Remove Fisheye of a Pic in GP Studio

Reaction score
I really haven't messed with GP Studio since I first downloaded it a year or so ago because it seemed very counter-intuitive and buggy. However, I was looking for a cheap way to rectify pictures from the GoPro and thought I'd give Studio another shot for two reasons - 1. It's made by the camera manufacturer, so the assumption is the profile used would be right, and 2. It's free!

It appears that it only produces videos, however. Is this true? Can I not get a rectified picture output from Studio? And if not, what software could I use to accurately remove fisheye from a picture? I have been using Cyberlink Power Director for video, and they have a software called Photo Director that has a fisheye removal tool, but I'm sure it doesn't exactly fit the GP profile. Any pointers?

You're correct. It will remove fisheye nicely from video. But it does not have any photo editing or correcting features. For basic video editing, it is actually quite powerful for a free product.

OK - so do you know of any free (or nearly so) programs that can accurately remove fisheye from a GPH3+ Black?

I don't have GP Studio any longer but I thought you could import a pic just like you can a video. Then there's a selection to remove fisheye. Can anybody verify this?

I'm using Power Director 13 and it can't, so I use ProDrenalin to remove fisheye, and stabilize if needed. It's normally about $49 but if you contact them and tell them you are a forum member you might still be able to get it for $29.

I downloaded the free Davinci but it was so complex I gave up on it. Not familiar with GML.

You can import a picture, but it doesn't process it like it does with video. It would end up being a 5 second long video of the still image for example.

Unfortunately, DaVinci Resolve would not run on my machine (needs CUDA hardware acceleration), so I went with the GML Image Undistorter. It has a focal length (in mm) value to do adjustments. Does anyone know what I should use there to get perfectly flat pics? I want to try and feed these into some 3D rendering software and they must be flat.

I've heard good things about DroneDeploy.

Another option is to change your camera to medium field of view, then in Tower select a GoPro Hero3 in medium FOV. The images will be a lot flatter.

OK - so do you know of any free (or nearly so) programs that can accurately remove fisheye from a GPH3+ Black?

You got your answer and you own the software. It is in GoPro Studio.

In step 1, import your images. One will appear in the main window.
Click the advanced settings at the bottom of the screen

This screen will appear

Remove-Fisheye.jpg

See the remove Fisheye button. Make sure it is selected as in the photo. Once you render the file out, it will not have the fisheye.

It doesn't get any easier than this. Good Luck

You can import a picture, but it doesn't process it like it does with video. It would end up being a 5 second long video of the still image for example.

Actually, you can make a single frame movie, which is what I did here. Then I brought it into Photoshop and exported a jpeg. You can do the same thing with most video editing programs or photo editing applications.

No-Fisheye-still.jpg

No fisheye.

Actually, you can make a single frame movie, which is what I did here. Then I brought it into Photoshop and exported a jpeg. You can do the same thing with most video editing programs or photo editing applications.

View attachment 3921

No fisheye.
...but it does have perspective distortion.

Image >> Movie >> Frame Grab >> Jpeg isn't really what I would call "removing the fisheye from an image. That's a workaround to cobble it together. Sure, it works, but it's not the select all >> Remove Fisheye >> Done that I think most people would prefer.

Well no, of course it's not Steve, but the original post was do use free software. Personally, I don't download and use free software. I buy the tool that does the job. I like Gopro studio, but I also use things like Metcali, and other Prodad software, but I also have the full Adobe CC subscription. This is not typical of the members of this forum.

So I tried to help, spent some time showing how easily it was to do this using software they already owned.

Another one of those punishments for doing someone a good turn.

I'm done here.

I'm not steve. It wasn't a criticism. And I'm not sure who's punishing or being punished for anything.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarkHKB40