads on here that cover different workflows and codecs if you want more information.

Side note; .mov is a container (think 'paper bag') that can hold a great deal of merchandise including .mp4. .MOV is not a codec nor a format.
And yes, you likely converted/transcoded to Cineform, a far better quality editing codec, but harder for apple to manage.

Hi Phil,

GoPro Studio was originally developed by Cineform, before GoPro bought Cineform.
Cineform specialized in intermediate codec when computers were still "slow" and expensive.

If you use GoPro Protune and setting white balance in Native and Color in Flat, the power of Cineform codec will be most useful. Yes, its very big file when transcoding from GoPro MP4 to Cineform mov, because its so much less compressed and its a 10 bit file.

If you are a Dive Master as in a diver, it is very hard to beat the ease of color correction a Protune + WB Native + Color Flat for underwater video. Underwater video is the worst of the worst when in comes to original color being destroyed by water depth. It takes time to practice but the freebie GoPro Studio as a color correction software is easy to use. I only use GP Studio for the sole purpose of color correction of UW video. For land video I do not mix much between different cameras, so I do not ever need GP Studio transcoding feature. I also do not use GP Studio for editing, its too simple a tool and not flexible enough :)

Even though GoPro original MP4 is an 8 bit file, when being transcoded it becomes a 10 bit file and you have finer adjustment to play with. Its like having setting of 256 levels of shades to suddenly becoming 1,024 levels.
Surely starting with a 10 bit camera native is better, but this is not bad at all for a freebie and its actually a professional codec that Cineform is.

The true beauty for me using Cineform is, it is the only free of charge codec I know ( my knowledge is limited ), which you can mess with original file colors and that original file remains a "virgin" file forever. Other files when you start messing with the color, you can only get to see the final result after rendering, not for Cineform. GoPro Studio also works parallel with other video editors, example Vegas Pro in real time. Mess with color in GP Studio, the result immediately visible on Vegas Pro. Mess with the color as many times as you want, Cineform file remains virgin while the colors already changed.

Have fun editing....

SPP, I was just watching some videos on color correcting some dive videos earlier. Look like I can ditch the red filter and just correct it in editing. I also like GP Studio ability to take out the fisheye.

I'll be playing with it more this weekend.

Thanks for the info.

Hi Phil,

Have fun editing....

out of topic...............sorry
If you are diving 10 meters and deeper, use the glass version of SRP cyan filter ( red filter :) ). Its by URPro.
Set the protune + WB native + Flat. Cyan filter still does help.
I am speaking of water viz average 15-20 meters.

If you have 30 meters viz, Protune can assist without cyan filter up to approx 20 meters water depth.
Cyan filter takes out approx 1 F stop. Avoid PolarPro, its red too fake.

WB stability when protune is used is VERY good for a simple cam like GP. When you shoot sun-ball using protune vs AWB non protune, you will see less color shift when protune is used.

Dive safe....

Last edited:
second that, I am pretty good color correcting in PP
but honestly a red SRP filter is still a divers best friend.
I keep one on my GP hero black 3 diving

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44